Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm) | Page 10 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Home Park Development (PCC agenda 14th December 2pm)

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Biggs":868otjva said:
I agree with a lot of that, Ollie. But to say 'the Plymouthians you left behind who kept their faith in the city' is completely and utterly wrong.

You cannot possibly say that all Argyle fans who have left Plymouth have done so because they have lost faith in the city and imply they have 'left behind' other Plymothians. I imagine most have been forced away due to lack of jobs or various other necessities.

I may have misread what you've said, in which case I apologise. But I don't think so, and it leaves a bit of a nasty taste in the mouth.

No need to apologise Biggs, on reading it again I think my wording makes it sound more inflammatory than I meant it to be.

By "losing faith in the city" I merely meant those who were forced away from Plymouth because the job market doesn't offer the same opportunities as other cities. I mentioned it in the paragraph above, it was a poor choice of words to shorten it.

As I say I think the only way Plymouth's job market will grow is through investments such as this one. It's things like HHP and the knock-on investment that follow that means Plymouthians of the future aren't forced to make the same tough choice between home and their dream job.

The point I intended to make was that it's for those who chose home to decide what home actually looks like. Some choose the career, social life, etc. and that's fine; thing is in doing so I think they forfeit the right to say what the path not travelled should look like. There's no reason why Plymouth can't one day offer the lifestyle and the career; life in the city will have to change a bit to accommodate it but that's down to those who live there to decide whether it's worth it.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
That’s fair :thumbup:, but I would still question the sentiment.

Some people obviously do leave out of ambition for a dream job or to seek a different lifestyle or more money, but plenty leave just to get ANY sort of job. I’m saying it’s often not as much a choice as you present it, so to say those people then forfeit the right to have a say, seems harsh.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Is it categorically the case that objections are solely from those residing from outside of the city and all letters of support are from those within the boundaries?

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
JB is hopeful of a start in early 2018.
For those concerned about the offices they are well within the guidelines in Pymouth City Council's Area Action Plan.

Herald

Princerock

♣️ PASALB Member
Aug 14, 2011
You can tell by the membership of PASALB how the job market is doing in Plymouth.

Plymouth will never have significance until it is served with road and rail infrastructure that a city of a quarter of a million plus require, and the lack of an Airport holds back development and growth as well....commerce looks elsewhere for these good links to the wider world that goes on growing, forgetting backwaters like Plymouth.

As for the Grandstand development it should stand alone before the Council planners, without the ball and chain of James Brent's piggy backing personal development being sneaked in under the radar.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
Princerock":1xlwsxiy said:
You can tell by the membership of PASALB how the job market is doing in Plymouth.

Plymouth will never have significance until it is served with road and rail infrastructure that a city of a quarter of a million plus require, and the lack of an Airport holds back development and growth as well....commerce looks elsewhere for these good links to the wider world that goes on growing, forgetting backwaters like Plymouth.

As for the Grandstand development it should stand alone before the Council planners, without the ball and chain of James Brent's piggy backing personal development being sneaked in under the radar.

Its hardly been sneaked in under the radar has it??

We do need better transport links to our City, but commerce in Plymouth is going the right way and is growing with lots of job creation, investment and developments happening.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I spend a a lot of time working around the country and I don't find living down here, just outside Plymouth, a handicap. I can fly from Exeter (40 mins away) to most of the places I need to get to and from Bristol (under 2 hours) to go further afield. It took me just as long to access the London airports when I lived in Hertfordshire. Also in this day many jobs are not bound by geography, I run most of my meetings online and so do many others. The road links could be better but I can drive to Birmingham in under 4 hours---Rail is crap I give you. I'm an outsider though I've been down here 7 years--but my sense is that Plymouth is going in the right direction and the proposed development, to me, seems another step in the right direction for the City and Argyle. I appreciate I don't have the emotional attachment of those born and bred here but from an objective point of view I can't see the problem--I also can't see the problem with the guy who is making this happen potentially making a few quid out of it.

Jul 18, 2011
Princerock":3of38xim said:

So would you have been prepared to stump up the 30-50k for the application that is being paid for by Akkeron? And that is a conservative estimate of cost.

Jan 27, 2012
Ollieargyle9":1pqe0z0h said:
I think it's selfish and hugely unfair for people who have moved away; usually because Plymouth didn't offer them the job prospects they wanted, to stand in the way of a project that creates jobs and growth in the city.

I understand that Brent lives somewhere near Barnstable.
Hallett, the other major shareholder, lives in the USA !

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Upwards of £150k I reckon.

'Plymouth will never have any significance' - What a complete and utter prat you are mate. Stick to writing sick comments on GoS, it seems to be your style.

There you have it in buckets, the arrogance that some people with the sniff of the Thames up their nose seem to have. I worked with it all my working life and the truth is that people in the East are no better than those in the West, but some of them seem to think they are.

Yet another stupid comment from the man that comments regularly about Home Park but once boasted to me he'd hadn't been near the place for 30 years.

stewthenoo

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 24, 2005
YELVERTON
Daz":1go71y6k said:
Princerock":1go71y6k said:

Its hardly been sneaked in under the radar has it??

We do need better transport links to our City, but commerce in Plymouth is going the right way and is growing with lots of job creation, investment and developments happening.

Agree. From what I understand now, the grandstand and ice rink are going through with detailed planning (get the job done now) and the rest of the development is being put forward for outline planning.

Surely, those with Argyle at their heart would wish it this way? Grandstand is built (sorry, refurbished), massive revenue back to the club. James Brent signs off on his promise to the council in replacing the Pavilions Ice Rink. More funds released then for the hotel and retail build, supporting the use of the Grandstand on non match days. Anyone objecting to that needs to come forward with their millions and offer an alternative. Thank goodness we are not Blackpool.

Jan 31, 2010
Worcester
Massive revenue back to the club?! Based on what? We have to fund the cost of the loan which is likely to leave little profit to reinvest in the playing side.

For what it is worth I don’t live in Plymouth anymore. But my opinion on what’s right for Plymouth Argyle are just as valid as those that live within a sniffing distance from the club. It is completely and utterly irrelevant where you live. The proposed plans are not in my opinion good for the long term benefit of the club.

And before I get called pig headed again for daring to speak against the club (thanks Leigh) I have no issue with JB.

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":3nc2j1fd said:
Plymouth Argyle fine Dave, Plymouth?

I'll still sweat till the council actually give planning consent. Hopefully it will then shut the doom-mongers up. The final bit, the hotel, vets will tidy up that final area which is a bit of a shambles.

Jul 13, 2006
IJN":2ih7dv3d said:
Plymouth Argyle fine Dave, Plymouth?

Yes, because us foreigners bring income into the city.
I'll give you an example of where I live- Exmouth. People are passionate one way or another about the seafront being developed. Whether they're for or against development they recognise the value of visitors to the place and respect their views.