Jimmy Spencer | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Jimmy Spencer

Jan 3, 2013
Beyton_Green":mpfp86x3 said:
I struggle to remember a worse performance up front. Didn't run didn't challenge won nothing and on the odd occasion he got the ball lost it immediately.

Ok we will agree to differ, Jimmy is class

Apr 1, 2009
Steve Evans":1ip3a0ct said:
i hope he signs again for us.in a higher division he will show the class he has.

Aside from Spencer, I never really get the argument that a player will be better against better quality opposition.

Dec 16, 2004
Knarf Reprah":1sa5y3zj said:
Spencer was and still is Adams' best signing

Yep. He good in the air, quick, has great control and scores a hatfull.

Emperor's new clothes spring to mind.

About time you told us we " don't understand the game".

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Spencer was Man of the Match against Wycombe.

It looked like today he had a different role and was told to occupy the centre circle and stop balls from the Doncaster centre-backs going into the midfield.
Donny are a passing side and it appears Spencer's job was to stop the source of their passing game and force Donny to play long balls.
It may have looked like Spencer wasn't chasing balls but I think he was told to stay central.
Today was all about occupying space, much like the two games against Liverpool.

Dec 16, 2004
All games with a defensive bias are about occupying space.

Do you seriously think Adams tells him to miscontrol the ball, to give it away when you have it and to miscue a simple chance when you have one.

If that's the case then yep I don't understand the game.

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
He might have scuffed a shot, gave the ball away a few times and lost out in a tackle or two - could also be describing Carey in any game you pick. He did his job today yet is the one singled out for criticism.

Dec 16, 2004
OK, so his job was to occupy space. I've got a big fat mate who can do that.

Taylor immediately looked a better option in every way when he came on but the Spencer cognoscenti know better.

Look in my opinion 10 men of Argyle beat 11 men of Donny today.

Aug 24, 2011
Assessing a striker is incredibly simple, does he do his job, score goals and get his name on the score sheet. At the moment no, until he does that he isn't good enough and isn't doing his job.

Jul 10, 2013
Sorry but when you're instructed by Adams to sit in, not chase the defenders and keep tight with the midfield, how on Earth can he also be on the last man ready to bring the ball down for the rest of the team? He did tremendously well against a pair of centre-halves who are playing for a team who are top of the league, Taylor didn't do much of that when he came on! It's by far the hardest position to play in our team at the moment

up the line

🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
NJS37":35nrhu26 said:
Sorry but when you're instructed by Adams to sit in, not chase the defends and keep tight with the midfield, how on Earth can he also be on the last man ready to bring the ball down for the rest of the team? He did tremendously well against a pair of centre-halves who are playing for a team who are top of the league, Taylor didn't do much of that when he came on! It's by far the hardest portion to play in our team at the moment

Taylor came on and within a minute had turned one of their centre backs, got a shot away and forced a corner.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Knarf Reprah":1lja4ik5 said:
Spencer was and still is Adams' best signing

I agree that Jimmy Spencer was a good signing and did well during our long unbeaten run but I can't agree that he is Adams' best signing.

Surely, that title goes to Sonny Bradley this season and Graham Carey last season. I think that one of the reasons for our recent 'blip' was due to the 'awkward' injury that Bradley sustained against Cambridge. I think that he played through it in the Exeter game, went off against Leyton Orient and then came back, to his credit, before he was fully fit.

Dec 22, 2015
PL2 3DQ":3okk5euc said:
Spencer was Man of the Match against Wycombe.

It looked like today he had a different role and was told to occupy the centre circle and stop balls from the Doncaster centre-backs going into the midfield.
Donny are a passing side and it appears Spencer's job was to stop the source of their passing game and force Donny to play long balls.
It may have looked like Spencer wasn't chasing balls but I think he was told to stay central.
Today was all about occupying space, much like the two games against Liverpool.

I wasn't there, but watch the game on the TV. I can't for the life of me remember Spencer closing down the space to stop the ball coming into the midfield players. The ball constently passed him throughout the game and he offer nothing going forward.

Dec 22, 2015
GreenThing":1i8m86t7 said:
He might have scuffed a shot, gave the ball away a few times and lost out in a tackle or two - could also be describing Carey in any game you pick. He did his job today yet is the one singled out for criticism.

But Carey has offered much more in every aspect than Spencer. So you can forgive a player for miss placing passes or shots when he scores and creates a hat full of chances every season.

Mar 18, 2006
Can hold the ball up, but offers little else in my opinion. Taylor does a similar job and is more mobile and offers more of a Goal threat .
Spencer often reminds me of a centre half who is pushed forward for the last 10 mins of a game . Adams rates himm though and it's his opinion that counts .