World Cup games thread (Not England) | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

World Cup games thread (Not England)

Sep 6, 2006
I thought Spain were poor and all credit to Russia for their work rate and organisation. However the comments above about it being boring and Spain are anti football shows how clueless the posters are. So you think a team playing with 10 defenders is a victory for football do you? Is that what you want to watch? Is thst entertaining? Am not knocking Russia but then to slag off Spain for the type of football they play is bizarre in the extreme.

Sep 6, 2006
Cobi Budge":239h3o5v said:
One of these teams will definitely be in the World Cup final...

Colombia
Croatia
Denmark
England
Russia
Sweden
Switzerland

Russia not good enough so down to 6. Ditto Columbia and Denmark. England too inexperienced. That leaves 3.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Balham_Green":75yf3uss said:
I thought Spain were poor and all credit to Russia for their work rate and organisation. However the comments above about it being boring and Spain are anti football shows how clueless the posters are. So you think a team playing with 10 defenders is a victory for football do you? Is that what you want to watch? Is thst entertaining? Am not knocking Russia but then to slag off Spain for the type of football they play is bizarre in the extreme.

Just heard a comment on the radio that Iniesta was dropped as they thought they had to move the ball quickly, get it forward and get it to Costa in the box. As some woman from Grantham once said: No! No! No!
They have great technical ability but , if you have that, you have to use it positively to beat 'lesser' teams. Ramos y al pushed the ball around throughout as though it was a preseason exhibition game. They didn't deserve to win, so can be criticised for the type of football they didn't play!

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Balham_Green":34op2ovv said:

OK BG, I'll bite... did I say I enjoyed watching Russia? I thought they were abysmally poor, but Spain were equally guilty of being clueless. If England had played like that (Spain), they would be endlessly lambasted. Apart from Isco (who was everywhere), where was the movement? Who was creating space? Maybe they were playing for penalties!! :lol:

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
Lousy_Pint":1qauwrjv said:
Balham_Green":1qauwrjv said:

OK BG, I'll bite... did I say I enjoyed watching Russia? I thought they were abysmally poor, but Spain were equally guilty of being clueless. If England had played like that (Spain), they would be endlessly lambasted. Apart from Isco (who was everywhere), where was the movement? Who was creating space? Maybe they were playing for penalties!! :lol:

I’d rather watch a team like Russia dig in than Spain endlessly pushing the ball sideways.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Spain moved the ball around passively, sideways and backwards for 120 minutes, no aggression, played like they were three nil up. They also played in a similar way against Iran.

Russia weren’t pretty but they showed immense fight and discipline.

That’s why Russia getting the win is good for football, perhaps not stylistically, but in that the underdog who wanted it more came up trumps against a footballing power who have perhaps gotten too big for their boots.

Sep 25, 2010
Green_Matt":3d5euu1o said:
GreenThing":3d5euu1o said:
Brussels Bureaucrat":3d5euu1o said:
This has been one hell of a World Cup. Fingers crossed Uruguay hold on here and ruin Cristiano Ronaldo's marketing plan.

You’re right, this world cup has been brilliant so far. The only thing which has marred the experience has been the tv commentary. You'd Think that Ronaldo and Messi are the only players in it and the rest are there to make up numbers. Well they’re not in it now, let’s concentrate on the footy.
It doesn't seem right that Messi and Ronaldo have to go home yet Guy Mowbray and Phil Neville are staying.

I agree you with Phil Neville, but Guy Mowbray is not to bad, but get rid of Clive Tylesbury and Alan Green, absolute knobs, havn’t got a clue.

Regarding Messi and Ronaldo, Messi is more of a team player, Ronaldo seems to me only cares about Ronaldo, okay he scored a hat trick, but one was a pen, and one was a keeper error, , the free kick although was brilliant, as was a header, but overall Ronaldo had a average World Cup, and last night against Uruguay, was very, very poor, he should have been taken off, all he was worried about was himself, kept looking at the cameras.

Sep 25, 2010
Cobi Budge":7r5aea9k said:
Spain moved the ball around passively, sideways and backwards for 120 minutes, no aggression, played like they were three nil up. They also played in a similar way against Iran.

That’s why Russia getting the win is good for football, perhaps not stylistically, but in that the underdog who wanted it more came up trumps against a footballing power who have perhaps gotten too big for their boots.

I agree, watching, Spain, Barcelona and now Man City play, absolutely boring, pass after pass, after pass, after pass, after pass, backwards and sideways, like England did for the last 20 mins against Panama.

Let’s be a bit more adventurous and exciting.

Super horns

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Jul 26, 2008
I thought Croatia would be the team to beat in our section but on this form they'll be lucky to win the penalty shoot out.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Not sure why the ref had a 5 minute chat with the keepers about staying on their line, then let them come off early for every single penalty.

May 22, 2006
It's been a great world cup but I hope it isn't spoiled by too many teams playing for pens. Today's games were garbage.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
Ham Green":13hnwjra said:
How was that only a yellow?

The law has been amended. As he was making a clear attempt to play the ball, "double jeopardy" comes in and it's a penalty and a caution. Had it been outside the box he'd have got a red for denying a clear goal scoring opportunity but the awarding of the penalty is now interpreted as the goal scoring opportunity is still there, albeit from the spot.

If the attacker is simply "taken out" by the defender without a genuine attempt to play the ball, then it becomes serious foul play which still attracts a red card.

Sep 13, 2003
Martyn":3surwcdb said:
Cobi Budge":3surwcdb said:

I agree, watching, Spain, Barcelona and now Man City play, absolutely boring, pass after pass, after pass, after pass, after pass, backwards and sideways, like England did for the last 20 mins against Panama.

Let’s be a bit more adventurous and exciting.

It was 34 degrees in Nizhny Novgorod, the stadium was like a greenhouse with the glass roof and the players collapsed at the final whistle. Blimey, we scored 6 in the sweltering heat and people are still complaining..