Who Didn't Say This.... | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Who Didn't Say This....

Dec 2, 2010
Good piece from Mark McGhee today. Make a few small changes to what he said and.....

"On behalf of the fans, we should feel embarrassed to be in this league and to be in this position."

"From a grander perspective - and I mean this is in the best possible way - there are three leagues above us and in a sense I'm embarrassed Argyle are in League Two.

"I think Argyle should be embarrassed to be in the second division.

"I'm going to games - I was at Hereford against Cheltenham during the week - and I'm almost hoping that people don't speak to me, because I feel embarrassed.

"I don't want people patronising me or pitying me - I just want to get us out of this league."

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Pointless thread.

No-one wants Argyle to be where we are but that won't change a thing. Also changing Bristol Rovers to Argyle doesn't make it any more or less relevant. We will be here again next year at best. There Is a very slight possibility of relegation but not likely.

We won our last game of football and we're playing our fiercest rivals tomorrow so lets concentrate on that for now. :scarf:

Aug 19, 2009
Ade the green":1np5hr6x said:
Pointless thread.

No-one wants Argyle to be where we are but that won't change a thing. Also changing Bristol Rovers to Argyle doesn't make it any more or less relevant. We will be here again next year at best. There Is a very slight possibility of relegation but not likely.
We won our last game of football and we're playing our fiercest rivals tomorrow so lets concentrate on that for now. :scarf:

Very slight!!! I think it is a tad more than that, after recent weeks showings!

Aug 22, 2006
The funny thing pilgrim61 is you've actually brought us to the attention of a manager who is doing considerably a lot worse than Fletcher especially if you weigh up what team he inherited, his experience, oh granted the team's had it's fair share of injuries but we never like to use them type of excuses so why should we apply them to other teams.

Funnily enough i've worked with McGhee's son before - nice chap, can't remember if he liked Bourbon or not.

Dec 2, 2010
Ade the green":1jacfl7g said:
Pointless thread.

The point of highlighting it is just that...to highlight that some managers are willing to articulate what they and others think.

Let's hope we win tomorrow and CF can crow like a cock!

If we don't, I hope not to read the same ol' claptrap aBout luck, possession and hard work. I'd respect Fletch a lot more if had the temerity and courage to say something like this.

Here's to 3 points tomorrow!! :scarf:

Jul 6, 2011
Pilgrim61":3bmh4zrf said:
Ade the green":3bmh4zrf said:
Pointless thread.

The point of highlighting it is just that...to highlight that some managers are willing to articulate what they and others think.

Let's hope we win tomorrow and CF can crow like a cock!

If we don't, I hope not to read the same ol' claptrap aBout luck, possession and hard work. I'd respect Fletch a lot more if had the temerity and courage to say something like this.

Here's to 3 points tomorrow!! :scarf:

I guess you're suggesting that he lays into the team publicly, tells them & everyone else who will listen how cr@p they are. Well, I'm a little unsure of the benefits of that, but I guess some fans will think it a good idea.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Change Hereford to Plymouth, and that's what big time charlies like Paul Ince and Steven Bywater used to say about Argyle.

It's not a respectful thing to say, and doesn't change anything so why say it? Why don't managers just sort their tactics out and stop deflecting criticism with their nonsense.

Jul 29, 2010
I would feel more connected and in tune with my manager if he came out with that than I do with the delluded and failure to admit fault things Fletch says, that's why.

To that end the thread is not a "pointless" one, it actually shows he has some pride and wishes to restore the club to where it should be not become comfortable here.

Pride is one of the many things missing from team Fletch, the grass is growing under our feet in division 4........or 5 as we're headed if the rot doesn't stop.

ejh

Sep 27, 2012
Disrespecting your competitors isn't restoring pride (unless it's Exeter) - winning games and getting out of the division is. Let's have a go at trying that first before turning Joe Kinnear on everyone.

Jul 29, 2010
But it shows you HAVE pride, nest pas?

What was the last passionate, pride inducing, Plymouth Argyle promoting statement that Fletch made?

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
For inducing pride in the team, we are all agreed that results will do that. Maybe just maybe we will now see the results that some performances have warranted. We don't know what Carl Fletcher says to the team in private but I prefer a manager that protects his side in public.

If Carl Fletcher were to come out and say, no disrespect but every team in this division are worse than us and I'm embarrassed that we have to play them! He'd be doing the team talk for every other manager.

Already it's been a coup for other teams to get results against us, I wouldn't want them to have an added incentive.

I don't buy completely into the big fish syndrome but we until recently had more pedigree than most in league 2.

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Mr. Brightside":2n8enc3h said:
Ade the green":2n8enc3h said:
Pointless thread.

Very slight!!! I think it is a tad more than that, after recent weeks showings!

As an opinion, I'd disagree.

Dec 2, 2010
:scarf: McGhee wasn't saying he was embarrassed to be at Hereford....he's saying he's embarrassed because people are looking him at as the manager of an under performing team. He could make a shed load more excuses than Argyle....but he hasn't.

I've heard Brent say we should be out of this league.....never heard Fletcher say that?

Like X Isle, I'd like to see a bit more passion....not the 'play the game not the occasion' (already said by Mr Grimsdale up the road this week in all his Wisdom!), and focussing on who we're going to stop! How about we're going there with all the squad wanting to play, we're going to cause them a few headaches, and we want the Green Army to make a wall of noise which we will climb to the top of and pull them to a crescendo! No okay.....let's keep it understated.

Anyway, full credit to McGhee if I was a Gas Head I'd feel a bit of pride and if I was a player I'd feel I've got to pull my socks up....not work them off.

Let's hope Fletch has the last laugh this time tomorrow :scarf:

Aug 17, 2011
Kings Tamerton
Pilgrim61":9trjdjrn said:
:scarf: McGhee wasn't saying he was embarrassed to be at Hereford....he's saying he's embarrassed because people are looking him at as the manager of an under performing team. He could make a shed load more excuses than Argyle....but he hasn't.

I've heard Brent say we should be out of this league.....never heard Fletcher say that?

Like X Isle, I'd like to see a bit more passion....not the 'play the game not the occasion' (already said by Mr Grimsdale up the road this week in all his Wisdom!), and focussing on who we're going to stop! How about we're going there with all the squad wanting to play, we're going to cause them a few headaches, and we want the Green Army to make a wall of noise which we will climb to the top of and pull them to a crescendo! No okay.....let's keep it understated.

Anyway, full credit to McGhee if I was a Gas Head I'd feel a bit of pride and if I was a player I'd feel I've got to pull my socks up....not work them off.

Let's hope Fletch has the last laugh this time tomorrow :scarf:

As long as he's preparing the team to the best of his abilities that's all we can ask.

I don't want Conor so pumped up he's only on the pitch for 5 minutes, same for Darren.

He doesn't need a rallying cry to the fans and would be derided on here if he did.

Also, McGhee did infer that he didn't want to be recognised when scouting at Hereford.