What is our Number 1 problem ? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

What is our Number 1 problem ?

Mar 14, 2009
Choose any one of the following....

1.Tactics, and their lack of flexibility. No plan B

2. Canā€™t defend against teams with pace. Or teams that cross the ball. Basically teams that attack us.

3. Canā€™t score enough goals. We have midfielders who simply donā€™t understand the art of goal scoring.

4. Isolated forward from the rest of the team. Very hard to retain possession.

5. Playing your best player on the wing, (Carey) when two years before that he was sensational for Argyle as a no10. Unfortunately, playing on the wing makes him more one dimensional eg cutting in on his left foot from the right wing

6. Our manager talks twaddle when we lose. He never sees a mistake that he has made. Itā€™s always someone elseā€™s fault. For example, him now telling us that he doesnā€™t have enough time to coach these players to defend better. Perhaps he should have used the 9 months he had before this. Or the rubbish he stated about Taylor and Ladapo not being able to play together when they hardly even had a run in the team as a striking pair.

7. Our managers ability to over emphasis realism, which often turns into pessimism.

8. Defensive tactics when we are winning. Especially substitutions.

Aug 4, 2018
Biggs":qsyjzn5k said:
After four years at a club, I firmly believe ANY manager at any club will have become deeply unpopular across sections of the fan base unless heā€™s had extraordinary success like a Howe or Guardiola.

Every single manager will make poor signings, make unpopular decisions and make tactical selections deemed to be wrong. Can anyone think of any Argyle manager who hasnā€™t consistently done all of the above? Itā€™s part of being a manager in the almost impossible environment of football, where there just arenā€™t easy decisions.

So it is criminally simplistic to say itā€™s just Adams. The facts are that his winning percentage is very good, some of his signings have been spectacular and heā€™s delivered promotion. Along with his Ross County days, he objectively IS a decent manager and those calling him a clown or idiot have absolutely no idea how difficult being a football manager is.

That said, heā€™s doing SOMETHING badly wrong for us to be so, so, so awful for long periods when we know weā€™re capable of so much more.

Iā€™m stumped, but whatever the reasons for it and however bad the coaching and recruitment for them has been.... the goalkeeping and defence has been the number one problem.

You just cannot compete in a cutthroat ultra competitive league, with a thrown together defence with no understanding, pace or ability to withstand pressure.

When fans state Adams, I think they mean he's the 'main' problem, as per the OP - and not the whole problem.

I also think DA is 'one' of the 'main' problems, with his baffling tactics, poor PR and poor signings and seemingly inability to fire-up the players, motivate them, not just for the business end of the season, but from the off. As many allude to, our pre-season was once again woeful, followed by a mid-season pick-up, and the inevitable slide to oblivion in the last third of the season.

Combine DA's frailties along with poor player investment from our board and terrible pre-season planning - it all adds up the another frustrating, but oh-so-predictable season, again!

I think the fans, many who are loyal to the point where they turn up week after week, no matter what the results or league position, deserve so much better.

So, sadly, for me, I think it's time-up for DA - and his defensive coach.

Apr 20, 2011
Tetbury
I think this season has seen the convergence of several issues that have all manifested at the same time:
- Marmite Manager
- Rigid tactics
- Small(er) budget, resulting in risky signings

This season has seen some of the worst football of Derekā€™s tenure and, I think, the worst of his character too. Iā€™ve said before how I admire his commitment to the club, but beyond that I would currently struggle to extol any other virtues at the moment.

In the previous 3 seasons more signings have worked out than not. This season has seen that luck come to an end with too many players not reaching the level needed often enough.

With the work being done hopefully our budget will increase slightly over the next few years, provided we stave off relegation and attendances hold up.

In this context, I wish we would use our youth prospects more. Others have said it already, but it makes sense to me. We can reinvest the wages of 3/4 experienced pros into the cost of others and give more exposure to our young players and give them a chance. I seriously, seriously cannot understand having players like Wootton. I feel for Scott but thereā€™s no way someone like Jordan Bentley could have done any worse.

kernowluke

āœ… Evergreen
Jan 11, 2017
DAā€™s stubbornness is undoubtably a factor, as has the inconsistency of form among our key players this year. Defensive recruitment has been woeful, and in retrospect Iā€™d have kept mccormick for another season.

My overriding thought, if not DA, then who? With a low budget, poor squad and absent chairman there is unlikely to be a queue of great managers lining up outside HP in June...

Mar 18, 2006
For me itā€™s the misuse of the Budget.
We all accept we donā€™t have the biggest budget in the league, and until such time we get someone who is willing to throw money at the club this wonā€™t change .
New grandstand will help produce income
Going forward and the money spent here does not detract from the playing budget .
Letā€™s not forget, The vast majority of our signings this season were signed at the end of May / beginning of June , which tells me they were Players Adams wanted , they werenā€™t signed on deadline day as last minute panic buys .
Pre season was awful again , weak opposition ( doesnā€™t look like next pre season will be any different either).
Has mirrored last season in many ways , awful start, good between January / February then awful again for the remainder of the season.
In previous years we have moaned that the team gets rebuilt every season because we offered one year contracts , but as I see it we are stuck with players now who arenā€™t good enough but have 2 years contracts if all is to be believed . Catch 22.
Bottom line, tactics have been poor , team lacks bottle , dropping 23 points from winning positions , BUT the over riding factor is that a team of good players beats a team of poor ones 9 times out of 10. And that is why we are in big trouble now, too many poor players who are not good enough for L1.

We have 2 games to save ourselves ( not counting tomorrow as Barnsley will be far too good for us), and I hope as we all do that we can get the 3 points we probably need to survive .
What happens in the summer ? Christ knows .......

Oct 17, 2011
Plymouth
We don't score enough goals to win matches, chances a plenty but not nearly enough enough shooting/heading/ passing accuracy. But hey, nothing that 6 lge 1 players and a forward looking manager cant cure.

Apr 5, 2008
canā€™t win a match when infront and never come back when behind.

Thatā€™s the obvious problem.

Apr 4, 2015
For me it is mainly the budget because I think DA would do better if he had more money. Having said that he hasn't used what he has got at his disposal very well this season. I also think we miss Brewster badly and the backroom staff that are in place could be better.

Apr 9, 2011
philevs":2n94kr6l said:
Clearly, we're in the mire, and I think we all agree on this.
So what is our primary problem, the "Number 1 problem" that lies behind the situation we are now in ?
Adams signing a load of carp then not having a clue what to do with them. Oh & our season only lasts for about 2 months tops! :facepalm:

Apr 9, 2011
We have a fair bit to thank Brent for but his & the boards decision at the time to give Adams a 5 year contract with know way of getting rid if things went pear shaped was ludicrous. The problem starts with Adams & then filters down through the whole rotten set up at HP. We have a largely absent chairman with limited football nous i bet Adams can't believe his luck! We are in the carp

justanotherfan

šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
āœ… Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
šŸŽ« S.T. Donor šŸŽ«
šŸŒ Bomber Harris.
šŸš‘ Steve Hooper
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Mar 4, 2012
Plymouth
As Mr Adams is at the epicentre of all things football then it is hard to apportion blame/responsibility elsewhere, i.e. he got us promoted so if it happens then he will have got us relegated.