Adams the best ? I don't think so. | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams the best ? I don't think so.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Cobi Budge":25dbdzac said:
Management is getting harder and harder, there are more things to take into consideration, tactically, scientifically, financially etc. The standard of League 2 now is probably leaps and bounds ahead of the standard of League 2 when we were last in it, our team from last season would, in my opinion, beat Sturrock's promotion winning team. Sturrock is obviously a club legend but nostalgia is often a blinding thing.

Surely that doesn't matter. If L2 really was worse back when Sturrock was in charge the pool of players he could sign were equally worse, the tactics differed to today but they weren't non-existent, financially there was less money in the game but players wages were comparably cheaper. Scientifically I would argue things have moved on but again the change is irrelevant, your opponents weren't as fit but neither were your players. The game has changed but Argyle's place within it is very similar relative to our opponents, the job as a manager has therefore changed but is comparably just as challenging.

Sturrock's record speaks for itself; a league title with a record points total. It is undeniably the best L2 performance this club of any other club has achieved and Adams honestly didn't even come close.

Does that make Sturrock the better manager though? Not really, getting us out of L2 isn't the end goal, it's the first step in achieving the overall objective. Getting this club back to it's rightful place is a marathon not a sprint. Adams tenure will truley be measured at it's conclusion, where he leave us. Sturrock left us on the verge of the Championship with a spine of a team worthy of competing at that level, we will never know how far he could have taken us but that's the bar that has been set. We will have to wait and see where Adams takes us now that the promotion hurdle has been manoeuvred.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Greenskin":8ohht9bc said:
Beyton_Green":8ohht9bc said:
If we're talking the last 30 years surely Bobby Williamson and Paul Mariner should be included in the debate?

:) Not a bad striking combination on the pitch to be fair.

... add Sturrock in and we'd be well set for Div 1 (all players at their 'peak' natch!!)

There you are, another close season exercise!!

Manager's X!?? Waiters in goal. Big Malc at the back with Moncur? Bingham on the wing? Ufton on the advertising hoarding!!?? :lol: Sheridan in mid? Quite a good team I reckon. Shall we make it post War?? :think:

G

Greenskin

Pogleswoody":2ptq79x4 said:
Greenskin":2ptq79x4 said:
Beyton_Green":2ptq79x4 said:
If we're talking the last 30 years surely Bobby Williamson and Paul Mariner should be included in the debate?

... add Sturrock in and we'd be well set for Div 1 (all players at their 'peak' natch!!)

Manager's X!?? Waiters in goal. Big Malc at the back with Moncur? Bingham on the wing? Ufton on the advertising hoarding!!?? :lol: Sheridan in mid? Quite a good team I reckon. Shall we make it post War?? :think:

Johnny Hore at right back,Dave Smith left back, Steve McCall, Peter Reid in midfield with Sheridan and we've cracked it.

Subs Brown,Hodges,Shilton [!],Saxton,Rowley,Dougall and,Fletcher

And of course Ellis Stuttard as chief scout. Premier league here we come.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
To be fair Luggy got us up as Champions before setting us up to get promoted to the Championship thanks to Bobby stepping in at the right time when Luggy headed off to Southampton and Kevin Summerfield was struggling. Second time around was a nightmare for all concerned. Get us back up to the Championship and he will be right up there.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Find it sad that yet another thread has been made for people to make some subtle digs at Adams. Not sure why we can't just celebrate the manager we have, he's a fantastic fit for Argyle and his work isn't yet done.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Cobi...its not a dig at Adams but a quite interesting debate as to whether Adams is the best manager we have ever had...and I guess that starts at around 1903......he would not get in the top ten in my opinion .....

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
oddball":2re02kru said:
Cobi...its not a dig at Adams but a quite interesting debate as to whether Adams is the best manager we have ever had...and I guess that starts at around 1903......he would not get in the top ten in my opinion .....

I think we should wait until his time at the club is over to judge him alongside others who have been and gone, let's just enjoy the fact he's here now.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Cobi.... you have to look at the present,one promotion as runner up,that is it,and what this thread is all about, not some unpredictable future..

Sep 6, 2006
Beyton_Green":1gonn49m said:

It's about the best manager not the worst!

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Bobby Williamson gets a lot of grief on here...yet it pays to remember a few facts....when $turrock left and Summers took over we weren't doing too well(everyone remembers Oldham away). It was only when Williamson came aboard and steadied the ship that we got promoted...who could forget the 2-0 win over QPR and Sparksy's famous comment the Greens are going up....Best match I've ever seen at Home Park in over 55years...

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Pogleswoody":1zft8m1h said:
Greenskin":1zft8m1h said:
Beyton_Green":1zft8m1h said:

With Ken Brown as centre half and McCall as the midfield general. What a team?

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
oddball":2xpmb0k7 said:
Bobby Williamson gets a lot of grief on here...yet it pays to remember a few facts....when $turrock left and Summers took over we weren't doing too well(everyone remembers Oldham away). It was only when Williamson came aboard and steadied the ship that we got promoted...who could forget the 2-0 win over QPR and Sparksy's famous comment the Greens are going up....Best match I've ever seen at Home Park in over 55years...

You missed last year's Pompey though Al.

Sep 6, 2006
oddball":25thiv96 said:

So one game saves his reputation does it? he was clueless. Think he ended up managing in Uganda as nobody would touch him here. More concerned with spending his time in the Barbican alehouses I heard.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Adams is 100% committed, lives locally, lives the job, is very persuasive in his recruitment pitch and has a training regime that is respected and acknowledged by the players as well as supporters.

It may be too early to say that he's the best but he's certainly made an impressive start to achieving that accolade.

G

Greenskin

Balham_Green":3uvbc7ba said:
oddball":3uvbc7ba said:

So one game saves his reputation does it? he was clueless. Think he ended up managing in Uganda as nobody would touch him here. More concerned with spending his time in the Barbican alehouses I heard.

Any actual evidence that the latter sentence was true? Because "wot I 'eard" was different in that some rather malicious rumours about Williamson's conduct were cast far and wide, including on PASOTI, by someone in a position of authority and alleged confidentiality at Home park who really should have known better-maybe he didn't actually care about knowing better. I was no blind faith advocate of Williamson but he did some good things such as signing Buzz, Doumbe,Dodd and Blackstock which helped to keep Argyle in the second tier in that difficult first season back in the CCC. For sure he also made some bad signings and definitely had lost the plot by the early stages of the next season-the time was right for him to go and set operation Pulis into action. It may be of relevance in connection to the "Williamson was always peed" stories to say that I knew of his sacking about 5 hours before he did via a contact at the club, which just about sums up the abysmal way the guy was treated by certain elements within the hierarchy at Home park.