Incoming later (Gregg Wylde signs) | Page 9 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Incoming later (Gregg Wylde signs)

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Frank are you suggesting DA has been poor in his "hiring" since becoming manager?

Far from it in my eyes.

Look at a list of some of Argyle's best ever signings all technically gifted, hardly taken from the upper tier!!

Paul Mariner - Chorley
Sir Thomas - Newport
Steve Castle - Orient
Paul Dalton - Hartlepool
Garry Nelson - Swindon
David Friio - Valence

Superstars dont have to graduate from the youth ranks of Manchester United. We were all massively under-whelmed at Bradley, Fox, Yann & Sarcevic, they all turned out ok.

Adams is building a 20-24 man squad, there are bound to be a few that fail, for various reasons, attitude, injury, circumstance, but DA's record for us shouldn't be remotely in question.

Oct 31, 2015
This signing along with the Exeter lad dont really fill me with anticipation. Gregg could not cut in lg 1 last season and I was surprised he went up a league when he left us. His final ball was woeful at times. I think this signing was heart against head. Anyway he is here so welcome back pilgrim. Now go and prove me wrong on the pitch

Mar 14, 2009
I cant say I'm particular excited about his return because he was a one dimensional who couldn't cross. Although we say this how many times did Wylde pick out Jervis or vice versa. I just think his percentage of decent crosses was poor and I would of liked to go for a player who focus is more on great delivery eg Carlise Utd's no 10 Nicky Adams, more than being blessed with pace.

Feb 2, 2007
The issue with crosses was resolved last season when our wide lads decided to rarely cross the ball in open play as we mostly had one striker against 3 or 4 defenders in the box. Worked well, we got promoted. Wylde will just need to be more selective when he crosses. I remember plenty of decent crosses from Wylde with no one on the end of it. I remember some bad ones too but then every winger we have ever had from Scott Sinclair to Craig Skinner delivered the sublime, the average and the pig ugly.

Welcome back Greg, we will go Wylde, Wilde, wild.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Wylde will definitely stay wide which is something Kennedy didn't do, his habit was cutting inside to good effect.

It's probably no coincidence that two left-backs were also signed today, they will be kept busy because Wylde was not the best for helping out his left-back. :)

Adams' whole gameplan hinges on Carey, if he leaves Adams might play with two strikers who will be supplied by two of the several wingers we now have. If Carey stays he will more likely play in his usual position just behind the striker and the widemen, or at least one of them, will be the usual converted striker.

Wylde's wild crosses might be more effective with two strikers, if the first striker misses the cross the second striker will be arriving at the far post to meet the over hit cross.

Jan 27, 2012
To the poster above, Dalton and Castle were both very highly sought after footballers who only came to Argyle because MacCauley was going through a phase of throwing big money at the club. They were clearly Championship standard even though Argyle were in the equivalent of League One. Didn't Dalton cost over £250,000 nearly 25 years ago ? Boy, he was a fantastic player.

Mar 14, 2009
PL2 3DQ":vxcumzxv said:
Wylde will definitely stay wide which is something Kennedy didn't do, his habit was cutting inside to good effect.

It's probably no coincidence that two left-backs were also signed today, they will be kept busy because Wylde was not the best for helping out his left-back. :)

Adams' whole gameplan hinges on Carey, if he leaves Adams might play with two strikers who will be supplied by two of the several wingers we now have. If Carey stays he will more likely play in his usual position just behind the striker and the widemen, or at least one of them, will be the usual converted striker.

Wylde's wild crosses might be more effective with two strikers, if the first striker misses the cross the second striker will be arriving at the far post to meet the over hit cross.

Don't you think Sarcevic will be ear marked for the Carey role? I think he loves getting into the box. That's the problem with Carey at CAM. He loved to supply the cross but this often meant unless one of the deeper midfielders got in the box there was a lack of numbers.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Most Millwall fans didn't think he was given a proper chance and would have liked to have seen more of him. Hardly like he left there with terrible reviews.

Welcome back Gregg.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
So Wylde ahead of Grant in our pecking order?

Always remember how Wylde looked when we were in front at Notts and Adams took him off in 1st half. I am surprised he has returned.

Guess it's positive to have two players in competition for each starting shirt.

Mar 23, 2008
A couple of points based on some of the negative posts here. If Wyldes crossing was more consistent, he would be playing at a higher level. Other than, for a winger he's got the lot so if we/he can improve which I'm sure he can then he could be a real asset. If he doesn't improve he could be on the bench behind Grant or Ainsworth but what a good injection of pace to be able to bring on and attack a tiring full back with 20 mins to go. There are positives, if you want to see them.

Jan 17, 2010
It's easy to fit Wylde in your team,play 2 up from 1 goes to pen spot,the other near the corner flag50/50 chance of being a decent cross

Jul 3, 2006
Have to look at these signings in the context of the squad as a whole. Last year we lost far too many games at home against teams set up to defend and counter attack who we couldn't break down. Players like Wylde, Ainsworth, Lameiras have added an ability to burn a full back or thread a through-ball that we didn't have last season and will be useful in those situations. With a squad of 20+ senior players already signed up, they aren't necessarily going to play every week.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Brixton 'ill Pilgrim":20clo7yg said:
Have to look at these signings in the context of the squad as a whole. Last year we lost far too many games at home against teams set up to defend and counter attack who we couldn't break down. Players like Wylde, Ainsworth, Lameiras have added an ability to burn a full back or thread a through-ball that we didn't have last season and will be useful in those situations. With a squad of 20+ senior players already signed up, they aren't necessarily going to play every week.

If I was a tired opposing full back defending the Demport at HP I would not like to see Wylde warming up in the 75th minute or thereabouts. Raw pace in a footrace. He was criticised for poor crossing when RR was in the box but I remember lots of good crosses whipping through the 6 yard box with no-one there. I also thought he got into the box himself well when it was on the other flank and good in the air for a littl'un. Welcome back, good squaddie!! :thumbs: