Brent criticised for not starting different building project | Page 25 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Brent criticised for not starting different building project

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
lilcol":2qsettxd said:
From what I gather the place is n a poor state of repair. Why not knock it down and build some truly affordable homes for those that need them, instead of keeping something that eats money ?.

Are we talking Oldway or Home Park?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Oh Jesus.

Whilst we're at it let's turn Dartmoor into a Park and Ride for Plymouth and concrete up the Tamar and make it a Car Park for the DockYard!

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Wasn't it owned by Torbay council since the 1940s and didn't' they let it get so run down as to need more than just remedial work?

I dare say most people in Torbay are more interested in access to the gardens than the house itself. Tell me FOO, who else wanted to develope the site?

Mike Greening

♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Aug 2, 2008
IJN":2sdzzy9k said:
Oh Jesus.

Whilst we're at it let's turn Dartmoor into a Park and Ride for Plymouth and concrete up the Tamar and make it a Car Park for the DockYard!

Ian, You forgot concrete the railway track and turn it into an A38 overflow. :greensmile:

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
IJN":1cynt5ca said:
Oh Jesus.

But if you concrete over the Tamar won't THEY (shudder) be able to walk across?!?! :shock:

Keepitgreen

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
IJN":3bpjnzqy said:
Good point, back to the drawing board.
The ships would still need to get to their berths.

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Whoever FOO is and whatever his motive is it is another 5 months that have drifted by, largely unnoticed by us all as results on the field focus our attention. It is also a pity in some ways that yet again any questioning of JB's non completion of various projects sees the thread trivialised into an exchange of jokey comments. I am enjoying the promotion chase and off field matters have tended to take a back seat which is no bad thing really. Hopefully we can finish the job off and get back into League 1 when we will have a stadium able to cope to start with despite it's deteriorating condition and continued lack of atmosphere on the Mayflower side.
The problem for me will come if we have serious ambitions to mount a promotion challenge back into the Championship and even more so if we harbour ambitions to stay there for any length of time. That for me is when JB will have to decide whether he is going to actively seek a buyer as Bristol Rovers did who can complete the building of a stand and the associated corporate facilities worthy of even a lower Championship club. The alternative seems to me that we stay as a lower league side indefinitely as other clubs pass us by.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
jerryatricjanner":ydshg0wu said:
Whoever FOO is and whatever his motive is it is another 5 months that have drifted by, largely unnoticed by us all as results on the field focus our attention. It is also a pity in some ways that yet again any questioning of JB's non completion of various projects sees the thread trivialised into an exchange of jokey comments. I am enjoying the promotion chase and off field matters have tended to take a back seat which is no bad thing really. Hopefully we can finish the job off and get back into League 1 when we will have a stadium able to cope to start with despite it's deteriorating condition and continued lack of atmosphere on the Mayflower side.
The problem for me will come if we have serious ambitions to mount a promotion challenge back into the Championship and even more so if we harbour ambitions to stay there for any length of time. That for me is when JB will have to decide whether he is going to actively seek a buyer as Bristol Rovers did who can complete the building of a stand and the associated corporate facilities worthy of even a lower Championship club. The alternative seems to me that we stay as a lower league side indefinitely as other clubs pass us by.

Jerry, it's the way PASOTI has always been, but I do get your point.

I think JB has answered you question in the Herald today, however can I ask, where do you stand with the AFT going for ACV status?

foo

Feb 21, 2016
Bubba":1m7muip1 said:
For a 'Newbie' and someone who doesn't like Online discussion you have managed to dig up a thread nearly 6 months old with ease. :think:

Whilst off field events should always be on peoples radar, I think its all about results on the pitch that matter, to me and many, many supporters at the moment, certainly at this point of the season.

Sorry if that apology is needed but I explained I am a friend of Oldway and a quick click on the search box brought up several threads and I chose this one in an eeny meany sort of fashion. I do work with computers so not completely useless with them.
As for the football I was not looking to detract from that just interested in a different opinion. To be honest I am struggling to see Mr. Brent's motivation for getting involved in Oldway and was wondering if he will do any work or wait for the building to fall down first?
Work calls I'll be back later to reply to some of the posts.
Jack.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Pogleswoody":3oeljyq8 said:
IJN":3oeljyq8 said:
Oh Jesus.

But if you concrete over the Tamar won't THEY (shudder) be able to walk across?!?! :shock:
Some of US can already :whistle:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Ian, I think he has largely yes. As long as he is not too greedy when the time comes and is happy to recoup what he has put in fine, even a little on top is acceptable to me. I think from where we were 4 or 5 years ago he has gradually and sensibly got us back on a sound footing and come October we will be able to say a job well done especially if we have moved back to League 1. As a lower league club now and after being shafted or used as we were prior to administration I am more inclined to see the sense in going for ACV status. On the other hand before administration I was more in favour of selling the freehold as it was the only way I saw us able to raise sufficient funds to progress or for a wealthy benefactor to buy the club. I know it sounds a bit like fence sitting but to be honest I don't feel strongly one way or another on the ACV question. Partly because I haven't looked at it in any detail to form a real opinion and partly because I tend to have the view that whatever happens to a league club, invariably there is someone ready to save it. I also think that in most cases despite having first option supporters groups would struggle to raise the necessary finance alone. It has been very rare for a football club to have been deliberately and cynically fleeced but of course it is always a risk.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Foo you'll have to excuse the cynicism shown.

There is a history of obsessives 'hitting' this site under false names hence Bubba's comment.

If you're not one of those (and I don't think you are) welcome to THE best Argyle forum.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
foo":180zjym4 said:
Hi first post from a Turk fan in peace. I'm no stranger to Home Park and as I lived in your fair city for several years I've seen Plymouth play many times and are my second team by default. I'm glad to see you doing so well it's a shame I can't say the same for my first team but we are not at our highest point as I'm sure you know.
I've never been a fan of forums I prefer terrace talk and pub talk to online chat but I'm here now so here goes. I live not far from Oldway Mansion and I'm a member of Friends of Oldway (hence my username FOO). I'm not here to cause trouble or insult anyone but I wanted to get a feel for what you Plymouth fans thought about your chairman as he also owns Oldway Mansion. Is the development of your ground in some way linked to Oldway? Do you think if your ground was developed that would lead the way for Oldway to be completed or vice versa? I came here hoping to find some answers and as always in these complicated situations I am aware of more questions now than I had before.
The last news I heard on the Oldway development was that James Brent was now suing Torbay council for £8m, I can't see that they have done anything wrong but I'm no legal expert so I guess time will tell on that one.
Anyway I'd be interested to hear your thoughts.
Jack.

I would guess developers in dispute with local councils and vice versa is common around the country, money for old Rope.