Jimmy Spencer | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jimmy Spencer

Aug 5, 2016
Nobby":3nzua9qg said:
Again. Jamille Matt. Ryan Brunt. Both played the lone striker role last year. Both contributed a hell of a lot more. You can play this role and contribute goals, if you're good enough.

And I fully understand the tactics and what is asked of Spencer. But it doesn't mean he couldn't be doing better at it.

Jamille Matt was a poor hold up player for such a big lad, slightly selfish and scored a grand total of 7 goals in his Argyle career. I do feel history judges him a lot better than it should, bearing in mind Brunt getting injured was the big shift in dynamics that saw us start dropping points. If Matt was so good why did we start dropping points? Something changed in our style of play without Brunt that hindered our counter attack style. Matt simply didn't hold it up and preserve possession as effectively.

Personally I consider Brunt a stronger option than Jimmy Spencer, but not Matt. Being a good striker is not all about goals.

Duncan Ferguson had more than 320 Premier League appearances, and only occasionally did he contribute even half of the 20 goal a season target, more often than not he didn't even hit 10 goals in all comps. And yet he played entire seasons for various top flight clubs. Ryan Taylor's goal record is comparatively terrible, but what he contributes to the team cannot be overstated. There's always a queue of managers wanting to sign him.

Jun 14, 2006
Benson, Oxon
Can't be bothered to trawl through 9 pages of bashing....all I can say is I remember the last game (Doncaster) where in the 2nd half he collected the ball from a 'hoof out' and held it for 6-7 seconds, going left and right with no outlet!!! That time, in footballing terms, is an age to keep hold of the ball. He is good at doing what DA wants h to do and won't ever be a "20 goal a season" striker. DA wants a SQUAD of goal scorers and it appears he has one. Long may this last......

Mar 14, 2009
Bad passing and losing pocession is a tactic?

Isolating your lone forward so he has no help is tactic?

If this was a tactic, is it also a tactic then that Argyle concede 3-5 clear goal scoring chances a game?

The problem I have is that we don't defend well enough to play like this. Doncaster, Cambridge, Mansfield were wins not because we just defended well but because the opposition couldn't take the gift wrapped chances we presented to them that day.

Spencer had a poor game on Sunday. His control at times left him down. Yet its very hard some of the criticism he gets because he has got no help whatsoever at times and he is meant to make something of a high, lofted punt to him normally against two very physical centre backs.

Personally, I don't get why we have to play like this when teams on a lesser budget and have inferior players seems to be able play football. Maybe you would see a much better Spencer if we kept the ball on the floor to him and supporte him better.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Knibbsworth":32cl628c said:
Nobby":32cl628c said:
Again. Jamille Matt. Ryan Brunt. Both played the lone striker role last year. Both contributed a hell of a lot more. You can play this role and contribute goals, if you're good enough.

And I fully understand the tactics and what is asked of Spencer. But it doesn't mean he couldn't be doing better at it.

Jamille Matt was a poor hold up player for such a big lad, slightly selfish and scored a grand total of 7 goals in his Argyle career. I do feel history judges him a lot better than it should, bearing in mind Brunt getting injured was the big shift in dynamics that saw us start dropping points. If Matt was so good why did we start dropping points? Something changed in our style of play without Brunt that hindered our counter attack style. Matt simply didn't hold it up and preserve possession as effectively.

Personally I consider Brunt a stronger option than Jimmy Spencer, but not Matt. Being a good striker is not all about goals.

Duncan Ferguson had more than 320 Premier League appearances, and only occasionally did he contribute even half of the 20 goal a season target, more often than not he didn't even hit 10 goals in all comps. And yet he played entire seasons for various top flight clubs. Ryan Taylor's goal record is comparatively terrible, but what he contributes to the team cannot be overstated. There's always a queue of managers wanting to sign him.

Our collapse last year was down to our defence capitulating. Something Sonny Bradley has fixed this year.

Jul 13, 2006
Knibbsworth":sydli9um said:
Nobby":sydli9um said:

Matt had a good goals to game ratio for us and he held the ball up reasonably. Ok Wembley was poor, but he wasn't alone.
Spencer does a job at league 2 level.
Adams has worked out that we can play this way at league 2 because not only do we on the whole defend well the finishing of our opponents usually isn't great.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
IJN":375d066c said:
Argy1e":375d066c said:
It can't be that much of a mistake if we're fighting for the league title. Maybe Adams just understands and appreciates the role he has given Spencer more than half the people on Pasoti do.

Maybe he even understands FOOTBALL more!

Worth a thought! :twisted:

WOW, hang on a minute Ian, that`s a bit radical even for PASOTI. :greensmile:

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Nobby":14hzcmeb said:

Nobby, Jamille Matt for Blackpool this term:- Appearances = 29 in the league
Goals = 03 in the league
Assists = 00 in the league

Not exactly setting the world on fire.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
samjones":2e3hawe5 said:
Argy1e":2e3hawe5 said:
samjones":2e3hawe5 said:
Frank Spencer makes Nick Chadwick look prolific as a striker
Taken footballing friends to a few games and they all have commented on what a cart horse of a striker he is and how the hell we are at the top of the league with him as our main striker.

I know he has a thankless task blah blah but it would help if he could do it properly.
Taylor is far better at it as well as looking like he could hit a barn door occasionally.

We will need a better plan than Spencer in league 1 or it will be a brief visit
Why then in the games where Taylor has started recently and been replaced by Spencer have we always looked better when Spencer came on?

We haven't and quite the opposite when Taylor replaced frank we have immediately looked a threat.

Spencer isn't mobile, has poor control, jumps too early and never wins a header, gives away loads of fouls and couldn't score in a brothel.
Must be one of the worst strikers ever at the club.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous comment I've read on Pasoti this season....and I've read a few ;)

Jan 3, 2013
jespafc":234ut7n2 said:
samjones":234ut7n2 said:
Argy1e":234ut7n2 said:
samjones":234ut7n2 said:
Frank Spencer makes Nick Chadwick look prolific as a striker
Taken footballing friends to a few games and they all have commented on what a cart horse of a striker he is and how the hell we are at the top of the league with him as our main striker.

I know he has a thankless task blah blah but it would help if he could do it properly.
Taylor is far better at it as well as looking like he could hit a barn door occasionally.

We will need a better plan than Spencer in league 1 or it will be a brief visit
Why then in the games where Taylor has started recently and been replaced by Spencer have we always looked better when Spencer came on?

We haven't and quite the opposite when Taylor replaced frank we have immediately looked a threat.

Spencer isn't mobile, has poor control, jumps too early and never wins a header, gives away loads of fouls and couldn't score in a brothel.
Must be one of the worst strikers ever at the club.

Quite possibly the most ridiculous comment I've read on Pasoti this season....and I've read a few ;)
This Season? I think that incredible comment must enter the pantheon of the worst EVER comments. I wonder sometimes if some posters on here have the remotest idea about the game

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
justanotherfan":2nf9u6tv said:
Nobby":2nf9u6tv said:

Goals = 03 in the league

Oh I know. I was only using him in comparative terms during his time with us because he played the same role as Spencer.

This is actually Spencer's worst season ever in terms of goals to games.

justanotherfan

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
Nobby":2ixyhaek said:
justanotherfan":2ixyhaek said:
Nobby":2ixyhaek said:

Goals = 03 in the league

Oh I know. I was only using him in comparative terms during his time with us because he played the same role as Spencer.

This is actually Spencer's worst season ever in terms of goals to games.

Understood mate.

Jan 14, 2007
Well in light of this ten page thread, I watched Spencer closely today to marvel at his hold up play, running the channels and of course goalscoring instinct - what I witnessed again for the umpteenth time this season from Jimmy was absolute carp. Best signing of the summer? Really?

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
Or chase, close down, tackle, head or even control the ball.