Development players released | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Development players released

Feb 9, 2013
To revert to the main topic of this thread, the release of the lads on the one-year 'development professional' contracts.
My view is that the released lads should try to follow the 'Isaac Vassell model'.
Isaac was also released at the age of 19. He then worked away at Truro for two years solid, learning the game at a decent non-League level (i.e. higher than SWPL) and maturing physically.
Then, last summer, he opted to try to establish himself at a higher level, having trials at Torquay in pre-season.
However, just as he was about to sign for the Gulls, he had the chance to trial at Luton. Their manager, Nathan Jones, liked what he saw, sufficiently to offer him a contract, commenting that after six months in their Reserve team, Isaac should have learned sufficient to be able to play in the League - and so it has proved!
What Luton possess (which Argyle don't) is a proper Reserve team. Exeter City also have a proper Reserve team.
In my view it's time, with the upturn in finances at Home Park, for Argyle to enter a team in the EFL Central League (South & West Division? I think the other teams in that competition are the likes of Barnet, Bournemouth, Bristol Rovers, Exeter, Newport, Swindon, and Wimbledon. I am sure that participation in this competition would accelerate the progress of Argyle's apprentices and other Academy products.

May 16, 2016
gordon bennett":39x6i2p5 said:
To revert to the main topic of this thread, the release of the lads on the one-year 'development professional' contracts.
My view is that the released lads should try to follow the 'Isaac Vassell model'.
Isaac was also released at the age of 19. He then worked away at Truro for two years solid, learning the game at a decent non-League level (i.e. higher than SWPL) and maturing physically.
Then, last summer, he opted to try to establish himself at a higher level, having trials at Torquay in pre-season.
However, just as he was about to sign for the Gulls, he had the chance to trial at Luton. Their manager, Nathan Jones, liked what he saw, sufficiently to offer him a contract, commenting that after six months in their Reserve team, Isaac should have learned sufficient to be able to play in the League - and so it has proved!
What Luton possess (which Argyle don't) is a proper Reserve team. Exeter City also have a proper Reserve team.
In my view it's time, with the upturn in finances at Home Park, for Argyle to enter a team in the EFL Central League (South & West Division? I think the other teams in that competition are the likes of Barnet, Bournemouth, Bristol Rovers, Exeter, Newport, Swindon, and Wimbledon. I am sure that participation in this competition would accelerate the progress of Argyle's apprentices and other Academy products.

Isn't / wasn't there some opposition to us being in such a reserve League because of the extra costs and hassle involved for the other teams to travel down, as well as the costs of us travelling ?

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
If those teams are able to make it to Exeter, why can they not make the extra 40 odd miles to Plymouth?

May 16, 2016
Ottawa Green":3s6dplff said:
If those teams are able to make it to Exeter, why can they not make the extra 40 odd miles to Plymouth?

Goodness knows, but I'm sure that in the past, it was part of the reason for the loss of such games.

Jul 6, 2011
Fat_green_belly":2myn6da8 said:
Always sad news. None of these boys made the bench or were loaned out apart from billy palfrey in a short spell
to torquay i recall. Ryan lane at least had a longer opportunity to impress after all his injuries.
I guess they didnt quite reach the standard required at the moment for pro level. Doesnt mean they
still cant make it as isaac vassell has proved recently. Argyle cannot wait 3/4 years for them all to
develop though.
I dont know enough about these development contracts to comment but hopefully argyle will sort if
necessary. I guess were now looking at the 2 centre backs rose and bentley along with fletcher as
potential squadders next season as they all have appeared in or around the first team this season.
Not forgetting rooney pf course who must be getting great experience under dave jones at hartlepool.
Thats what we need to do more of even to a lower standard.
As for the SWPL i noticed in the herald recently that parkway had signed a youngster on loan from
ECFC. So there you go perhaps tisdale reckons it might benefit his kids as well.

Rooney has hardly played for hartlepool in the last month, he's been a bench warmer while the team consistently loses. Even the coach praised Rooney when he did actually get on the pitch. The manager hasn't a clue.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I suspect that Louis Rooney was taken by Hartlepool, on loan, because someone in their management team recalled the 2 goals that he scored against them in the last game of the 2015/16 season. 2 contrasting goals; 1, a superb dipping strike from the corner of the penalty area and, the other, a typical goal poacher's effort from inside the 6 yard box. He certainly showed 2 different attributes of his game on that occasion and we are still left wondering if, played in a striker's role, he could score more like it at this level and above. A lot of supporters at that game suggested that the Hartlepool players were already 'on holiday'.

It was interesting that Tyler Harvey also did well in that game and was invited to Hartlepool for trials after Rooney had gone there on loan.

It seems unlikely that this will happen at Argyle but it would be interesting to see Rooney played in an attacking formation with the opportunity to show at what level he is capable of scoring goals.

Jun 22, 2015
Think we would all agree that the Academy is run on a VERY tight budget.

Lets look at it this way, them up the road are producing million pound players, why aren't we (ok good dollar for Ben P)

Would love to see JB put his hand in his pocket, and not just let the Academy live with hand outs all over the place.

Needs-
Better facilities (larger playing areas, not just keep ball on a postage stamp)
More qualified coaches
Tournament experience (not just one teak in the Milk cup once a year)
A Vision
:scarf:

Aug 5, 2015
Why don't we join a proper reserve league and play our " home" games somewhere closer to Bristol which everyone knows is the centre of the universe. I'm sure we could do a deal with Mangotsfield or Taunton for example? Then we could play our Penninsula league games at Home Park.

Feb 18, 2017
Unfortunately Exeter have a very well run and professional academy with lots modern ideas and thinking including video analysis of games and classrooms sessions etc a fantastic new astro and training facilities that put ours to shame

Simon Hayward, their manager, is very well thought of nationally and the proof is in the pudding - they are producing better players

Exeter's is run very similarly to Cardiff City who have just taken on one of our released U16 players - and as such we will receive no compensation - How can we as a level three academy release and u16 who is signed by a level 1 academy??? - something aint right

Ours is run on a very tight budget and coaches such Aaron Cussack Ian Stonebridge and Phil Stokes are more modern thinking and I would believe be more inclined to use modern technology - I am afraid at present our academy players and apprentices suffer from a dated approach to training and development

I have seen four SWPL games this season St Blazey - was a 1-0 win which was far from an impressive performance against a bottom of the league team.

It is just too big a jump from SWPL to league football - the development players are simply not playing at a high enough standard to prepare them and get the experience for the first team.

I rated the left back Calver?? who had a nice touch and sweet left foot but now he's gone - but the rest I've seen I can't see making the jump to league football

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
It's only going to get harder for them trying to break into a League 1 first team.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
For those who view this regularly, where do they see the pit-falls?

Players generally don't have the pedigree?
Training facilities and methods do not help them achieve their full potential?
Competitive nature of the First XI making it difficult to make the step up?

Not intended to start a Board/Manager bashing thread, just curious.

Feb 28, 2016
Pele10":npgt1n8z said:
any updates MarkM?

I believe it was reported in the paper, they are waiting to see for absolute certain what division they are going to be in next season.

There was this quote from Adams in an article on the club website.

“It’s up to us to see if the players who are not going to get first-team contracts deserve to get a pro-development contract and give them time to get to a first-team level.”
Read more at http://www.pafc.co.uk/news/article/2016 ... gdHhauy.99

Depends how you want to read that but I would say it could be interpreted that there are players who are going to be offered full pro contracts and then possibly some development contracts offered in addition.

Feb 28, 2016
Adam_R":3bxd1um5 said:
For those who view this regularly, where do they see the pit-falls?

Players generally don't have the pedigree?
Training facilities and methods do not help them achieve their full potential?
Competitive nature of the First XI making it difficult to make the step up?

Not intended to start a Board/Manager bashing thread, just curious.

I would certainly disagree with the first point, particularly with last year and this year. You only have to look at what last years lot did both with the year above and last season with the current second years. We have always been competitive with teams at an U18 level against clubs who do make pros of their players and often destroy them.

Second point, if they aren't great facilities we doing fine at an U18 level in spite of that.

Same for every club, every one is going for promotion, going for play offs or fighting to stay up a couple of wins or a couple of losses in a row and your sucked into one of those situations with the leagues so tight.

Despite the rhetoric, I feel it has just not been an interest of the last two first team managers. I sincerely hope Adams proves me wrong on that, no one would be happier to be proved wrong than me on this.

A year group including: Cory Harvey, Jamil Roberts, Owen Jones, Ben Steer, Jake Miller, Jack Calver and Bill Palfrey, for not a single one of them to get a single appearance in the first team?! If you went back to the end of their first year and said that would be the case, you would have been laughed at by anyone who had watched them.

I actually find that a scandalous waste of talent and I know who I think culpable and who I think complicit by association.