Hourihane!!!! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Hourihane!!!!

Aug 22, 2006
tagz":3sutubtw said:
MAZZA26":3sutubtw said:
Lundan Cabbie":3sutubtw said:
If he was being sold to one of the biggest clubs in the world then you might have twisted their arm for a bit more. Hourihane wasn't breaking into the Englsnd side, he wasn't on a lucrative five year contract and he had just finished a season mid table in the Fourth Division. Zaha has gone backwards since leaving Palace but that wasn't foreseen nor was it the intention when he joined United.

Yes get what your saying and using Zaha as a comparison is a bit silly from me, but the gist of my point is that 200k for a decent league 1 potential championship player is low especially bearing in mind today's ridiculous prices.
If you were James Brent (as I am guessing he was the one who accepted the 3rd bid) what amount would you of accepted (including add ons) based on the fact he had 1 year on his contract having rejected a new one?

At least 500k with add ons. I don't care about a year left. We seem to always have an excuse as to why we've let a player go for tuppence. Barnsley must be pis@ing themselves!

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
MAZZA26":2ncp9wbp said:
tagz":2ncp9wbp said:
MAZZA26":2ncp9wbp said:
Lundan Cabbie":2ncp9wbp said:
If he was being sold to one of the biggest clubs in the world then you might have twisted their arm for a bit more. Hourihane wasn't breaking into the Englsnd side, he wasn't on a lucrative five year contract and he had just finished a season mid table in the Fourth Division. Zaha has gone backwards since leaving Palace but that wasn't foreseen nor was it the intention when he joined United.

Yes get what your saying and using Zaha as a comparison is a bit silly from me, but the gist of my point is that 200k for a decent league 1 potential championship player is low especially bearing in mind today's ridiculous prices.
If you were James Brent (as I am guessing he was the one who accepted the 3rd bid) what amount would you of accepted (including add ons) based on the fact he had 1 year on his contract having rejected a new one?

At least 500k with add ons. I don't care about a year left. We seem to always have an excuse as to why we've let a player go for tuppence. Barnsley must be pis@ing themselves!

Should have got enough at least to find an adequate replacement. Norburn is about 3 years behind where Conor is and cost zilch - a better Young replacement than Hourihane. I said it at the time and stand by it, Conor would have been worth more to us this season as a player and released on a free. That said, with Conor we'd be promoted this season without any doubt in my mind. He might have been more inclined to stick around if we became a League One club. All hypothetical of course, but I do agree with Mazza that we took a right muggins offer. Especially when you consider the amount the club actually received.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Laido":n8pjvwzp said:
We will regret letting go of Hourihane! 2 more goals today! I feel we've let another nugget go too cheaply

When you are a Club counting every penny, there is a fine line between 'letting a player go' and hanging on to him, when he wants away.

May 22, 2006
Two long range efforts from outside the box.

Mind you the score was 0-5 at the time.

Not sure we'd have been celebrating and waxing on about what a great player if we were losing 5-0 at home.

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
Morgan Schneiderlan is having a great season so far for Southampton when he wanted out in the summer. Just goes to show you can keep want-away players and they'll still do well for you.

Would we have just 10 points from a possible 21 with Hourihane? I don't think so.

Bubba

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 26, 2006
Think it's only fair to say he wanted to go, nothing to do with Argyle letting him go.

He wanted out so we sold him and although tough it's the way we have to work to survive, it's hard to admit but no matter how big a club we think we are in this league, it's still the bottom tier of English football.

Dec 2, 2005
London
GreenSam":32uvixox said:
Morgan Schneiderlan is having a great season so far for Southampton when he wanted out in the summer. Just goes to show you can keep want-away players and they'll still do well for you.

Would we have just 10 points from a possible 21 with Hourihane? I don't think so.

Just 10 points? We are a point outside the play off places!

And if course it would have been better to keep him. But he had a year left on his contract and would have either walked next summer or would have been prised off us in January.

£300k is a high fee for a 4th tier player with a year on his contract. Can we not just support the players that are here and enjoy the success Conor is having at a higher level? Much less stressful than deluding ourselves we had much choice in the matter and using it as a stick to beat the club with.

Hopefully there are some juicy add ons in there and he doesn't "do a Gosling".

Feb 21, 2008
Plymouth
I thought it was £200k. That was the fee widely reported anyway.

And it isn't 'deluding ourselves that we could have keep him'. If we told the player and told Barnsley 'tough luck you're staying for your contract' as Southampton did with Schneiderlan then we would have kept him. It all depends whether you think doing that would have been worth it. Looking at the form Schneiderlan has put in so far this season, that makes me think it very well could have done. See also Charlie Adam for Blackpool when he wanted to leave in the January. It's not totally impossible.

Having this team with Hourihane added to it would have probably made promotion a lot more likely. Yes we got £200k but how much more for a Wembley play-off win and promotion?

All I can see so far is a repeat of last season. One very good and professional win being followed by self-inflicted wounds ad infinitum. That'll be enough to get us top ten again but there's not the killer bit of class. The rest of the players are all stronger than last season but Hourihane would have been the last ingredient needed.

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
You may be right Sam but JB is a money man first and foremost, which usually means short term gains win over possible long term ones. So it as never going to happen. Also there were good attacking midfielders available in the transfer market, eg Mousinho now at Burton. But we didn't go for them. Fundamentally we are not set up as an attacking team, in my view

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
If we HAD to sell him, we shouldn't have accepted any less than what JS would have said the cost was to replace him. As it is we got about 70/80k for him and that hasn't been invested into a replacement midfielder. I won't point fingers at who is to blame for the lack of investment in that position, but I do believe that the decision not to invest in an adequate replacement is potentially costing the team promotion.