We Don't Know What We're Doing! | Page 4 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We Don't Know What We're Doing!

Dec 2, 2010
ejh":3k1qlnyx said:
Therefore you don't really know in what capacity other clubs brought in their Directors of Football, how they were initiated, etc.?

They haven't brought in DoF! They've brought in Good old fashioned managers....and the incumbents were told to accept it or not

But if you have to tell someone you're bringing in a DoF , I don't see what the problem is with the following.

" Carl, we've been thinking hard about how best to support you and, with your help, we're going to appoint a DoF. He will have complete responsibility for all footballing matters. You will retain first team selection and tactical responsibility within the overall framework he sets and you but will be accountable to him, because he will be an experienced manager who knows what he is on about. He will very much want you and others at the club to be involved in all aspects of his review and developing actions. How does that sound?"

Two possible responses: happy or not.

Unhappy >

"We'll, we're very sorry to hear that. I suggest you think about it for the next 48 hours. If you're still unhappy then we'll expect your resignation. If you don't resign then we will expect your 100% cooperation and support for the new arrangements."

Alternatively you could just say he's coming to do low level admin and pick up a nice pay packet.

One way this can be clarified quite easily is for Argyle to make a fuller statement about the post's responsibilities. Like any other post that's advertised. Perhaps you could speculate on why that is impossible?

Dec 2, 2010
tigertony":2pkm4s11 said:
I havn't seen the advert yet ??? I'll check the DirectGov website later.

P'raps they are still writing the TORs ??

Believe it's in the Fudgepackers Fortnightly!

Jul 6, 2011
X Isle":im8a6co7 said:
briangreen":im8a6co7 said:
X Isle":im8a6co7 said:
A football savvy input Brian? - yes we were calling for it and yes we thought we got it with Sextone.

With the DOF idea we at least identified a need for help even if a new direction was preferred.

By prescribing such a narrow, non tactical and backroom remit however it's fair to question that savvyness.

Get your point smiffy, but I think the remit ur referring to will be extended, maybe not publicly, but certainly within the confines of home park.

No personal offence intended Brian but you "thinking" something else might be happening doesn't override Colin Sextone publicly and specifically stating the DOF will have no input on team selection and tactics.

I appreciate there may exist some wriggle room between what is said and something effective bring achieved from all this. However that requires some faith and as we know from our previous discussions on the merits or otherwise of Carl Fletchers managerial wizardry -faith is something you still possess but that finally ran out with me a couple of weeks back.

We will know when he's chosen which scenario is playing out. If he's a significant individual with clout in the game then maybe I'll conceed there's a chance he can weild some influence and his remit may be wider than publicly stated. If he's a no mark, then we'll know he's a pantomime horse in the boards game of smoke and mirrors, the impression of change but actually no change.

Must admit I'm running out of Fletch-faith myself to a certain degree, but feel with an old head to consult he may yet succeed. Always felt this season was one of stabilising the ship and maybe moving forward next year. We'll see what happens, he may surprise us all

Dec 2, 2010
Interesting that a Brizzle City mate tells me that, to deal with under performing Derek McInnes, the word is that they are bringing in a DoF!

Of course this development post dates Mr Sexstone's time there, but where there is similarity is that they are on a bad a run as us at home and the owner has publicly backed the manager.....but he also tells me it was being mooted towards the end of last season when results tailed off and McInnes was under pressure.

So it does sound like it's a model that Mr Sexstone favours, but it still begs the question of what will the post do and what value will it add rather than just add to the paybill?

Below is an advert that was run anonymously for a professional club recently. It's not us, but I would be happy if this was the sort of role we were recruiting.

Director of Football

A fantastic opportunity has arisen as we seek to appoint a Director of Football to oversee the First Team, Scholars and Academy programme within our professional football club.

Salary: Negotiable

You will be responsible to the Board of Directors and will be required to devise and implement a technical football programme that contributes to the clubs ongoing development programme.

Your primary role will be to work alongside the first team head coach on a daily basis whilst enhancing programmes that support the development of players within the club.

It is essential that you have a UEFA A Licence, ideally working towards the UEFA pro licence, a sound understanding of football development, the ability to work as part of a team and also have good organisational and communication skills.

Duties
As our Director of Football you will be responsible for:

* Devising, implementing and delivering suitable training programmes in conjunction with the first team head coach, scholarship and academy coaches

* Assisting the first team head coach with team preparation throughout the week and in particular on match days

* Updating and safe keeping of players and training data

* Keeping of registers recording players attendance and participation at sessions

* Identification and recruitment of players for the club

Attendance at relevant coach education courses, seminars and conferences to ensure that you are familiar with current coaching practice.

Well, having just heard Carl's interview I think we can rest assured there'll be no first team involvement.....but it will be nice to have someone to bounce ideas off! Sounds like a mentor to me!!