Adams the best ? I don't think so. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Adams the best ? I don't think so.

Sep 6, 2006
ealinggreen":2ietbvjw said:
Sturrock would have liked Threlkeld and Jake.The massive advantage Sturrock had was Evans and Frio they were a class apart.However I am not sure that makes Sturrock a better manager,would he have got our current team promoted ? Adams did.Adams would definetly have got Sturrocks team promoted,they were a class apart for this division.

Jervis wouldn't have got in that team. Sturrock created that team that's why it was so good.Not sure what budget he had.

Sep 6, 2006
Presto":1ctmzi86 said:
We recently had a thread about ego size - seems to me that many posters on this site have personal ego size problems.

Why don't you just respond to the thread rather than making comments about posters?! What's wrong with you?

Mar 14, 2009
Ave_IT":39ommzoa said:
third earl of jean":39ommzoa said:
I'm a big fan of Adams and hope he's here for many years to come, he'd be in my top 3 Argyle managers in my time following. But... there's no way he is better than Sturrock mark 1 yet, for one thing his in game tactical adjustments & subsitutions were superior, and no way this years team was better than 2001/02
.....every word ... :iagree:

Well said...

If you just look at the spine of both teams l would take Larrieu over McCormick, Friio over Carey and Bradley over Coughlan, Evans over Taylor.

Larrieu commanded his box better.

Friio just gets the nod because l believe he was more consistent during the course of a season. We have seen Carey go missing for periods in both of the last two seasons.

Bradley just gets the nod. Both scored vital goals. Both are leaders. I just think Bradley has a little more pace than Coughlan.

Evans was fundamental in holding the ball up. Very under-rated to the job he did. Not many CB's got the better of him physically. I can't remember too many times Evans being man handled by defenders. We never seemed to have a problem with him playing as the only forward, away from home. Taylor will probably score more but even he struggles sometimes up front on his own with the physicality of even L2 defenders.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
If you were to pick an all time top ten of argyle managers since way back........Adams wouldn't feature......

Jul 29, 2010
Comparing the incomparable, a harmless but ultimately pointless close season distraction.

Derek Adams is a good manager, can we not just content ourselves with that?

OnicknowlePete

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 6, 2004
Plymouth
I think it was our "El Presidente" Chris Webb who stated that he thought Adams was our best manager in 30 years. Although difficult to compare, I would wonder how many of today's team would still be in it if and when we got to the Championship again. Another factor is that Adams job has just got into second gear so I would need to wait and see how things go over the next few years if he remains with us,
Pete
Oh and Cocko all day long for me :scarf:

G

Greenskin

oddball":2dak2300 said:
If you were to pick an all time top ten of argyle managers since way back........Adams wouldn't feature......

May be an idea to wait until Adams reign finally comes to an end before making a complete judgement. Anyway,going back to 1964 which would be my starting point, then he certainly would be in the top 10-who would be the 9 above him? Waiters and Smith certainly, Sturrock mark 1,possibly Warnock-beyond those then it would be difficult to make a case for many others in comparison. Maybe if people like Robert Jack, Jimmy Rae and Jack Rowley were considered then he would be edged down the list but very difficult to comment on matters from that far in the past.

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
Balham_Green":vcw2rix6 said:
ealinggreen":vcw2rix6 said:
Sturrock would have liked Threlkeld and Jake.The massive advantage Sturrock had was Evans and Frio they were a class apart.However I am not sure that makes Sturrock a better manager,would he have got our current team promoted ? Adams did.Adams would definetly have got Sturrocks team promoted,they were a class apart for this division.

Jervis wouldn't have got in that team. Sturrock created that team that's why it was so good.Not sure what budget he had.

He's no world beater BG, but I think he would be close to the Sturrock first 11 given how much he has scored in the last two years from a wide attacking position.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
It`s like comparing apples and oranges.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
As Mr Skin has said, far too early too say yet.

If DA stays for another 5 years, gets us to the Championship, gets our Academy to another level by what's' happening to Harper's Park, and gets us a couple of million pound 'sales' - He would surely be right up there.

To me, Luggy is God.

dunlop

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Nov 17, 2009
I was realy surprised Chris wrote that piece in the Herald,football is all about opinions but saying Adams was the best manager in the last 30 years when you compare him Sturrock is way off the mark how many championships has Da won compared to PS mk1.

CW says Adams teams play better football, they played a different style of football Sturrock was high octane get it up to Trigger asap and the ball would stick, Adams tried to play a bit more football but most of the time it was lump it up top but there was no one of Triggers ability to hold the ball up. Our home form last season was dire we had the rub of the green on so many occasions, I can't remember such a poor home season unders PS, yes Adams had a good away record, Sturrocks was not to bad either.
Last seasons team was the poorest promotion team I have see compared to the other 6 promotions. I think there would be only 3 players who would have got in Sturrocks squad Oscar, Bradley and Carey.
As previous post say it is far to early to make a comparison let's hope Adams does go on to be not only the best in the past 30 years but the best ever Argyle manager.

Beyton Green

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 19, 2005
If we're talking the last 30 years surely Bobby Williamson and Paul Mariner should be included in the debate?

G

Greenskin

Beyton_Green":1vmh0u2i said:
If we're talking the last 30 years surely Bobby Williamson and Paul Mariner should be included in the debate?

:) Not a bad striking combination on the pitch to be fair.