What is our Number 1 problem ? | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What is our Number 1 problem ?

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
justanotherfan":uhk0jau5 said:
As Mr Adams is at the epicentre of all things football then it is hard to apportion blame/responsibility elsewhere, i.e. he got us promoted so if it happens then he will have got us relegated.
Can’t argue with that but if we stay up there is a lot of pressure on him to, somehow, get it right for the start of next season.

Apr 1, 2009
davie nine":q30683tb said:
justanotherfan":q30683tb said:
As Mr Adams is at the epicentre of all things football then it is hard to apportion blame/responsibility elsewhere, i.e. he got us promoted so if it happens then he will have got us relegated.
Can’t argue with that but if we stay up there is a lot of pressure on him to, somehow, get it right for the start of next season.

I think there will be a huge amount of pressure on him to get it right for the start of next season, perhaps even more so if we go down.

justanotherfan

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🍌 Bomber Harris.
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
davie nine":3pln7wqq said:
justanotherfan":3pln7wqq said:

We can only hope that at some point in time he will learn from the previous two campaigns, perhaps he needs an assistant like his father, who he would obviously listen to.

Tony Pastyman

♣️ Senior Greens
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 1, 2008
No one showing any passion and willingness that the the club and fans really mean something to them. :sigh: :sigh:

Lesley Somerville

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 1, 2011
Plymouth
Can I just add that, from what I've seen of the standard of Scottish football in general, being successful north of the border doesn't count for much. I think DA has been caught out by the much higher standard of the English game and is struggling to adapt. It shows in his lack of tactical ability and poor recruitment. He needs to learn fast - not sure he's shown himself able to do that so far.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
the_corkscrew":30doclh2 said:
On the field, the midfield.
Can't blame the strikers if they don't get service.
Defence constantly under attack will crack.
The midfield 4 need to win the ball, provide chances and chip in with goals.
Carey's form has fallen off a cliff.
Lameiras has started believing the hype.
Sarcevic often produces performances that a pro should be ashamed of.
Fox is off the pace.
Ness doesn't play more than 6 games in a row.
Songo'o gives everything but isn't going to get us promoted...

I think midfield is the problem too. No players that can drive a game or control it, also there are no goals coming from midfield, which puts way too much pressure in the front 3. We never seem to have a fully fit midfield either with either someone not fully fit (Sarcevic) or just coming back from injury (Ness)

Sep 6, 2006
Lesley Somerville":2sb1gfxm said:
Can I just add that, from what I've seen of the standard of Scottish football in general, being successful north of the border doesn't count for much. I think DA has been caught out by the much higher standard of the English game and is struggling to adapt. It shows in his lack of tactical ability and poor recruitment. He needs to learn fast - not sure he's shown himself able to do that so far.

Hes been here 4 years. If he hasnt learny by now...

Sep 7, 2006
This team has an identity crisis. We don't know if we're a 'soak it up, and hit them on the break' or a 'keep the possession, pass it around' team. As a result, we're neither. Some players suit one one format (Ladapo); some suit the other (Taylor). But we play those players the wrong way around. And sometimes try to play both...

Fundamentally, the suit trousers just aren't the same colour as the jacket. Some games we have got away with it, because the other team's fashion sense is worse. But eventually everyone has ended up seeing it. And that's where we are now...

Dreamgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
If we play Freddie up front we should know (by now) how to best involve him. Hitting hoof ball twenty feet in the air doesn't work. He has barely won a header all season with a defender on his back - and looks as though he never wants to compete for it anyway. You either deliver it to his feet and hope that he may sometimes control it, or to his chest at worst. Better still you play a sharp pass on the ground in the channels and let him chase it.
When Lavery played for us he was expert at playing those channel balls, but our midfield and defenders find it difficult.

Of course we have endured some kamikaze defending and most players have been guilty of gifting a goal away from reckless pass backs, lost possession in critical areas, lack of pace and ball watching.

But hey ho - this is Argyle. My dad left me a life sentence, that's my number one problem. :scarf:

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
Wow! Where to start? The main issue is a lack of confidence/bottle but we quite simply don't have an out ball, every ball played long to Freddie is just conceding possession to the opposition. Naturally Carey and Lameiras are looking to get on the front foot and feed from Freddie winning the ball but when he is beaten to the header all three are effectively out of the game leaving the remnants of midfield to scrap for the second ball which we invariably don't win putting us on the back foot again. Rinse repeat ad nauseum. Eventually the pressure tells on a back four lacking confidence and we concede. I think it's time to put Yann back in front of the back four to offer more protection and start with Ryan up front as the target man to link play and get Carey and Lameiras more involved offensively.

Voice of Reason

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
On field leadership.

When we go behind it becomes more noticeable. It's not always the captain that needs to provide this it can be anyone. We don't seem to have a player that is able to lead the others. In years gone by in games we needed something from the likes of Cocko, Wotts, Bradley, Castle, Marker, Morrison, Norris even would drag team mates with them be it through conversation or effort.

When we are in a battle there isn't anyone who seems to show a determination to take the game by the scruff of the neck .

Sadly in a downward spiral when you lack leaders it can take a long time to turn things around. We don't have that time.