Development players released | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Development players released

Jun 22, 2015
Will be interesting to see how many 1st year pro contracts are given out at Exeter, because if they give out 4/5 and we give say 2, with another 2 Pro waste of space development contracts, then this answers a few questions...

who is investing in youth? Who wants youth to succeed? Who is producing players (Watkins and Ampadu going to make them 3/4 million)?

So if you had a talented son who had the option, which would you prefer, the club close to your house and heart, or the club who will develop him better?

:scarf:

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Green Army 2000":3lyi380o said:
Unfortunately Exeter have a very well run and professional academy with lots modern ideas and thinking including video analysis of games and classrooms sessions etc a fantastic new astro and training facilities that put ours to shame

Simon Hayward, their manager, is very well thought of nationally and the proof is in the pudding - they are producing better players

Exeter's is run very similarly to Cardiff City who have just taken on one of our released U16 players - and as such we will receive no compensation - How can we as a level three academy release and u16 who is signed by a level 1 academy??? - something aint right

Ours is run on a very tight budget and coaches such Aaron Cussack Ian Stonebridge and Phil Stokes are more modern thinking and I would believe be more inclined to use modern technology - I am afraid at present our academy players and apprentices suffer from a dated approach to training and development

I have seen four SWPL games this season St Blazey - was a 1-0 win which was far from an impressive performance against a bottom of the league team.

It is just too big a jump from SWPL to league football - the development players are simply not playing at a high enough standard to prepare them and get the experience for the first team.

I rated the left back Calver?? who had a nice touch and sweet left foot but now he's gone - but the rest I've seen I can't see making the jump to league football

These comments from 'Green Army 2000' are worrying if true. He seems to be pointing the finger at Kevin Hodges and I am convinced that Kevin and the staff who work with him do not deserve this type of criticism.

In a more recent post, he has gone even further with his criticism.

I have no doubt Kevin Hodges is very hard working and a dedicated employee. He was undoubtedly one of our greatest ever players. He was also undoubtedly manager of one of our worst ever teams.........
We all appear to be agreeing that our academy needs massive improvement, then why do you not attach one ounce of blame to Kevin??? He is the Academy Manager - so who else is responsible???? This and your defence of Harry Hodges does make me wonder if you are actually Harrys mum!!!

Some of these comments are unfortunate and unnecessary, particularly coming from (I assume) an Argyle supporter. I hope that someone close to the Argyle Academy is able to speak up and provide information to support the work of our Academy staff.

Apr 4, 2004
Yes it would be great to hear why they have consistently failed to make the most of the talent available to them, and have produced very few players that been given a good enough education in football to make the leap to the first team. It would also be good to find out why the journey through the academy cannot be a more pleasant experience,. It is kids that attend after all. If they ever get near the first team they will have had to endure a lot in their journey. So few will get even close yet many will harbour long term resentment towards coaches and the club. Some will be lost to football altogether. That is a problem clubs like Argyle have created and one they are and will continue to pay dearly for, until it's addressed.

Jan 20, 2004
My heart goes out to Kevin Hodges, Kevin Nancekivell, Phil Stokes and the rest of the coaching staff, they are doing a fantastic job with the limited resources of a category 3 academy where the odds are stacked against them compared to cats' 1 & 2.

My son Matthew joined Brentford (cat 2 academy) as an u10 and was with them to u13 when the owner decided to close the academy this time last year, as he did not feel it paid its way. The u13 squad had some fanastic talent and were practically unbeaten so when the closure was announced scouts from all over the country were swooping like vultures. Matt and a majority of his teamates were in an enviable position of recieving offers from a number of clubs and as they were out of contract could talk or trial with any of them.
Although living in Surrey Matt has green blood so came down to trial with Argyle, or at least put himself on their radar. He played with the u15 against West Brom and Southampton but had to cut his trial short with an injury.

Kevin Hodges wanted to offer Matt a contract but the number of various cat 3 restrictions re age, distance ( 40 mile radius) education etc invariably tied his hands behind his back. If Argyle were category 1 there would have been no problem.

Matt had a final choice of either Chelsea or Brighton, both cat 1, and chose Brigjton due to their state of art training, education and psychology facilities. He has spent the last year playing with the u15s & 16s and feels that most of the players he played with at Argyle would easily meet the standard of his teamates at Brighton.

At nearly every game there are club & international scouts, etc, so these kids are getting on 'the radar' something that Argyle kids are missing out on due to distance and category status. As mentioned earlier Argyle needs some radical thinking regarding the academy. My late father was a contributer to the Argyle foundation which is doing a great job in the circumstances but a lot more thinking and investment is needed if Argyle are to compete at youth level

Jun 22, 2015
Money and geography is a major factor Mike.

With the clubs recent cash influx, would love to see some going into the Academy, but realistically with Adams knowing he's only going to be around for another year or so, and him controlling club finances, cant see there being any change.

:scarf: