Argyle Fans' Trust Open Meeting for all fans | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Argyle Fans' Trust Open Meeting for all fans

Dec 21, 2010
“Play it again, Sam” is of course a misquotation of Rick Blaine's (played by Humphrey Bogart) exclamation to Sam the pianist from the 1942 film Casablanca and is one of many such sayings that were never actually uttered.
This prompts me to clarify one or two ‘facts’ that are doing the rounds:
On 28th April James Brent instructed Martyn Starnes, with Jon Back as witness, to inform me that the club would no longer allow meetings between the AFT Chair and the Argyle CEO. This was not only because of our successful application for ACV status for Home Park, but also because we were seeking to 'hold the club to account'.
The CEO requested that this be kept under wraps while he and the AFT Chair sought to rescue something from this potential PR car crash, by holding a meeting with new director, Simon Hallett. Meanwhile, other influences within the club further accelerated the crisis by requesting the return of all keys to the lock up used by the AFT, demanding that we obtain official passes before entering the ground and suggesting that we cease producing copy for the match day programme.
At this point the AFT Chair fully briefed his Board, which subsequently issued an agreed statement saying:
“It is therefore with sadness that the Board of the AFT is now withdrawing from any further dialogue with the Board of PAFC while it fails to recognise the need for an open and honest discourse with the democratically elected fans’ representatives”.
The AFT Board were pleased to hear James Brent say at the recent open forum that he wished to re-engage with the various fans’ groups. As the largest and democratically elected of these, we hope that the suspension of dialogue referred to above can be lifted, so that ‘an open and honest discourse’ with all fans’ representatives can now take place. While we were delighted that the Club board recently issued its longest, most detailed and most transparent response in five years, the AFT would far rather this had been as a result of positive engagement with fans groups such as ourselves.
The AFT is NOT anti-James Brent. The successful application for Asset of Community Value status was never intended and could not, by law, prevent his purchase of Home Park. It does though, in our view, offer excellent protection from the Club falling into the wrong hands at such time as it is sold on.
Contrary to one statement made, the AFT Chair has never sought regular meetings with James Brent. All meetings at board level over the last two years have been with the CEO, Martyn Starnes. And, contrary to another statement, most of the questions raised at the open fans’ forum had already been posed by the AFT, including that about the historical debt owed by the Club to the Green Taverners.
And NO, PAFC have NOT threatened to ban me from Home Park if I continue to ask questions on behalf of our members!

C

Ceebs

Thanks for the clarification. It's not hard to understand why the AFT withdrew from dialogue when the meetings were no longer permitted and goodwill apparently withdrawn. Could James Brent have a slightly fragile ego? It all seems a bit unnecessary to me.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
argyledad":3moewbdw said:
“Play it again, Sam” is of course a misquotation of Rick Blaine's (played by Humphrey Bogart) exclamation to Sam the pianist from the 1942 film Casablanca and is one of many such sayings that were never actually uttered.
This prompts me to clarify one or two ‘facts’ that are doing the rounds:
On 28th April James Brent instructed Martyn Starnes, with Jon Back as witness, to inform me that the club would no longer allow meetings between the AFT Chair and the Argyle CEO. This was not only because of our successful application for ACV status for Home Park, but also because we were seeking to 'hold the club to account'.
The CEO requested that this be kept under wraps while he and the AFT Chair sought to rescue something from this potential PR car crash, by holding a meeting with new director, Simon Hallett. Meanwhile, other influences within the club further accelerated the crisis by requesting the return of all keys to the lock up used by the AFT, demanding that we obtain official passes before entering the ground and suggesting that we cease producing copy for the match day programme.
At this point the AFT Chair fully briefed his Board, which subsequently issued an agreed statement saying:
“It is therefore with sadness that the Board of the AFT is now withdrawing from any further dialogue with the Board of PAFC while it fails to recognise the need for an open and honest discourse with the democratically elected fans’ representatives”.
The AFT Board were pleased to hear James Brent say at the recent open forum that he wished to re-engage with the various fans’ groups. As the largest and democratically elected of these, we hope that the suspension of dialogue referred to above can be lifted, so that ‘an open and honest discourse’ with all fans’ representatives can now take place. While we were delighted that the Club board recently issued its longest, most detailed and most transparent response in five years, the AFT would far rather this had been as a result of positive engagement with fans groups such as ourselves.
The AFT is NOT anti-James Brent. The successful application for Asset of Community Value status was never intended and could not, by law, prevent his purchase of Home Park. It does though, in our view, offer excellent protection from the Club falling into the wrong hands at such time as it is sold on.
Contrary to one statement made, the AFT Chair has never sought regular meetings with James Brent. All meetings at board level over the last two years have been with the CEO, Martyn Starnes. And, contrary to another statement, most of the questions raised at the open fans’ forum had already been posed by the AFT, including that about the historical debt owed by the Club to the Green Taverners.
And NO, PAFC have NOT threatened to ban me from Home Park if I continue to ask questions on behalf of our members!

I think that, with respect, many supporters, including members of the AFT of which I am one, are still waiting for it to be explained why the AFT applied for and acquired the ACV when it appeared that a majority of members were against this initiative.

As it appears to be the main reason for the breakdown of relations between AFT and the Argyle Chairman and Board of Directors it would seem reasonable to expect AFT to explain how this decision was made.

C

Ceebs

Was there not support for the ACV application when it was originally mooted? This is a snippet taken from the AFT website:

At present, Home Park is in public hands with the Council, and last year’s fan survey showed that over 80% of Argyle supporters would like it to stay that way, with even higher levels of support for an ACV submission.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Argyledad thanks for explaining the reason why the meetings between the AFT and Argyle were stopped, why did Brent throw the baby out of the pram just because the AFT secured the ACV status on HP, you can only wonder why.

Again this shows transparency and Brent are not compatable.

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Quite correct then I hear stories like this, I can't get over the final hurdle

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
The only time the AFT asked its membership about the ACV was in a standalone survey conducted in December 2013 with the results published a month later.

658 people took part in the survey and the question about ACV had a pre-fix to it which would have influenced the way people answered. As we know the option to buy the lease from the Council was legally binding.

Question: "If the option for James Brent/Akkeron to buy Home Park is removed from the Lease with the Council, do you think the Trust should explore registering Home Park as an Asset of Community Value?"
92% said yes, 8% said no.

http://www.argylefanstrust.com/2014/01/ ... y-results/

O

ogwellmike

dunlop wrote:

Operative word is stories - you should insert the word fairy IMO!

dunlop

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Why so called fans get so defensive about the ACV is beyond me it seems they are putting Brent before the club.

Dec 21, 2010
When I was elected to the AFT committee two years ago, it was felt there was a clear mandate from the membership for applying for ACV status. Our survey, published in January 2014, did indeed show a 61.4% majority in favour of “Home Park remaining in Public Ownership through the council”.
Since our most recent survey there have been four others on PASOTI, the Evening Herald, ATD and P A Free Chat. Together these polls have received 1256 votes, with a total of 66.4% requesting PAFC to remain within local authority control, 31.4% against and 2.6% undecided.
I am not here to question the veracity of these polls, only to stress that the AFT acted in good faith, based on the information it had at the time.

tonycholwell

R.I.P
Jun 9, 2006
Somerset
ogwellmike":3hmwb209 said:
dunlop wrote:

Operative word is stories - you should insert the word fairy IMO!

Out of interest Og, who, in this instance, do you consider to be telling fairy stories?

Andy S

Administrator
Staff member
🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿🇳🇿
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
argyledad":1p1ksnjq said:
When I was elected to the AFT committee two years ago, it was felt there was a clear mandate from the membership for applying for ACV status. Our survey, published in January 2014, did indeed show a 61.4% majority in favour of “Home Park remaining in Public Ownership through the council”.
Since our most recent survey there have been four others on PASOTI, the Evening Herald, ATD and P A Free Chat. Together these polls have received 1256 votes, with a total of 66.4% requesting PAFC to remain within local authority control, 31.4% against and 2.6% undecided.
I am not here to question the veracity of these polls, only to stress that the AFT acted in good faith, based on the information it had at the time.

What was the breakdown of the polls?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
argyledad":3om7h5yb said:
Thank you for the explanation, argyledad.
You were in a difficult position and I hope that, under your chairmanship, the AFT can get back it's relationship with the club.

B

BallboyEGS1958

Well, what short memories some people have, back in the far distant past of December 2010 our club was on the brink of going out of the league and a group of supporters got together and set up the AFT.
That group were the soul reason we have a club today !!!
Now don't tell me Mr Brent saved the club on his own, if it was not for the AFT and their persistence fighting on all fronts Mr Brent would not have gotten involved.
He was a reluctant buyer and stated that at the time.
Since its inception the AFT has had many board members come and go for one reason or another, (Usually from the abuse given to them from key board warriors who have nothing better to do then criticise everything any one tries to do on our behalf)
Every one who goes on the Board of the AFT is a true Argyle supporter and the reason they are there and willing to take the flack is to look after the supporters interests and the welfare of our club.
So whilst there is one supporter willing to stand up and look after the welfare of our club and my interest as a supporter they will always have my support.