Will we be in the Championship next season? | Page 11 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Will we be in the Championship next season?

Do you think we'll break our transfer record this summer?

• Yes

Votes: 76 83.5%
  • No

Votes: 15 16.5%

• Total voters
Dec 1, 2019
Unfortunately can’t see us beating Hull & I can’t get away from the feeling that Brum will beat Norwich 3-0, so hope I’m wrong.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
My worry is if we survive & the euphoria of staying up is looked at by the club that the process of what actions we took this year gets more validated.

This squad isn't good enough. If we get relegated my fear is they will see we have Scarr & Houghton contracted to the club. Yet we already seen unless Scarr is in the middle of a back 3 he get punished by pace. We seen Houghton doesn't protect the defence like a CDM can,

In all honesty, it doesn't matter whether we survive or not unless the club rethinks their recruitment. We talk about being a front foot side, yet don't have the players who can keep possesion. We don't have enough goalscorers in our squad. We don't have enough althetic players to cover the gaps when we pour forward.

Bigger than if we stay up or not, is our recruitment strategy from here. I just don't see who on earth thought we wouldnt be in this mess by having one experienced forward all season in the squad.
Big assumption there Mickey. The club will look at what happened (in all fairness, they already are) and learn from what was and wasn't done effectively. Managers, coaching staff, players - everything will be evaluated based on the KPIs as that's what businesses do.

Sep 6, 2006
My worry is if we survive & the euphoria of staying up is looked at by the club that the process of what actions we took this year gets more validated.

This squad isn't good enough. If we get relegated my fear is they will see we have Scarr & Houghton contracted to the club. Yet we already seen unless Scarr is in the middle of a back 3 he get punished by pace. We seen Houghton doesn't protect the defence like a CDM can,

In all honesty, it doesn't matter whether we survive or not unless the club rethinks their recruitment. We talk about being a front foot side, yet don't have the players who can keep possesion. We don't have enough goalscorers in our squad. We don't have enough althetic players to cover the gaps when we pour forward.

Bigger than if we stay up or not, is our recruitment strategy from here. I just don't see who on earth thought we wouldnt be in this mess by having one experienced forward all season in the squad.
Nail head. With that strategy its a miracle we are still in with a shout. The recruitment team have hardly covered themselves with glory. Look at the recent signings. Pleggy(not good enough) Forshaw (crock) Sorinola(what was the point) Wright x2 (League 1 at best) Waine (whose idea was that?!).

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
Big assumption there Mickey. The club will look at what happened (in all fairness, they already are) and learn from what was and wasn't done effectively. Managers, coaching staff, players - everything will be evaluated based on the KPIs as that's what businesses do.

We won't know until this summer. I'm not saying they won't learn. I'm just asking if they will learn?

l look at the recruitment in January & they didn't learn. In fact they made it worse by bringing in more inexperienced players. Most fans said we need an extra forward to support Hardie. Now we watch him out of form & running of fumes.

I've convinced they will go down the inexperienced coach route once more. Someone like Micheal Duff l accept is not everyone's cup of tea but l believe, especially in league one, it's the kind of experience you need. I don't see Argyle going for this type of person though.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
We won't know until this summer. I'm not saying they won't learn. I'm just asking if they will learn?

l look at the recruitment in January & they didn't learn. In fact they made it worse by bringing in more inexperienced players. Most fans said we need an extra forward to support Hardie. Now we watch him out of form & running of fumes.

I've convinced they will go down the inexperienced coach route once more. Someone like Micheal Duff l accept is not everyone's cup of tea but l believe, especially in league one, it's the kind of experience you need. I don't see Argyle going for this type of person though.
I'm a fan of him, but ND will need to do his due diligence as to why Swansea hoofed him. Could it have been an IF type scenario? The recruitment in January was poor. On paper, it looked ok but we still didn't get that elusive 3rd (experienced) striker. I'm not blaming the club entirely tho; the whole IF seemed to derail everything tbh

Reactions: Ky dv
Sep 6, 2006
I'm a fan of him, but ND will need to do his due diligence as to why Swansea hoofed him. Could it have been an IF type scenario? The recruitment in January was poor. On paper, it looked ok but we still didn't get that elusive 3rd (experienced) striker. I'm not blaming the club entirely tho; the whole IF seemed to derail everything tbh
3rd? who's the 2nd?

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
I'm a fan of him, but ND will need to do his due diligence as to why Swansea hoofed him. Could it have been an IF type scenario? The recruitment in January was poor. On paper, it looked but we still didn't get that elusive 3rd (experienced) striker. I'm not blaming the club entirely tho; the whole IF seemed to derail everything tbh

I'd like to see a proper clear out. Especially with a new manager. Build a team around Cooper, Gibson (if they want to stay), Randell & Mumba (find him a position his dribbling can flourish in). I'd keep Edwards as a player coach.

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
I'd like to see a proper clear out. Especially with a new manager. Build a team around Cooper, Gibson (if they want to stay), Randell & Mumba (find him a position his dribbling can flourish in). I'd keep Edwards as a player coach.
Can't disagree really. Pleggy is technically good, he has had a year to adapt and I expect him to flourish next season.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth

In the Championship I agree but if we dropped a league, then Scarr and Bundu should be factored into that as well. Scarr would be one of the best central defenders in L1 and Bundu if we can get consistency out of him could do serious damage at that level with his athleticism and quality.

MGM

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 7, 2021
In the Championship I agree but if we dropped a league, then Scarr and Bundu should be factored into that as well. Scarr would be one of the best central defenders in L1 and Bundu if we can get consistency out of him could do serious damage at that level with his athleticism and quality.

Bundu l agree with. Think there is raw potential there.

My issue with Scarr is he is exposed in a back four. If Houghton remains just in front of him you just exposing your defence time after time.

Reactions: Monster Green
Jul 12, 2016
This is where we have come unstuck. Recruiting players when we were in league one who had some potential but not good enough for the championship. Unfortunately we cannot match the finances of Ipswich but that is what they did last season and are now reaping the rewards.

Oct 20, 2022
Hard to move from Spain and perform at your best.He could improve next year as a starter in League 1 but would really have to step up in the Championship.Still think he could play well as a CDM.