Brent criticised for not starting different building project | Page 26 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent criticised for not starting different building project

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
foo":1r83h6z5 said:
Hi first post from a Turk fan in peace. I'm no stranger to Home Park and as I lived in your fair city for several years I've seen Plymouth play many times and are my second team by default. I'm glad to see you doing so well it's a shame I can't say the same for my first team but we are not at our highest point as I'm sure you know.
I've never been a fan of forums I prefer terrace talk and pub talk to online chat but I'm here now so here goes. I live not far from Oldway Mansion and I'm a member of Friends of Oldway (hence my username FOO). I'm not here to cause trouble or insult anyone but I wanted to get a feel for what you Plymouth fans thought about your chairman as he also owns Oldway Mansion. Is the development of your ground in some way linked to Oldway? Do you think if your ground was developed that would lead the way for Oldway to be completed or vice versa? I came here hoping to find some answers and as always in these complicated situations I am aware of more questions now than I had before.
The last news I heard on the Oldway development was that James Brent was now suing Torbay council for £8m, I can't see that they have done anything wrong but I'm no legal expert so I guess time will tell on that one.
Anyway I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Jack.
Hello foo - just out of interest which is your first team and what brought you to Plymouth for several years?

foo

Feb 21, 2016
PL2 3DQ":3dhrgg5b said:
foo":3dhrgg5b said:
Hi first post from a Turk fan in peace. I'm no stranger to Home Park and as I lived in your fair city for several years I've seen Plymouth play many times and are my second team by default. I'm glad to see you doing so well it's a shame I can't say the same for my first team but we are not at our highest point as I'm sure you know.
I've never been a fan of forums I prefer terrace talk and pub talk to online chat but I'm here now so here goes. I live not far from Oldway Mansion and I'm a member of Friends of Oldway (hence my username FOO). I'm not here to cause trouble or insult anyone but I wanted to get a feel for what you Plymouth fans thought about your chairman as he also owns Oldway Mansion. Is the development of your ground in some way linked to Oldway? Do you think if your ground was developed that would lead the way for Oldway to be completed or vice versa? I came here hoping to find some answers and as always in these complicated situations I am aware of more questions now than I had before.
The last news I heard on the Oldway development was that James Brent was now suing Torbay council for £8m, I can't see that they have done anything wrong but I'm no legal expert so I guess time will tell on that one.
Jack.

I would guess developers in dispute with local councils and vice versa is common around the country, money for old Rope.

I'm sure the developer/council dispute does go on but I'm specifically interested in this one obviously because I'm closely involved. For what it's worth I don't take any interest in developers or councils in my life generally so forgive my ignorance of the topic in general terms.

foo

Feb 21, 2016
memory man":d58cs54d said:
foo":d58cs54d said:
Jack.
Hello foo - just out of interest which is your first team and what brought you to Plymouth for several years?

Firstly thanks for the welcome from IJN,
My first team is Torquay as in the team closest to where I was born and grew up, I was born not far from Plainmoor as my parents were and are involved in the tourist and hotel business. I moved to Plymouth in the same industry myself when I left school but I have now moved closer to home again. Whilst in Plymouth I used to go to Argyle with friends from work and had some great times here you are my second team however on a derby day I have to sit at the other end.

foo

Feb 21, 2016
So what is the general feeling amoung Argyle fans about James Brent? Has he been good for Argyle and do you think he will deliver for you in time or has his momentum come to a grinding halt?
If you google James Brent you come up with Akkeron but not much in the way of actual facts, like net worth, turnover or cash in hand, even asking the fans there aren't many opinions put forward.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Foo, you seem to be changing your posting style now.

Very Ropey.

Sorry Bubba. :oops:

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Knarf Reprah":jbl1aji2 said:
Turk? I smell a Greek or a Bubba Gump
I have to be honest here, even though it makes me look foolish (yeah, okay, more so than usual). When I asked about which was his first team I seriously thought he was going to come back with Fenerbache or Besiktas. I must keep up - I still thought Torquay fans were Gulls.

Mar 21, 2008
foo":3cno1vla said:
So what is the general feeling amoung Argyle fans about James Brent? Has he been good for Argyle and do you think he will deliver for you in time or has his momentum come to a grinding halt?
If you google James Brent you come up with Akkeron but not much in the way of actual facts, like net worth, turnover or cash in hand, even asking the fans there aren't many opinions put forward.

In short I think it's fair to say that when he took over there were a lot of promises and talk around ground development and non match-day income, supposed deadlines for updates and even commencement of work have come and gone, 'we're planning to do this and that initially', Plan A has been binned in favour of plan B or is it plan C now?

Fans have become so disillusioned with the complete lack of anything concrete for what is literally years now that it's a sore subject and probably none of us even want to acknowledge the fact that in reality there is no plan, there might never have been a realistic plan, and the vast majority have resigned themselves to the fact that nothing is likely to happen any time soon, and by that I mean long-term soon, not short term. We don't even bother asking for updates any more because all we get after 6 months of not mentioning it is 'no no update to give you'.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Knarf Reprah":1aa6huwa said:
Turk? I smell a Greek or a Bubba Gump

Foo is actually an Argyle fan and a former Pasoti poster known to the Moderators, in his previous guise he wasn't banned. Quite why he pretended to be a Torquay fan is bizarre, but despite all that his posts remain on this thread.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
There's one or two on here who pretend to be Argyle fans so why not a pretend Gull? He was doing ok until his final post which aroused my suspicions as well.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Rob_GT4":2qdbnt3z said:
foo":2qdbnt3z said:

In short I think it's fair to say that when he took over there were a lot of promises and talk around ground development and non match-day income, supposed deadlines for updates and even commencement of work have come and gone, 'we're planning to do this and that initially', Plan A has been binned in favour of plan B or is it plan C now?

Fans have become so disillusioned with the complete lack of anything concrete for what is literally years now that it's a sore subject and probably none of us even want to acknowledge the fact that in reality there is no plan, there might never have been a realistic plan, and the vast majority have resigned themselves to the fact that nothing is likely to happen any time soon, and by that I mean long-term soon, not short term. We don't even bother asking for updates any more because all we get after 6 months of not mentioning it is 'no no update to give you'.
Popped into the Redz bar on Saturday.
Meanwhile the purported Far Post Club revisited? After Christmas? or was it Autumn?

Sep 3, 2009
foo":21tk87z1 said:

My feeling is that he has done well in stabilising the club but I cannot see where we go from here under his administration. We currently have a good manager, for which Brent deserves credit, and we'll probably go up - but what then? It doesn't feel like a club with proper infrastructure is being built and if/when Adams leaves, we might well be back to square one.

We need investment - not necessarily of the sugar daddy type - but proper investment, the type of which James Brent is either not capable or willing to provide. Without it, I don't see how we can flourish longer-term. I think it's concerning that Brent says in his Herald interview that it is not being sought (if that can be taken at face value).

There are those on both sides of this debate who will either refuse to hear a bad word said about the owner, or, alternatively, say a good word about him. I am not in that camp but I do think it is relevant - from an Argyle perspective - to ask questions about his other business dealings, as insight to whether or not he is ultimately the best person to take the club forward.

It is worrying that very few (any?) of his development projects are getting off the ground.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Mr Goalie, people CAN ask questions about JB on this site, despite what some loons say.

However, to have someone for the 3rd or 4th time sign on under another username (remember these are the same people that go on and on and on about 'multis') is simply not allowed on this site.

If these people want to come back, under their old name, and continue to debate, then all when and good.

Although repeated time and time again that this site does not allow such things is a complete and utter falsehood, like 97% of the rubbish written on FB and the other site. It simply is not true as borne out by some of the posts above.

Jan 26, 2013
Plymouth
I think we could become a stable League One club under JB given that many other clubs with (assumed) similar playing budgets seem capable of doing so. Without meaning to sound like one of the 'superiority complex' fans, only five teams in League One have a higher average attendance than us this season, so even if JB continued with a modest budget we would still compete with most teams in the league through our greater revenue.

My concern is how we will ever sustain ourselves as a Championship club. The league is becoming more and more financially powerful with relegated clubs from the PL reaping dividends from the TV money. How else would Burnley be able to spend 9 million on a striker?! And as the years go on this group of clubs benefiting from the PL money will grow larger and larger until it will become near impossible for clubs with less capital like us to compete with. This is why I would welcome an approach from a 'sugar daddy'.

Oct 5, 2013
TomLannigan":21xph60y said:
I think we could become a stable League One club under JB given that many other clubs with (assumed) similar playing budgets seem capable of doing so. Without meaning to sound like one of the 'superiority complex' fans, only five teams in League One have a higher average attendance than us this season, so even if JB continued with a modest budget we would still compete with most teams in the league through our greater revenue.

My concern is how we will ever sustain ourselves as a Championship club. The league is becoming more and more financially powerful with relegated clubs from the PL reaping dividends from the TV money. How else would Burnley be able to spend 9 million on a striker?! And as the years go on this group of clubs benefiting from the PL money will grow larger and larger until it will become near impossible for clubs with less capital like us to compete with. This is why I would welcome an approach from a 'sugar daddy'.

Agreed, so let's get up into League 1, and then see what happens!