Which Championship club/model should we aspire to? | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Which Championship club/model should we aspire to?

Mark Smith

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
I don’t know enough about other Championship clubs, but there must be a few that have hauled themselves up on limited resources and slowly built a solid structure, as we intend to, without dangerous levels of debt.

Any role models?

And are there any chairmen/owners we think SH might usefully chat to? (I’m sure he does, but I’d like to hear views).

I think we all know the antithesis role-model chairmen and clubs, but the good ones are more below the radar.

Oct 10, 2018

This manager and clubs style could fit well at HP, see link and becoming available in June, after declining offer of a new contract, states " a new challenge needed after 6 years of progress".

Food thought?

Jan 1, 2013
The obvious choice - to me at least - is to look (relatively) close to home amongst the other Championship clubs: Bristol City. Next season will mark a decade spent in this league, almost always solidly mid-table, occasionally threatening the playoffs. In that time they've had peaks and troughs in spending: £8m for Han-Noah Massengo in 2019 was the biggest known outlay in that time, as far as I can see, but that was in a transfer window where they received over £40m in fees so it hardly seems like reckless spending. Some years they relied on free transfers and players costing six figures rather than seven. To me that seems the exact model we want to be emulating for the next few seasons. You could perhaps say that's not ambitious enough, but we all saw how Roy Gardner's five year plan went.

TaviGreen1990

✅ Evergreen
Nov 3, 2022
When people are suggesting clubs I think people fail to grasp how much of a disadvantage we are in. Millwall, Watford, Luton and Bristol City had big losses last year. Losses that with our current ownership model are will not allow us to have(and rightly so). This season staying is one of the greatest achievements in the history of the club with the constraints we have.

Reactions: Mark Smith

pafcprogs

🌟 Pasoti Laureate 🌟
Apr 3, 2008
Westerham Kent
I think Simon Hallett has made it pretty clear that existing model s for him are broken. And therefore none of the above would be his response. Indeed I recall him saying people telling him they have never done things the way we do counts as validation

So far he has got way more right than wrong

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
I’m only 26, I’ve been up to Kenilworth Road o_O and for most of my time on this earth they’ve been at a similar or lower level than us, aside from the last few years.

Fair enough, a quick Wiki does show they have a better history than us.
Fair point, they were non league for 5 years in your infancy then.

Jan 16, 2010
plymouth
i like the way brighton are run and i remember one of their young coaches was rumoured to have applied before the inexplicable appointment of mister foster.they play attractive,attacking football,use data analysis with regard to players,see the caicedo transfer fees for this bloke, and they are a community club.