Adams the best ? I don't think so. | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams the best ? I don't think so.

Jul 29, 2010
davie nine":2l08me54 said:
Adams is 100% committed, lives locally, lives the job, is very persuasive in his recruitment pitch and has a training regime that is respected and acknowledged by the players as well as supporters.

It may be too early to say that he's the best but he's certainly made an impressive start to achieving that accolade.
Zackly, I don't get the constant need to rank people, be it players or managers. Any given incumbent of a post be it a player on the pitch or a manager in the dugout has different circumstances, different budgets, different players/managers, different opposition and does so at a different time.

Adams is a very good manager, committed to Argyle and single minded in purpose.

You'd think that would be enough for folk :think:

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
It's also worth remember6 Luggy had an excellent coaching staff in Blackley and Summerfield. If Adams equals or better Luggy Mk1 thete will be a lot of happy people..

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
Greenskin":2a1rime8 said:
Balham_Green":2a1rime8 said:
oddball":2a1rime8 said:
Bobby Williamson gets a lot of grief on here...yet it pays to remember a few facts....when $turrock left and Summers took over we weren't doing too well(everyone remembers Oldham away). It was only when Williamson came aboard and steadied the ship that we got promoted...who could forget the 2-0 win over QPR and Sparksy's famous comment the Greens are going up....Best match I've ever seen at Home Park in over 55years...

So one game saves his reputation does it? he was clueless. Think he ended up managing in Uganda as nobody would touch him here. More concerned with spending his time in the Barbican alehouses I heard.

Any actual evidence that the latter sentence was true? Because "wot I 'eard" was different in that some rather malicious rumours about Williamson's conduct were cast far and wide, including on PASOTI, by someone in a position of authority and alleged confidentiality at Home park who really should have known better-maybe he didn't actually care about knowing better. I was no blind faith advocate of Williamson but he did some good things such as signing Buzz, Doumbe,Dodd and Blackstock which helped to keep Argyle in the second tier in that difficult first season back in the CCC. For sure he also made some bad signings and definitely had lost the plot by the early stages of the next season-the time was right for him to go and set operation Pulis into action. It may be of relevance in connection to the "Williamson was always pi$$ed" stories to say that I knew of his sacking about 5 hours before he did via a contact at the club, which just about sums up the abysmal way the guy was treated by certain elements within the hierarchy at Home park.

That more or less sums up the way I heard it as well. Much maligned by certain people for whatever reason that suited their own agenda.

Oct 24, 2010
I thought Williamson did a decent job in our first season in the Championship and I was gobsmacked when he was sacked. But then again I wasn't on Pasoti back then

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
there was a poster named cockney green who posted a lot of malicous stuff on here and elsewhere....

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Williamson did a good job in his first full season, he had to change an aging team and stay in the Championship, which he did and I think his team played some good football. The wins against Sunderland and Forest (twice) were memorable. It was the second season where it all fell apart.

I spoke to him in 2008.
Q: When you arrived at Argyle the team had just lost two games in succession and the Championship title was in doubt, your appointment gave the team added belief. Was that Championship deciding match against QPR your most memorable Argyle match?
BW: It was certainly up there but the following season we had some great games at Home Park, including games against Sunderland, West Ham and others.

Q: Paul Sturrock is regarded as a legend at Argyle; it must have been daunting to follow in his footsteps?

BW: No, not at all, I was confident in my own ability. In Scotland my CV stood up to Paul's but it was much different in England though!

Q: Do you still keep in touch with former colleagues or players at Argyle and have you returned to Home Park for a visit?

BW: No, once you go - you go. I think it's wrong that ex-managers keep in touch with directors and players as it undermines the current manager, even more so if the previous manager was successful!

Q: You signed some good players, including Akos Buzsaky and Mat Doumbe, was there any particular player that you wanted to sign, but for whatever reason the transfer fell through?

BW: What is discussed in the boardroom should stay there; unfortunately that was not the case at Argyle in my tenure! One director in particular was unprofessional by divulging transfer information.

Q: The signing of Taribo West made headline news but his fitness proved to be a problem, were you excited or wary about signing a former World Cup superstar?

BW: Not at all, Taribo was fine until we tried to get him back into the country after pre-season in Sweden. He had to go back to Italy and naturally his fitness lapsed. When he came back he had to go straight back in as Hasney Aljofree was unfit.
It was unfair on Taribo because it was just one day training and then two games in three days. I'm sure if I had stayed he would have done well.

Q: In your first full season as manager you steered Argyle to a respectable 17th place in the Championship, given the spending power of other clubs that was quite an achievement. Were you under instructions to just keep Argyle away from relegation?

BW: I'm not revealing anything that was not already out there, but yes, that was my remit.

Q: Do you feel you were backed fully by the Argyle board of directors?

BW: I wasn't backed by all of the directors, one in particular undermined me. I thought he was a good guy but I was wrong. I loved the place and I loved the club and that will not change.

Q: The team had a bad start in your last season at Home Park; do you think that once the new players had settled in and given more time you could have moulded the players into a competitive and successful team?

BW: I disagree, we actually had a good start to the season, we won at Reading who never lost another home game all season and then got promoted. We drew with Watford when we should have won, they also got promoted. We also won a league cup match in a competition that we had not done well in for 13 years.

All that tells me is that when the new players and their families were housed and settled it would have got even better. To be let go after four defeats was wrong but that's what happened.

Q: Do you feel you were fairly treated by the Argyle fans?

BW: I never had a problem with the fans, in fact the bunch from St. Dennis are the most passionate and loyal fans I know, any fan who met or knew me would know what the club meant to me.

Q: Taking over as manager for Uganda must have been an exciting surprise for you, have you now moved to Uganda to live?

BW: Yes, I'm living on the outskirts of Kampala.

Q: Uganda narrowly missed out on a place for the next phase of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup. Will you now rebuild the team and assert your influence and management on the complete structure and grassroots of Ugandan football?

BW: My job remit is to educate coaches as well as manage the national team. Team building is always on-going, no-one will be discarded if they are still capable. I will help to restructure the whole of Ugandan coaching.

Q: How does managing a national team compare to club management?

BW: There are too few games and too little time working with players and far more people to please and disappoint when winning and losing matches.

Q: Finally, thank you for all your efforts at Argyle and good luck for the future, do you have a message for everyone connected to Argyle, including the fans?

BW: Yes I do but not for everyone connected to Argyle. The office staff I would like to thank for their help and support, it was great knowing them. To all Argyle fans - it was an honour, privilege and pleasure to manage your great club even though it was all too brief!
All the best!

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
Williamson gave his winning medal to Jacko the kit man saying he deserved the medal more than he did.

Apr 25, 2006
Cornwall
PL2 3DQ":yucptmyw said:
Williamson did a good job in his first full season, he had to change an aging team and stay in the Championship, which he did and I think his team played some good football. The wins against Sunderland and Forest (twice) were memorable. It was the second season where it all fell apart.

I spoke to him in 2008.
Q: When you arrived at Argyle the team had just lost two games in succession and the Championship title was in doubt, your appointment gave the team added belief. Was that Championship deciding match against QPR your most memorable Argyle match?
BW: It was certainly up there but the following season we had some great games at Home Park, including games against Sunderland, West Ham and others.

Q: Paul Sturrock is regarded as a legend at Argyle; it must have been daunting to follow in his footsteps?

BW: No, not at all, I was confident in my own ability. In Scotland my CV stood up to Paul's but it was much different in England though!

Q: Do you still keep in touch with former colleagues or players at Argyle and have you returned to Home Park for a visit?

BW: No, once you go - you go. I think it's wrong that ex-managers keep in touch with directors and players as it undermines the current manager, even more so if the previous manager was successful!

Q: You signed some good players, including Akos Buzsaky and Mat Doumbe, was there any particular player that you wanted to sign, but for whatever reason the transfer fell through?

BW: What is discussed in the boardroom should stay there; unfortunately that was not the case at Argyle in my tenure! One director in particular was unprofessional by divulging transfer information.

Q: The signing of Taribo West made headline news but his fitness proved to be a problem, were you excited or wary about signing a former World Cup superstar?

BW: Not at all, Taribo was fine until we tried to get him back into the country after pre-season in Sweden. He had to go back to Italy and naturally his fitness lapsed. When he came back he had to go straight back in as Hasney Aljofree was unfit.
It was unfair on Taribo because it was just one day training and then two games in three days. I'm sure if I had stayed he would have done well.

Q: In your first full season as manager you steered Argyle to a respectable 17th place in the Championship, given the spending power of other clubs that was quite an achievement. Were you under instructions to just keep Argyle away from relegation?

BW: I'm not revealing anything that was not already out there, but yes, that was my remit.

BW: I wasn't backed by all of the directors, one in particular undermined me. I thought he was a good guy but I was wrong. I loved the place and I loved the club and that will not change.

Q: The team had a bad start in your last season at Home Park; do you think that once the new players had settled in and given more time you could have moulded the players into a competitive and successful team?

BW: I disagree, we actually had a good start to the season, we won at Reading who never lost another home game all season and then got promoted. We drew with Watford when we should have won, they also got promoted. We also won a league cup match in a competition that we had not done well in for 13 years.

All that tells me is that when the new players and their families were housed and settled it would have got even better. To be let go after four defeats was wrong but that's what happened.

BW: I never had a problem with the fans, in fact the bunch from St. Dennis are the most passionate and loyal fans I know, any fan who met or knew me would know what the club meant to me.

Q: Taking over as manager for Uganda must have been an exciting surprise for you, have you now moved to Uganda to live?

Q: Uganda narrowly missed out on a place for the next phase of qualifying for the 2010 World Cup. Will you now rebuild the team and assert your influence and management on the complete structure and grassroots of Ugandan football?

BW: My job remit is to educate coaches as well as manage the national team. Team building is always on-going, no-one will be discarded if they are still capable. I will help to restructure the whole of Ugandan coaching.

BW: There are too few games and too little time working with players and far more people to please and disappoint when winning and losing matches.

Q: Finally, thank you for all your efforts at Argyle and good luck for the future, do you have a message for everyone connected to Argyle, including the fans?

BW: Yes I do but not for everyone connected to Argyle. The office staff I would like to thank for their help and support, it was great knowing them. To all Argyle fans - it was an honour, privilege and pleasure to manage your great club even though it was all too brief!
All the best!

This interview speaks volumes........

Jul 24, 2009
My recollection was that Williamson did a great job initially, he saw us over the finish line when we were wobbling badly and we had a cracking start to life in the Championship. Gradually the wheels came off and there were plenty of worrying signs in the second half on 2004-05 that he wasn't the right man for the medium term. One away defeat to Crewe - 3.0 around Feb if memory serves - was a particular low spot. He signed a couple of loanees (to his credit) Dodd and Blackstock and we got over the line, but I remember being unconvinced that summer. We had a dreadful start to the next season and I was relieved when he went as I though it was time for a change and we'd go down if we didn't.

I'm sorry to hear about some of the rumours and unhelpful things that apparently went on, but I knew nothing of that at the time and thought it was the right move then to swap him for Pulis and do now. I'm not oblivious to the fact he kept us up, but he was one of the more unconvincing managers I've seen.

Sep 6, 2006
PL2 3DQ":ojxuqwdu said:

I spoke to him in 2008.

All the best!

He inherited a successful team and presided over a gradual decline. Pulis came in and picked up the pieces. You can always pick out the odd decent game but thats not enough.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
Crewe away was the low point - sarcastically clapping the fans.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
Not solo drinking? Surely not?! How very dare he....

I imagine given the high pressure nature of the job, quite a few football managers have a drink or two quite regularly!