Who would you like for the new CEO? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who would you like for the new CEO?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
TJH":1r7ac5as said:
This isnā€™t about getting a familiar or high profile name, itā€™s about having the right skills and ideas to move the club forward.

It would be unfair on the current set-up to say no progress has been made but we are still way short of where I would like us.

Ticketing and ground development etc presumably comes down to managing suppliers and contractors which is an important element I suppose but where I really want to see us improve is on 1) scouting, 2) transfers / contracts and 3) the youth set-up.
The
The latter will take financial investment at some stage but scouting is comparatively inexpensive and an area where the club could improve so quickly. Relying on the contacts of DA and PW will only take us so far and we donā€™t have the finances to buy the ā€˜obviousā€™ targets. If we are going to progress past our current level we have to make better use of the non-league and European markets
I would have thought that the 3 areas that you have identified are all fairly well covered. DAā€™s chief scout, Greg Strong or others within his network seem to have unearthed a few nuggets, transfers seem to be dealt with efficiently and our Academy also seems to be progressing well with the likelihood that at least another 2 promising second year apprentices, in addition to Mike Cooper, will be offered contracts.

Thatā€™s how I see it from the outside but perhaps you have more detailed knowledge of the internal management of our Club.

Feb 28, 2016
A Massive no to Dunford, the man who tried to scrap Semper before games, clearly has absolutely zero respect for the traditions of the club. We are well rid of him, it is bad enough we have to endure som god awful, record played after Semper now.

Also a massive no in letting Adams anywhere near the decision making. In what other business/organisation would you let middle management appoint senior management?!

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
davie nine":1lsokjzt said:
TJH":1lsokjzt said:
This isnā€™t about getting a familiar or high profile name, itā€™s about having the right skills and ideas to move the club forward.

It would be unfair on the current set-up to say no progress has been made but we are still way short of where I would like us.

Ticketing and ground development etc presumably comes down to managing suppliers and contractors which is an important element I suppose but where I really want to see us improve is on 1) scouting, 2) transfers / contracts and 3) the youth set-up.
The
The latter will take financial investment at some stage but scouting is comparatively inexpensive and an area where the club could improve so quickly. Relying on the contacts of DA and PW will only take us so far and we donā€™t have the finances to buy the ā€˜obviousā€™ targets. If we are going to progress past our current level we have to make better use of the non-league and European markets
I would have thought that the 3 areas that you have identified are all fairly well covered. DAā€™s chief scout, Greg Strong or others within his network seem to have unearthed a few nuggets, transfers seem to be dealt with efficiently and our Academy also seems to be progressing well with the likelihood that at least another 2 promising second year apprentices, in addition to Mike Cooper, will be offered contracts.

Thatā€™s how I see it from the outside but perhaps you have more detailed knowledge of the internal management of our Club.

There's "fairly well covered" and then there's someone who can come in and take the club to a whole new level on the back of them.

For a club as isolated as Argyle you need to be doing far more than just getting by on these things. You have to be ahead of the game and doing something different to the rest of the league that gives us an edge to level the playing field again. The CEO is an integral part of that, they will need to bring fresh ideas that fit our location and Derek's quite hands on approach.

It's a tough job which is why skills over just being a "big name" is a must.

May 3, 2016
No to Dunford and his baggage, he's old school, we need someone with new ideas.
I'm sure JB will get this one right as with previous appointments, it's a high profile position - hence no to Dunford. :wave:

Voice of Reason

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner šŸ‘Øā€āš–ļø
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Sep 30, 2004
If your member of middle management is well respected, knowledgeable and quite possibly one of your prize assets (we would be due considerable compensation if another club came in) it would be total folly not to sound him out and discuss the options and avenues open to you. After all DA would be expected to report directly to the CEO - so stupidly naive no to involve him in some capacity.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
MarkMatthews":3uhec17l said:
A Massive no to Dunford, the man who tried to scrap Semper before games, clearly has absolutely zero respect for the traditions of the club. We are well rid of him, it is bad enough we have to endure som god awful, record played after Semper now.

Also a massive no in letting Adams anywhere near the decision making. In what other business/organisation would you let middle management appoint senior management?!
If you are referring to my suggestion that DA should ā€˜be involved in the appointment procedureā€™, there is a difference between that and making the appointment.

I would also suggest that the positions of CEO and Team Manager are both senior management appointments and that it is crucial that they respect one another and understand their roles within the organisation.

IJN

Site Owner
Nov 29, 2012
Emu":3qwj9n19 said:
Has anyone mentioned Roger Mathews or Captain Tall yet? :)

Captain Tall is far too busy playing golf in Cambridgeshire. :greensmile:

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Michael Dunford is CEO at Chesterfield currently. Probably one of the most respected CEO's in the game. Massive integrity, recognised as such by the FA. I have no idea whether the ticketing fiascos and lack of corporate direction would have happened under his watch (had he been CEO) but I doubt it.

May 8, 2011
Duncan Rice":22hvtvyr said:
Michael Dunford is CEO at Chesterfield currently. Probably one of the most respected CEO's in the game. Massive integrity, recognised as such by the FA. I have no idea whether the ticketing fiascos and lack of corporate direction would have happened under his watch (had he been CEO) but I doubt it.

I have no idea what is meant by ā€˜corporate directionā€™, so I donā€™t know if weā€™ve been lacking it.

Jul 9, 2008
Plymouth
Corporate direction= Our aim is Championship! (At least)... so its one step up from how we have bern functioning. Ticketing, hospitality (absolutely key matchdays and also to non match day income), reception of away fans, catering for home fans... needs (must) be more professional.