Incoming later (Gregg Wylde signs) | Page 8 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Incoming later (Gregg Wylde signs)

Sep 6, 2006
Trinity Green":32gb3e5i said:
None of the signings so far have been, i'd suggest, 'big' signings so maybe we're saving the budget for the odd 'marquee' signing or 3 to come in the next week or so....... :thumbup:

hmmm 'big signings'. :facepalm: I just cant see Messi coming somehow no matter how hard we try to persuade him.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Keepitgreen":g7lpep15 said:
dunlop":g7lpep15 said:
We are now shopping on the bargain shelf of poundland.
Some fans were saying the same last season (maybe you Mike) but it worked out okay. Let's wait and see how it goes.

Bob not quite correct I did not say the bargain shelf of Poundland last season. there is no doubt DA worked wonders with most probably the lowest budget in real terms last season, albeit with the poorest promotion team I have seen along with some of the worst home performances I have witnessed.

Most of the players DA signed he has moved on not good enough would I take that this season I'd snap your hands off but somewhere along the way we need to bring in more quality.

I'm not prejudging the new players just making a comment that the budget does not look that good.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":k6mhw038 said:
Trinity Green":k6mhw038 said:
None of the signings so far have been, i'd suggest, 'big' signings so maybe we're saving the budget for the odd 'marquee' signing or 3 to come in the next week or so....... :thumbup:

hmmm 'big signings'. :facepalm: I just cant see Messi coming somehow no matter how hard we try to persuade him.

Context is everything, of course he doesn't mean genuinely big signings.

Any disappointment from me comes from the rationale that if we could sign Scottish based players with pedigree like Carey, Wylde, Goodwillie, Jervis etc in League 2... then surely we'd be going for the next level of SPL player in League 1.

I guess Ainsworth might be in that category, but there's a slight worry that we seem to have signed players that we would have been looking at in League 2.

greenplumber

Brickfields Donor
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jun 10, 2015
Welcome back Greg hope you have a great season and prove the doubters wrong.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Give me half a dozen hungry guys climbing the ladder, than half a dozen on their way down looking for one last pay day.
I haven't seen enough of anyone purchased (Wylde aside) to justify hero worship or sharpening knives,but what i do know is that DA has got alot more right than he has wrong during his tenure, so lets just place our faith in the guy. I know that Edwards was the focus of alot of L1 attention, so it bodes well we beat geography and got him here.
Wylde like a big chunk of L1/L2 wingers is wholly frustrating one week and capable of brilliance the next.
What is clear is that DA believes a slightly different method is needed in L1 and the encouraging that he has the faith and belief to make that judgement call now rather than 4-5 months into the season.
We've bemoaned the lack of width and pace in our side and DA has addressed it, lets leave it at that and wish all new and returning players the very best.

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Voice_of_Reason":q7hz3o2k said:
Give me half a dozen hungry guys climbing the ladder, than half a dozen on their way down looking for one last pay day.
I haven't seen enough of anyone purchased (Wylde aside) to justify hero worship or sharpening knives,but what i do know is that DA has got alot more right than he has wrong during his tenure, so lets just place our faith in the guy. I know that Edwards was the focus of alot of L1 attention, so it bodes well we geography and got him here.
Wylde like a big chunk of L1/L2 wingers is wholly frustrating one week and capable of brilliance the next.
What is clear is that DA believes a slightly different method is needed in L1 and the encouraging that he has the faith and belief to make that judgement call now rather than 4-5 months into the season.
We've bemoaned the lack of width and pace in our side and DA has addressed it, lets leave it at that and wish all new and returning players the very best.

You sir are the voice of reason .

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Well said VOR! Don't think we need to 'fawn' over every signing but some of the negative posters on PASOTI need to look at themselves....and maybe stop hiding behind pseudonyms. Would they be so 'brave' (keyboard warriors) then?

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
dunlop":p01dmiz3 said:
Keepitgreen":p01dmiz3 said:
dunlop":p01dmiz3 said:
We are now shopping on the bargain shelf of poundland.
Some fans were saying the same last season (maybe you Mike) but it worked out okay. Let's wait and see how it goes.

Bob not quite correct I did not say the bargain shelf of Poundland last season. there is no doubt DA worked wonders with most probably the lowest budget in real terms last season, albeit with the poorest promotion team I have seen along with some of the worst home performances I have witnessed.

Most of the players DA signed he has moved on not good enough would I take that this season I'd snap your hands off but somewhere along the way we need to bring in more quality.

I'm not prejudging the new players just making a comment that the budget does not look that good.
I'll let the manager worry about who he brings in. At the moment he's got my backing, whether he spends 500k or a quid in Poundland.

Welcome back Greg and good luck.

Jan 3, 2013
Duncan Rice":3d45nduc said:
Well said VOR! Don't think we need to 'fawn' over every signing but some of the negative posters on PASOTI need to look at themselves....and maybe stop hiding behind pseudonyms. Would they be so 'brave' (keyboard warriors) then?

So Adams signed 14 players......how many were successful, how many moved on?
IMHO we should be looking at players from good league one sides or lower championship teams in order to have any success....we are not!

Plus some of us "keyboard warriors" do not hide behind pseudonyms

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Knarf Reprah":fhz2knwl said:
Duncan Rice":fhz2knwl said:

So Adams signed 14 players......how many were successful, how many moved on?
IMHO we should be looking at players from good league one sides or lower championship teams in order to have any success....we are not!

Plus some of us "keyboard warriors" do not hide behind pseudonyms

From last season:

Still here: Miller, Bradley, Songo'o, McCallum, Fox, Threlkeld, Sokolik, Taylor, Sarcevic, Blissett.

Moved on: Ijaha, Smith, Spencer, Goodwillie, Donaldson, Osbourne, Bulvitis, Slew.

So more just under half have moved on, but I'd say only Osbourne, Goodwillie and Ijaha were failed signings, two because of injury, one for legal reasons. All the rest had positive contributions to the season, but weren't good enough to step up a league.

So funnily enough, I'm gonna give DA the benefit of the doubt for a while on the new crop.

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
Next week Argyle sign world's shortest and tallest man to get onto Wylde's crosses.
A player who didn't want to hang around when we didn't go up after a particularly spineless performance at Wembley, was found wanting in the league we're going into and was hauled off either at half time or before in several games whilst he was with us.
I was feeling a modicum of interest building for the season but this 'statement of intent' has quashed that flat.
Perhaps on the way down he can collect the ball that he managed to cross over the roof of Yeovil's stand

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
As we're picking on individual displays how about trying to unwedge the exocet he put into the corner of the goal net on the first game of the season that year?

up the line

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 7, 2010
Manchester
IJN":3cj7fzm9 said:
As we're picking on individual displays how about trying to unwedge the exocet he put into the corner of the goal net on the first game of the season that year?

A DVD compendium of his sh1te crosses would last a lot lot longer than his greatest goals. I remember Neil Illman scoring a screamer too.