What ‘unpopular opinion’ do you have? | Page 17 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What ‘unpopular opinion’ do you have?

Aug 5, 2016
Dan McCauley:
Whilst undoubtedly a spiky character, McCauley was a much more generous benefactor of the club than people give him credit for. He bankrolled several player splurges (big spending Shilton and Warnock).
I'd go so far as to say that, if he'd been part of the set-up at the time, then McCauley would have seen to it that Holloway got the funds he wanted for a real push for the Premier League
Not to forget it was Dan McCauley who secured the grant funding and organised the redevelopment of Home Park (and the beginning of the construction of the horseshoe).
It was also McCauley who appointed Paul Sturrock.

Mar 22, 2020
For what it’s worth I tend to agree. For me It hasn’t the immediate connection with Argyle that perhaps it should.

Despite having listened to it for decades the first thing I think of is American Marine marching bands and Majorettes.

That being said I’m not sure what I would suggest in its place
It reminds me of the Monty Python tune, with the big foot stamping down at the end.

Reactions: Tonka
Dec 30, 2011
I always thought John Delve was going to score a screamer into the top corner when he shaped to shoot from 30 yards. Yes, every time.

That's one for those with longer memories :)
He was great in the promotion year but seem to go to pieces later - loss of confidence I imagine

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
Never liked Shilton or his 'nearly men' team, vastly overrated on here imo. It also led us to be constantly called 'Peter Shilton's Plymouth Argyle'. Castle, McCall and Patterson were good, but the rest? Pah! (yes, including Dalton)

Jake Jervis. Not the least talented of Argyle players, but boy did he wind me up with his disappearance from games.

I see Semper has been mentioned. Whilst I don't like it much as a tune or, especially, it's association with the States, I can understand it's importance to so many of us.

I have never understood why we are called The Pilgrims, when we have so many more important (and local) people and/or events we could have chosen.

We should wear white at home (have I ever mentioned that? :cool:).

Reactions: Steve Evans
Dec 30, 2011
I agree with Pogles - Jimmy Hinch was my hero. I even signed his name as an alias when I had to get into some dive in Union Street with my mates on a Saturday night out in the 70s... :LOL:
He wasnt great but I longed for him to succeed. In a brief period before he left us he started running at defenders and handing them off rugby style - never led to a goal though! :)

Dec 30, 2011
John Sheridan deserves more credit & appreciation than he gets for the job he did here. If he’d have interacted with the fans/community a bit more he could even have been loved. He put us back on our feet.
True, but he's a miserable git who should never be forgiven for deliberately getting Friio sent off when playing for Oldham. :)

Dec 30, 2011
Not only unpopular, but also with the benefit of hindsight pretty much completely wrong, but I thought Bjarni Gudjonsson should have been a lynchpin in the team.

I still have a weirdly fond memories of him.
very weird o_O - he had his moments but was too lightweight unfortunately

Reactions: GSRB
Jan 12, 2011
Exiled in Cornwall
Although I was a season ticket holder at the time. I never did warm to Paul Sturrock. Yes I enjoyed the promotion and getting almost to the second promotion (he left so didn't get the 2nd). But I wasn't keen on his style of play(yes I know it was a winning style).

Dec 30, 2011
I thought that Paul 'Mr Plymouth Argyle' Wotton had the ball control of a Hippopotamus and an octagonal head which meant you never knew in which direction the ball would come off it. I also thought David Kemp was a better striker than St Thomas of Tynan
Kemp was more gifted but lazy - ironically when he became a manager, it was all about organisation and effort