Decision time for 2nd year apprentices (merged) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Decision time for 2nd year apprentices (merged)

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
ming the merciless":3hb2ijyq said:
Its purely hypothesis but I wonder what Ben P would be doing if he'd come through at Exeter. Perhaps he would be even more highly rated and looking to play at the top level or maybe not, the truth is we'll never know. I'm more curious about why he seemed in such a hurry to get away in what looks very much like a sideways move.

For me BP was a huge success for our club but these are just to few and far between for my liking.
Money, pure and simple. The club wanted the transfer fee and BP wanted the pay rise which the club would not/could not match.

Apr 4, 2004
There are plenty of talented youngsters playing locally. I'm certain of that. Why is the lad mentioned above not trialing with us? He must be pretty decent to be on Southamptons radar. Argyle should be trying to assess why we are not an attractive option to youngsters.

I was chatting with a parent a while ago. His lad was offered a trial with us. He took him to a few sessions and left. The Dad told me that in his eyes his son wasn't going on trial, it was the club that was on trial because he didn't like what he had heard. They left and later got spotted by Exeter and signed for them. So what are they doing different. Or what are we doing different that seems to be putting lads/parents off. There are rumours of big money offers for some of their young players. How much money will pour into Exeter City before people wake up to the reality of it. How long before someone at our club says we need a slight change of direction with our youth system so we can close the gap and start catching up.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
I posted something similar a few years back regarding a student of mine who had been with Argyle, was let go and then was signed by Aston Villa a few weeks later.

I was told at the time that it's to do with the capacity that bigger clubs have and in a way that they have the funds to be able to take chances on some young players where clubs similar to Argyle can't.

That being said, Exeter seem to have a fairly decent and promising set-up compared to ours. I have no inner details of how the Argyle Youth set-up works/doesn't work but assuming that Exeter have a smaller youth budget to ours I can only assume it's their man management or relationships that they have with their younger players that makes the difference?

I've seen a few of the students go through the Argyle youth system, who have actively left because they weren't happy. One of whom was actually offered a year long deal with Argyle after his Apprenticeship ended but he chose to move to lower league local team instead.

Aug 5, 2015
So who are all these top players Exeter have produced who are going to be sold for 3 or 4 million. Please don't sat Wheeler as he was "discovered" by Brighton! Just goes to show you can't be right all of the time and how cyclical football is.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Even if there is no intention to disrupt and discredit our Academy, several 'supporters' are certainly not helping with unsubstantiated rumours and innuendo.

Our club is in the process of rebuilding all parts of its organisation after a decade of decline.

Is it really necessary to make unsubstantiated allegations about youngsters who have left our Academy for whatever reasons. Some will have left because they were not considered good enough. To date, on this thread, no one has named a lad who has left Argyle and went on to success with another Academy. Are we hearing from disgruntled parents or relatives here?

Most, if not all, of those who left in the last 6 or 7 years and made it into one of the other 91 clubs in EPL and EFL left because of the financial situation that the club was in.

Hopefully, the gradual progress of the club in the last 2 or 3 years will include products from our Academy.

We all want to see 'one (or more) of our own' playing for our club.

Feb 28, 2016
Keepitgreen":1qp15wfo said:
ming the merciless":1qp15wfo said:
Its purely hypothesis but I wonder what Ben P would be doing if he'd come through at Exeter. Perhaps he would be even more highly rated and looking to play at the top level or maybe not, the truth is we'll never know. I'm more curious about why he seemed in such a hurry to get away in what looks very much like a sideways move.

For me BP was a huge success for our club but these are just to few and far between for my liking.
Money, pure and simple. The club wanted the transfer fee and BP wanted the pay rise which the club would not/could not match.

There are a few points I would like to address on this topic, when I have more time but this is one point I would like to address straight away.

Of course money had a significant part to play in his move. Completely understandably, I would question anybody turning down the chance to between triple and quadruple their wages.

I honestly think job security was just a big factor, if not the single biggest factor in his decision making. He didn't know if he would be here in three months let alone three years! That is the impression I get from the public statements that have been made anyway.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
And that is the danger from drawing conclusions from public statements.

The money was better.
He had no loyalty to Argyle
We weren't prepared to break the wage strucure for him
He's not THAT good

Move on

Mar 21, 2010
Plymouth
Didn't DA also make a statement along the lines of he told Ben of Rotherham's interest and asked whether Ben wanted to talk to them, if so sounds like an honest manager to me .
I would also suggest that Ben would never have had any doubts about being offered a new contract should he have chosen to stay.

Jun 22, 2015
Mark Pedlar":3ta2ak73 said:
And that is the danger from drawing conclusions from public statements.

The money was better.
He had no loyalty to Argyle
We weren't prepared to break the wage strucure for him
He's not THAT good

Move on

Absolute woeful comment.

So you would have stayed?

Aug 26, 2011
davie nine said:
Even if there is no intention to disrupt and discredit our Academy, several 'supporters' are certainly not helping with unsubstantiated rumours and innuendo.

Our club is in the process of rebuilding all parts of its organisation after a decade of decline.
davie nine said:
We are certainly rebuilding and now is exactly the time to put in place good foundations for the future.

Without a mega rich backer putting in millions, this means we need to build slowly within our financial means ensuring the first team is successful as a priority and hopefully get back into the championship, but at the same time improving facilities for all levels and coaching for our academy.

James Brent has saved the club and although initially I was sceptical - he has done a first class job and getting off the bottom of the fourth division and having three successful seasons is brilliant for us fans.

However, it is not rumour or innuendo that other similar and smaller sized clubs have better training facilities for their U8's - U16's than we have for our first team.

I would hope that the club are seriously considering installing an all weather astro pitch at Harpers Park. I do not know how many first team training sessions are lost to bad weather but the first team training would be significantly better in the winter months on a decent artificial surface.

It would also benefit the academy because many games at Tavistock are cancelled because the pitches are on an old flood plain - clue is in the name!!!!!!! - so our youngsters are frequently missing out on valuable game time during wet winter periods.

Also the academy hires astro pitches at Ivybridge - 3 hrs Tuesdays, Thursdays & Saturdays and Saltmill 2hrs on Wednesday - total 11 hrs per week. They also hire for games during the season for U8's - U16s and almost certainly also for the U18's and development squad. Therefore at £60 per hour we could be spending £700 - £1000 plus hiring astro pitches per week and having our own astro would represent a massive saving - especially as grants maybe available for the installation of new astro pitches.

It is also fact that Exeter are producing as one poster said "a conveyor belt of talent." £1.75 million for Grimes, similar or bigger sum for Ollie Watkins if they sell and no doubt a multi million pound deal for Ampidou at some point in the future is a massive return for the club.

Without a rich backer prepared to inject millions into the club, we need to develop our own talent to come into the first team and also to be sold to generate funds.

We can say its all cyclical and sit back and believe we will come good in time - but I don't think burying our heads in the sand will help and the simple fact is that players we have all had high hopes for have not been able to take the step from U18 to become first team regulars. These players such as Tyler have gone to other league clubs and also not made the grade so its not just our managers views of them.

I believe its vital that the players are developed from early as possible to give them sound basics, knowledge, attitude etc etc and I think it is a just and reasonable question to ask why these players of ours are not able to take the step up to the professional ranks. Others posters have also stated that we have not moved with the times with regards to modern training methods and techniques, use of video analysis and classroom sessions and it was the case a couple of years ago that our apprentices were doing cleaning jobs etc round home park when apprentices at other clubs they are having extra gym sessions, classroom sessions, video analysis etc which is a much better use of their time and will undoubtedly result in better players being produced.

We are not trogs or making mischief, I have been a fan for over 40 years and my dream is to see Argyle in the premiership, but there are reasons why and it is not just down to cyclical factors.

It is fact that our training facilities are not as good as other clubs and it is a fact that our academy is not producing at the moment. This is no doubt down to a previous severe lack of funding but now we are moving up the leagues it is time someone senior at the club asked the question why, and looked at these other academies to see what the differences are, and if we can learn anything form these academies and improve our own.

The player, no relation of mine, who was released this year and was then signed by Cardiff City was Jordan the U16's goalkeeper - there was an article in the Sunday Independent last year??? which reported on when he went for England trials.

I have also heard a rumour, and only rumour, that Aaron Cussack did his last training session for the academy last week. If this is true, it is a massive massive MASSIVE loss to the academy and club. He was brilliant coach and superb at identifying players strengths and weaknesses and giving them targets to work on.

And also a really decent honest nice man - just hope this isn't true as he is exactly the type of academy coach we need.

Jun 22, 2015
Is Cusack going to Exeter, as that would be an absolute kick in the proverbials?
What age did he work with?

G

Greenskin

MarkMatthews":1utr5wnz said:
Keepitgreen":1utr5wnz said:
ming the merciless":1utr5wnz said:

There are a few points I would like to address on this topic, when I have more time but this is one point I would like to address straight away.

Of course money had a significant part to play in his move. Completely understandably, I would question anybody turning down the chance to between triple and quadruple their wages.

I honestly think job security was just a big factor, if not the single biggest factor in his decision making. He didn't know if he would be here in three months let alone three years! That is the impression I get from the public statements that have been made anyway.

Why should Purrington have been any different to anyone else on the books, or indeed in football generally, as regards job security?

Jun 22, 2015
Greenskin":2iwiw0ix said:
MarkMatthews":2iwiw0ix said:
Keepitgreen":2iwiw0ix said:
ming the merciless":2iwiw0ix said:

Why should Purrington have been any different to anyone else on the books, or indeed in football generally, as regards job security?

would he have got anymore than a 1 year deal?