AFT statement on HHP development and **new update 19th Sept* | Page 39 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

AFT statement on HHP development and **new update 19th Sept*

Jun 27, 2017
crownhillpilgrim":r61kgj01 said:
Daz":r61kgj01 said:
Army green":r61kgj01 said:
It all just seems like the grandstand is just some kind of small insignificant side show in this development, when quite frankly it should be the main event. Just how it feels to me.

Which is exactly what the trust and the naysayers wanted. Create enough noise around the development and the end goal will be forgotten.

So true, just build the bloody thing and get us out of the 1970s - if people make some money down the line (and the club does too), good - it means jobs and a nice new stand.

Perfect summation.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Iā€™ll ask again (with the forlorn hope it WILL be answered):-

1) How many members have you?

2) How many people E mailed in objections?

Any chance of some transparency or truth from the Argyle Fans Trust?

Jan 8, 2006
Bristol
Wasting your time, you won't get a response as it would weaken their position.

Is this the death of the AFT? They no longer seem relevant and far from representative.

And to that they only seem active when it matters to certain people. What's they're current stance on the BTeam Boycott?

The club is now fully entitled on any matters to disregard the trust as not a true representative group.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
esmer":1g8l8asn said:
SwimWithTheTide":1g8l8asn said:
Daz":1g8l8asn said:
Army green":1g8l8asn said:
It all just seems like the grandstand is just some kind of small insignificant side show in this development, when quite frankly it should be the main event. Just how it feels to me.

Which is exactly what the trust and the naysayers wanted. Create enough noise around the development and the end goal will be forgotten.

The end goal of the HHP and Western Gateway builds is not the refurb though Daz.
That is the issue, the Western Gate and HHPdevelopments have nothing to do with the football club beyond the impact HHP will have on the football club as a near neighbour. The application has three separate elements; the grandstand; Higher Home Park and Western Gateway and the AFT should only be focusing only on the elements which affect the football club namely the grandstand and the HHP development, only as it affects the club. Western Gate (the vet site) is completely divorced from the football club and has no impact on it and is therefore of no concern to the AFT. It is wholly wrong that their objections seem to centre on Western Gate and they appear happy with the grandstand and, as far as I can tell, HHP.

Apart from the fact they have decided to shelve democratic process and act without a mandate they are basing their objection on an element of the application which does not concern them.

I would make the point strongly that the planning procedure is a democratic process (a term with which it appears the AFT board are unfamiliar) and all citizens are entitled to object to the Western Gate element of the application and that includes members of the AFT board, but as individuals not as representatives of the fan base.

This is exactly what I was alluding to earlier in the thread. It seems the Trust board are using their position of power and the name of the Fans Trust to push what should be personal objections to the plans.

Being Trust board members has a degree of responsibility to it's membership to represent their views in the interest of Argyle and it's fans. If Mr Cannon or any other board member had reservations themselves they should have objected individuals not in the name of the Trust.

As far as I can see the club will benefit hugely from these developments. Both directly from the grandstand and indirectly from the footfall of the other facilities even before the windfall profit is or isn't factored in. Parking has been noted as an issue but it's farcical to think this overrides the other clear benefits to club and supporter alike.

Whatever the Trust's reasons for objecting I cannot for the life of me see how it relates to Argyle or it's fans and as such see it as beyond their remit.

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
I think the Trust has also compromised its position (again for God's sake) as a conduit between the fans and the Argyle Board. There really does seem to be a fundamental lack of 'skill', or finesse if you like, in the way the AFT chooses to do its business. I can't work out if it's a lack of political nous or deliberate mischief making.

E

Electronic

Ade the green":3fvn6kdw said:
SwimWithTheTide":3fvn6kdw said:
Daz":3fvn6kdw said:
Army green":3fvn6kdw said:

The end goal of the HHP and Western Gateway builds is not the refurb though Daz.

As far as Argyle supporters needs I suppose.

What James Brent is proposing is (if passed) going to benefit all the people of Plymouth to some degree. The Ice Arena for those so inclined and if full size possibly of use as an Ice Hockey stadium in the future? A Gym has it's own clientele and restaurants for those wanting to spend time in the park. The offices can provide businesses an option and the hotel bringing it's own revenue to the city.

The Grandstand in the scheme of things is a part of a whole and the whole is going to be more appealing to Joe Bloggs. The money Argyle might make is going to be with the secondary spend from park users and I'd certainly be looking for the Argyle bar being a major contributor of food and drink in the new scheme.

Turn it on its head then and let me ask you a hypothetical question, Ade. If what was being proposed was the HHP development and Western Gateway, with no plan at all for the grandstand and Home Park, how would you feel about it then?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Let me ask you a hypothetical question Electronic, if you knew a person was asking such a question from 100's of miles away (say London) would you ask 'What's it really got to do with you'?

E

Electronic

Greenskin":2sirmqgy said:
HC Green":2sirmqgy said:
Greenskin":2sirmqgy said:
GreenArmy1984":2sirmqgy said:
What amazes me Torquay United & Exeter City can get new stadium development completed & In progress while we are dealing with all the politics of the world with ours

Let's get it done :thumbs:

Incredible innit. And, cynical old me to the fore, if previous form is anything to go by both in Plymouth and the wider area, not a brick of this proposed development will be laid any time soon.

BTW, amid the maelstrom of "arguments" currently being traded around the bazaars, has any concrete [excuse the unintended pun] evidence materialised about how this is going to be funded, apart from Mr Hallett's loan? Seem to recall that the funding issue for the previous HHP proposal was always a bit cloudy too. May have missed something, would be grateful for any info.

Exeter City's development is being funded by the City Council, the landlords of the ground from the sale of land behind the Big Bank to developers to build student flats. I'm sure everyone would be happy for some sort of development on HHP to fund the Grandstand oh sorry they weren't!

Talk about a ground being hemmed in!

That would be excellent if it came to pass and Argyle were left with facilities to take the club into the 21st century- i'm sure that is what all supporters, no matter what their opinions on various matters may be, want to see. But coming back to my earlier post, has there actually been any definitive indication of where the funding for the HHP proposals is to come from, Mr Hallett's loan aside?

Interesting question. How is HHP going to be funded?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Electronic":uall1o4r said:
Ade the green":uall1o4r said:
SwimWithTheTide":uall1o4r said:
Daz":uall1o4r said:
Army green":uall1o4r said:

As far as Argyle supporters needs I suppose.

What James Brent is proposing is (if passed) going to benefit all the people of Plymouth to some degree. The Ice Arena for those so inclined and if full size possibly of use as an Ice Hockey stadium in the future? A Gym has it's own clientele and restaurants for those wanting to spend time in the park. The offices can provide businesses an option and the hotel bringing it's own revenue to the city.

The Grandstand in the scheme of things is a part of a whole and the whole is going to be more appealing to Joe Bloggs. The money Argyle might make is going to be with the secondary spend from park users and I'd certainly be looking for the Argyle bar being a major contributor of food and drink in the new scheme.

Turn it on its head then and let me ask you a hypothetical question, Ade. If what was being proposed was the HHP development and Western Gateway, with no plan at all for the grandstand and Home Park, how would you feel about it then?

Firstly, the Western Gateway is of no concern to me as I have no interest in staying in a hotel only 1/4 mile from my home so it wouldn't even register.

Secondly, the HHP is as a whole. I support it as a whole and it's impossible to theorise if JB and SH said "stuff it, we'll only build the ancillary buildings".

Thirdly, if I did not support Argyle the grandstand would not register but I would think it would be good for food-drink and restaurants in that area in order to make the most of Central Park.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Electronic":5f2ejpq3 said:
Greenskin":5f2ejpq3 said:
HC Green":5f2ejpq3 said:
Greenskin":5f2ejpq3 said:
GreenArmy1984":5f2ejpq3 said:
What amazes me Torquay United & Exeter City can get new stadium development completed & In progress while we are dealing with all the politics of the world with ours

Incredible innit. And, cynical old me to the fore, if previous form is anything to go by both in Plymouth and the wider area, not a brick of this proposed development will be laid any time soon.

BTW, amid the maelstrom of "arguments" currently being traded around the bazaars, has any concrete [excuse the unintended pun] evidence materialised about how this is going to be funded, apart from Mr Hallett's loan? Seem to recall that the funding issue for the previous HHP proposal was always a bit cloudy too. May have missed something, would be grateful for any info.

Exeter City's development is being funded by the City Council, the landlords of the ground from the sale of land behind the Big Bank to developers to build student flats. I'm sure everyone would be happy for some sort of development on HHP to fund the Grandstand oh sorry they weren't!

That would be excellent if it came to pass and Argyle were left with facilities to take the club into the 21st century- i'm sure that is what all supporters, no matter what their opinions on various matters may be, want to see. But coming back to my earlier post, has there actually been any definitive indication of where the funding for the HHP proposals is to come from, Mr Hallett's loan aside?

That's for JB's concern and if it doesn't get funded or completely funded the AFT would get their wish by default.

May 8, 2011
Electronic":1p6i6mkm said:
Greenskin":1p6i6mkm said:
HC Green":1p6i6mkm said:
Greenskin":1p6i6mkm said:
GreenArmy1984":1p6i6mkm said:

Mr Hallett's loan is for works at Home Park not HHP. It does seem quite a few get confused between the two.

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Sorry, but does anyone genuinely believe that a currently uninterested resident of Plymouth will suddenly have an urge to see how Carey's magic left foot fares against Doncaster on Saturday because there's a Nandos next door and they can take their cat for a check up?

I think some of the proposed units have a benefit for the area and for central park, but the club benefit is being bigged up to some daft proportions.

Fwiw, I hope that the current application is granted, but I hope that there are some adjustments made when full planning is sought for the retail, leisure and business units.

My interest firstly is getting the Grandstand refurbished and there really shouldn't be any issues in getting that done. But, rightly or wrongly, it has been gambled at the expense of additional (more controversial, due to the nature of them being new build units rather than work on existing) developments.

My second interest is whether the club end up with a fair deal for the development usage of the HHP land. Selling land for development has been an incredibly prosperous venture for many sports clubs over the years. James Brent sold himself this opportunity instead however, which he is entitled to do. I would hope as the custodian of the club that he may consider way to provide the club with greater direct benefit.

Last time he proposed a new stand valued at Ā£10 million. This time there is nothing on the cards other than a muddied suggestion of windfall profit that no one is really sure about. There's the indirect benefits of course, but these are uncertain in themselves also. I'd rather the club not gamble on the flimsy and hope that they'd get a more concrete benefit to aid our progression.

E

Electronic

IJN":zrgg1g08 said:
Let me ask you a hypothetical question Electronic, if you knew a person was asking such a question from 100's of miles away (say London) would you ask 'What's it really got to do with you'?

No, I actually wouldn't - not in this context. I disagree with you and others who espouse this thinking that 'only people who reside within a PL postcode have a right to comment'. Argyle belongs to all Argyle fans and those who live in the city are no more important than any others. Ditto those with an interest (family ties, for example) in Plymouth who live away.

It's a perfectly reasonable question - I guess Ade the Green will choose to answer it or not. Easy come, easy go.