Jimmy Spencer | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jimmy Spencer

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I well remember people slagging off Stevie Adams and Trigger and I repeat if you can't see what Jimmy Spencer brings to the team as the lone striker then I can't help you. Thankfully Derek Adams will have him as one of the first names on the team sheet for Saturday, well played Jimmy.

Aug 8, 2014
Spencer might not be everyones cup of tea but his positional sense, team play and work ethic really puts the likes of Garita to shame!
Glad we have him and another player that follows Adams tactics to the letter!

Jul 3, 2013
Spencer played a massive part in our early season performances that took us top of the league, he nor Taylor are fit and with the team knowing too well it was going to be more about keeping shape and chasing the ball then I guess Adams viewed Spencer as a little bit fitter to start.
Anybody who thinks he offers nothing is quite clearly on acid or some other drug :banghead:

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Taylor is the best of a pretty average bunch. Striker has to be the priority in the summer.

Even as a 'clever' striker as some people have dubbed him, he can't be scoring 2 goals a season. That's just not good enough.

He's been OK of late, but yesterday he was truly terrible. Tough job, admittedly, but so much possession lost and so little impact on the game.

Frank Butcher

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Oct 9, 2003
Gairloch
Larry David":dlsyqp9t said:
I well remember people slagging off Stevie Adams and Trigger and I repeat if you can't see what Jimmy Spencer brings to the team as the lone striker then I can't help you. Thankfully Derek Adams will have him as one of the first names on the team sheet for Saturday, well played Jimmy.

Presumably because you don't know either ?

In the game I watched yesterday he was constantly beaten in the air, held up only a few balls during the entire game and I didn't see him charge down any attempted passes from their defenders. Last Saturday was a similar story. Repeating what I said on the match day thread, you need more mobility and/or strength from a lone forward.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Frank_Butcher":zre22hr4 said:
Larry David":zre22hr4 said:

Presumably because you don't know either ?

In the game I watched yesterday he was constantly beaten in the air, held up only a few balls during the entire game and I didn't see him charge down any attempted passes from their defenders. Last Saturday was a similar story. Repeating what I said on the match day thread, you need more mobility and/or strength from a lone forward.

Well I do actually Francis. Adams has tried others in the lone striker role notably Slew and Garita, neither held the ball up or challenged effectively for headers in the way Jimmy Spencer does, you say he was constantly beaten in the air, I think he won his share and held the ball up far better than others we have available to play the role.

I don't include Taylor in this as I don't think he is 100% fit but then neither is Jimmy, my only criticism of Taylor is that he goes to ground too easily at times but other than that he is a great option and I think it's a close call between the two of them for starting.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Plymouth85Green":108gaqct said:
PL2 3DQ":108gaqct said:
Spencer was Man of the Match against Wycombe.

It looked like today he had a different role and was told to occupy the centre circle and stop balls from the Doncaster centre-backs going into the midfield.
Donny are a passing side and it appears Spencer's job was to stop the source of their passing game and force Donny to play long balls.
It may have looked like Spencer wasn't chasing balls but I think he was told to stay central.
Today was all about occupying space, much like the two games against Liverpool.

I wasn't there, but watch the game on the TV. I can't for the life of me remember Spencer closing down the space to stop the ball coming into the midfield players. The ball constently passed him throughout the game and he offer nothing going forward.

You missed Spencer's involvement in the two chances just after we scored - the Carey shot that went wide and the Jervis shot hitting the side netting.

Spencer does a thankless and selfless job and did it again yesterday for the benefit of the team.

Oct 24, 2010
Spencer is a very good player who had a difficult and thankless task yesterday. It is also interesting to hear Bradley say in his interview that Spencer was instrumental in his goal by blocking Bradley's marker and allowing Bradley a free run at the ball. These are the sort of things we "Armchair Managers" miss.

Mar 14, 2009
The problem with Spencer is that Argyle leave him isolated. Taylor does a much better job of getting something out of nothing.

Yet when he has the ball and team-mates around him its a different game.

The problem is he looks clumsy at times when its not working for him.

We saying our forwards are bang average. Yet look at what kind of supply they have to work with. Most of the time its booted down the field to them and against two very physical defenders they are often asked to do a thankless job and get something out of that kind of pass.

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
Except very rarely our supply to the forwards is a Luke out of the stratosphere kick, our CF has a man over his shoulder and one mopping up. Our nearest support is usually twenty yards behind, when we do go wide, we invariably cut back, rather than whip a cross over.

I really don't get what the fans expect of any of our strikers, when the supply is so bad?

Jul 10, 2013
Look at the 4 players across our midfield yesterday though, all four can score goals Jimmy mostly plays with his back to goal and allows them forward.
Jervis, Carey, Sarcevic, Kennedy. All carry a huge attacking threat when we counter, however they all can sit in and provide cover for our defence (Edit to add: barring maybe Kennedy). It's just the system we play, that front mans job is huge and Spencer did/does do it brilliantly.

Apr 9, 2011
Spencer is obviously a " marmite" player. Trigger was in a different class than him no comparison. We seemed to miss him at first when he got injured but is it me or does he not look fit? To me not the player he was before his injury

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
I've seen statues move faster than Spencer and that was before his injury.

Taylor is far better upfront so I'm amazed Spencer has back in unless Taylor is now carrying a knock

As regards Trigger comparisons - Spencer isn't fit to lace his boots