Who do we want as our new Manager | Page 53 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who do we want as our new Manager

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
If only it was an exact science.

For every John Mousinho, there's more first appointment failures.

Guess there might be some managers added to the available list as the dust settles on this season, although these are likely to be people regarded as underachieving.

No clue as to the thinking at the club, but, suspect they'll be ideally looking for a (relatively) up and coming coach again.

Maybe someone with some short term experience of a hot seat (or experience of being close to the top job at a club of our size or larger as McKenna had pre- Ipswich) and with the personality to promote the club positively will be needed after Foster.

Hopefully, things will be sorted before the FA Cup Final as the new person will have a number of things to address on arrival ahead of August 2024.

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
If only it was an exact science.

For every John Mousinho, there's more first appointment failures.

Guess there might be some managers added to the available list as the dust settles on this season, although these are likely to be people regarded as underachieving.

No clue as to the thinking at the club, but, suspect they'll be ideally looking for a (relatively) up and coming coach again.

Maybe someone with some short term experience of a hot seat (or experience of being close to the top job at a club of our size or larger as McKenna had pre- Ipswich) and with the personality to promote the club positively will be needed after Foster.

Hopefully, things will be sorted before the FA Cup Final as the new person will have a number of things to address on arrival ahead of August 2024.
Interesting thqtvin the last 2 years rookies have won league 1 be interesting to see how moushino performs and whether Stoke manage to poach him in the summer !😆

Reactions: CFG
Aug 23, 2006
Home Park
Edit....BTW your avatar always makes me smile. I loved Dave Smith as our manager and once spent a very interesting and funny hour in his company in a hotel in Leyland the night before a match. Fortunately well before social media as he gave us details of the team for the following day!
As you can tell by my avatar Its been a while since I was at school my friend lol.

Reactions: Said old Green
Nov 7, 2008
With this appointment almost certainly being in closed season, it will be interesting to know the different market we will be shopping in.

Trying to appoint mid season, as we were forced to do, was always going to limit the pool of candidates available, especially with a fairly limited budget.

I think we'll have a much bigger number of people to choose from and, whilst not wanting to drag on, not have such a massive time pressure.

IF we stay up, we'll have shown we can survive, only making us more attractive option. Going to very interesting!!

Reactions: Belfast Green
May 4, 2012
Sunderland
I'm always a bit wary of managers who get the job just by virtue of being the oldest player. Happens a lot in the lower leagues and seems to be the case with Williamson at Gateshead.

He's been a success there and at MKD but does make me wonder whether he's got the detailed coaching knowledge to be a success in the Championship or is he winging it a bit at a lower level of football.

I'm sure that after Foster people will be saying that good coaching can't be taught on a course etc. But that one experience doesn't negate the fact that in general, football puts an increasingly high premium on coaching and other relevant qualifications and that there is a good reason for that.

(This is more a general point about the value of coaching qualifications than about Williamson - I'm assuming from the fact he went into the manager's job more or less straight from playing, with no real coaching experience, that he hasn't had much in the way of education/apprenticeship. If he has, that would make him a more attractive candidate in my eyes).
I was in the media team at Gateshead when Mike joined as a player, and during his time as manager, and there was far more to him getting the job than just him being the oldest player. When he joined the club he joined as a player coach, it was a very, very, young team and he was the one real experienced player. So much happened in that season, with the club nearly going bankrupt and folding. Williamson was a real leader throughout, and helped out younger players who were struggling with tough times when no-one was getting paid. All experienced staff other than Williamson had gone by the end of the season, almost all players had gone. Williamson having been a coach, knowing the club, having a pull of being Mike Williamson a former Premier League player who has played in Europe and been Newcastle's player of the season in the Premier League one year made sense for all parties. He had a professional squad in the National League North, which is a bit of an advantage, but Gateshead are fan owned, don't own their stadium and rely largely on sponsors to survive. The budget was tiny and smaller than some part time teams. Despite that Williamson got his team playing some of the best football I've ever seen a side play. He's also been really good at improving players. Look at Macauley Langstaff's career before he started playing for Mike, he put his improvement down to the work Williamson did with him on the training ground. Then into the National League, with either the smallest or second smallest budget in the league Williamson got Gateshead to stay up last season while guiding them to the FA Trophy final. This season, still with one of the smallest budgets in the league, and Gateshead were flying high in the league when Williamson was poached by MK, and still playing great football the entire time. A number of out of favour players joined Gateshead on loan during this time, had the form of their lives and then earnt bigger contracts elsewhere. MK were 16th when Williamson was appointed. They are completely unrecognisable from the team he took over back in October.

I do think he would probably be reluctant to take on the job though unless he had assurances over contract length. He's got a young family, and I assume he's moved down to MK when he took the job - although I'm not certain about that. If they didn't, and if he was to move here then he'd be a very long way from his family up in Newcastle if they're still there. If they're not still there, and if they've gone with him then it could be difficult to persuade him to uproot his family again after such a short space of time.

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Oct 19, 2021
Did well at QPR but he seems a strange fella who rubs people up the wrong way. He was caught out at Sunderland creating fake social media accounts to praise himself.
Strange would be an understatement. I’d be amazed if he got another job after his disastrous stints at Rangers and Sunderland.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Sep 6, 2006
I was in the media team at Gateshead when Mike joined as a player, and during his time as manager, and there was far more to him getting the job than just him being the oldest player. When he joined the club he joined as a player coach, it was a very, very, young team and he was the one real experienced player. So much happened in that season, with the club nearly going bankrupt and folding. Williamson was a real leader throughout, and helped out younger players who were struggling with tough times when no-one was getting paid. All experienced staff other than Williamson had gone by the end of the season, almost all players had gone. Williamson having been a coach, knowing the club, having a pull of being Mike Williamson a former Premier League player who has played in Europe and been Newcastle's player of the season in the Premier League one year made sense for all parties. He had a professional squad in the National League North, which is a bit of an advantage, but Gateshead are fan owned, don't own their stadium and rely largely on sponsors to survive. The budget was tiny and smaller than some part time teams. Despite that Williamson got his team playing some of the best football I've ever seen a side play. He's also been really good at improving players. Look at Macauley Langstaff's career before he started playing for Mike, he put his improvement down to the work Williamson did with him on the training ground. Then into the National League, with either the smallest or second smallest budget in the league Williamson got Gateshead to stay up last season while guiding them to the FA Trophy final. This season, still with one of the smallest budgets in the league, and Gateshead were flying high in the league when Williamson was poached by MK, and still playing great football the entire time. A number of out of favour players joined Gateshead on loan during this time, had the form of their lives and then earnt bigger contracts elsewhere. MK were 16th when Williamson was appointed. They are completely unrecognisable from the team he took over back in October.

I do think he would probably be reluctant to take on the job though unless he had assurances over contract length. He's got a young family, and I assume he's moved down to MK when he took the job - although I'm not certain about that. If they didn't, and if he was to move here then he'd be a very long way from his family up in Newcastle if they're still there. If they're not still there, and if they've gone with him then it could be difficult to persuade him to uproot his family again after such a short space of time.
But managers have job security with us. Oh wait a minute....!

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
I'm firmly in the Michael Skubala camp based on the names I've seen thrown around so far. He's done a really good job at Lincoln since November, plays decent attacking football and they've been relatively solid defensively. He does not have the elite coaching background that Ian Foster came with, but we have seen he can actually manage a professional football team to play his style of football. By all accounts he is popular with the players and fans, and he comes across well in interviews. I think he ticks a lot of boxes. In particular I think he is the right character, a good motivator and can get players to play for him, which Foster really could not do.

This is a really good article, written by him, about his early time at Lincoln: https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/michael-skubala-lincoln-city/

The question is whether we could tempt him away. There sounds like a lot of similarity between how Lincoln and we operate.

The other reason is that I would quite like us to recruit a few of Lincoln's players and this would give us a headstart. Lasse Sorensen, the Lincoln right wing back is out of contract in the summer and would be an excellent long term replacement for Joe Edwards. Good defensively and offers a lot going forward. The other is Ethan Erhahon who is a defensive midfielder. He's got a great engine, tenacious, athletic and good quality on the ball. I think he'd be a upgrade on Houghton. He's not out of contract and would cost a decent amount, but I think he's got potential to play at a good level.

Feb 14, 2022
IF we stay up, we'll have shown we can survive, only making us more attractive option. Going to very interesting!!

More attractive than a L1 or L2 job yes. But still the least attractive Championship job available - Sunderland, Millwall, Watford and us all available already. Maybe Birmingham depending on Mowbray's health. Then we have potentially Sheff Utd and Burnley coming down looking for new managers if Kompany moves on. Then we have the top 4. If Leicester and/or Leeds miss out, a change is likely. McKenna could get poached from Ipswich if they don't go up. Whatever happens we will be the least attractive Championship job available for sure and I think that is just being realistic not negative.

Reactions: Said old Green