We Don't Know What We're Doing! | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We Don't Know What We're Doing!

Dec 2, 2010
Seriously, whether you agree with CF staying on or the appointment of a DoF, the statements in the press today from Mr Sexstone just compound the view that we haven't got a clue!

Firstly, an appointment to the end of the season is now a permanent post. Okay, those two things are reconcilable, as the person appointed may, in effect, be on probation, but the post permanent...but it still smacks of a change.

Secondly, the person appointed will 'bring a wealth of experience to help the manager'.....BUT....'will have no influence on team selection or tactics'. I'm sorry, but if they can't 'influence' this, then what, exactly, is the point!? Okay, I can accept that they are not responsible, but they can't even influence!?

How the hell is 'dealing with budgets, contracts and the like' going to support Carl Fletcher's performance and skills as a coach? It's just going to give him more time, by not doing the 'admin'. Why do you need a Director of Football to do that?

Why would the likes of Gary Megson, Colin Lee, Glenn Roeder want to come and do a job where they can't even 'influence' the underperforming manager and first team?

Surely a DoF should be setting the long term football strategy at all levels, shaping the style of play, reviewing the training and fitness regimes, setting targets and expectations for the various teams etc and the first team manager should be delivering his part of that strategy? If a DoF was doing these things then they would be influencing team selection and tactics.....and that is exactly what is needed.

Maybe it's poor choice of words by Mr Sexstone, but more and more this just seems like a knee jerk reaction to try and appease the fans with the facade that everything is changing.....when in fact, nothing is changing.

Jul 29, 2010
I agree wholeheartedly, the fudge just got fudgier to the point that all I can see is fudge.

I finally lost patience and faith in Carl Fletcher a week or two back and for me, he has to go. However the board would've actually copped a less annoyed reaction from me had they just stubbornly refused to admit there was a problem.

By admitting there's a problem but coming up with such a hopelessly messed up response to it as to render the 'fix' woefully inadequate, it's actually worse than the previous stonewalled silence.

It's just not joined up, not coherent, not logical and not fit for the required purpose of improving the football team. The point to it all is unclear beyond, as you say, a smokescreen to suggest change when actually no change was ever intended.

Well if that was the intention, it's failed, we're not that gullible. Really unimpressed this morning.

Mar 23, 2008
Agree its all rather half arsed. I wonder if there has ever been a manager who has had two mentors / director if football in two seasons?! JB himself admitted the manager has achieved 2 if his 3 objections, bring in and play the younger lads and play a more attractive style of play, all promising for the longer term. What we need now is a shot in the arm to turn some vaguely promising play into points. If its still the same manager and the same coaches stirring the same pot then we will get the same end result.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
At this point of time we do NOT need a D o F !

We need a manager which is capable of turning this squad of players around and get us out of the RELEGATION dogfight.

Fletcher has been given plenty of time and proven beyond doubt he is not capable of this.
We are getting worse not better.

All this D o F stuff does not stack up. No doubt he will be involved in writing some 5 yr business plan showing us rise to the premier league and that looks very good on paper whilst the reality is we are slipping closer to the conference.

Its just like the Titanic at the moment with the Captain saying the ship won't sink and the band playing a happy tune whilst the inevitable is occurring around us.

We need our own "Harry Houdini" to get us out of this mess now

You could not write a better soap opera script because no one would believe the way our club is being run at the moment.

These idiots are going to take the club down I'm afraid to say.

Not only do we need a new manager shortly after that we are going to need a new chairman to progress :whistle:

Here is hoping I win the lottery this weekend :cool:

Jul 29, 2010
Thing is though Deacster *I* could achieve those first two goals. Just pick players from the youth team and get them to pass it round our half for 30 minutes a game.

That's never going to win football matches though, and neither will Argyle win football matches regularly again unless something tangible changes.........and all that's proposed is a different signature at the bottom of paperwork.

We are headed for hell in a handcart if this uber-fudge plays out the way it's being spoken of.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
I see this D o F b0ll0cks just muddying the water even more. They won't know whether they are coming or going, the lines of communication and responsibilities will be confused and this will transmit to the players

I think we are in for a really tough ride between now and the end of the season.

We got lucky last year by 1 point. This year I can see us going down now unless Fletcher is pushed out fairly quickly

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
X Isle":1bmmz1ut said:
I agree wholeheartedly, the fudge just got fudgier to the point that all I can see is fudge.

I finally lost patience and faith in Carl Fletcher a week or two back and for me, he has to go. However the board would've actually copped a less annoyed reaction from me had they just stubbornly refused to admit there was a problem.

By admitting there's a problem but coming up with such a hopelessly messed up response to it as to render the 'fix' woefully inadequate, it's actually worse than the previous stonewalled silence.

It's just not joined up, not coherent, not logical and not fit for the required purpose of improving the football team. The point to it all is unclear beyond, as you say, a smokescreen to suggest change when actually no change was ever intended.

Well if that was the intention, it's failed, we're not that gullible. Really unimpressed this morning.

This sums it up for me.

M

marin(er)

I actually believe that the 'DoF' will not come from the list on the relative thread. I don't think the man chosen will be anywhere like the calibre of people on there and infant will not even have any management experience. We will be filling the role with a cheaper version...

Mar 23, 2008
X Isle":1rjqy4a7 said:
Thing is though Deacster *I* could achieve those first two goals. Just pick players from the youth team and get them to pass it round our half for 30 minutes a game.

That's never going to win football matches though, and neither will Argyle win football matches regularly again unless something tangible changes.........and all that's proposed is a different signature at the bottom of paperwork.

We are headed for hell in a handcart if this uber-fudge plays out the way it's being spoken of.
I agree, only pointing out JBs comments from a few weeks ago. The main issue of course is that the main target the manager is failing at is winning matches which is fairly important.

G

Greenskin

marin(er)":3pna4xlh said:
I actually believe that the 'DoF' will not come from the list on the relative thread. I don't think the man chosen will be anywhere like the calibre of people on there and infant will not even have any management experience. We will be filling the role with a cheaper version...

:lol:

M

marin(er)

Greenskin":18igzdr7 said:
marin(er)":18igzdr7 said:

Funny? What the infant bit? Yes, typo.... In fact, not infant.

Dec 2, 2010
Applicant: What will my exact responsibilities be?
CS: Dealing with budgets, contracts and the like
Applicant: That's great....does the like include supporting the manager?
CF: if you can do that well, you will be supporting me very effectively
Applicant: Okay....I assume you'll want to call on my experience of getting my previous club from L2 to the Championship?
CF: Not really, I know what I'm doing thank you very much
CS: What Carl means is that of course we will.....we'll want you to tell us all about the contracts they were on and the budget you had
Applicant: Okay...but what about the football side of it? I have studied in depth what it takes for a team to get from this league to the Championship in terms of playing style, personnel, tactics, fitness and training. I also have files on every player in L1, L2 and the Blue Square and already have an idea of 4 players who will be available on free transfers who would strengthen and improve the squad.
CS: That's great....but can you tell me what the difference is between revenue and expenditure?
Applicant: I can, but would you like to hear about how I would develop the football strategy for the club and translate this into actions for teams at all levels from first team to youth, establishing a common style of play that will enable us to really bring on the youth as I did at my previous club?
CS: I'm not sure, what do you think Carl?
CF: No!
CS: That's really outside the scope of what we're looking for
Applicant: Okay...well, I must say I think you've been very unclear about what you want and, regrettably, I'm not really interested, so goodbye and good luck

CF: Blimey, he was absolutely hopeless, how did he get on the shortlist JB?
JB: Sorry Carl, I thought he had the experience....but that's why you're here to point us in the right direction
CS: Anyway, the next candidate looks much more promising.....I'll just fetch Mrs Fletcher in

Jul 29, 2010
That is genius fella :clap:

It would also be funny if it were not so close to what is rapidly becoming the god awful truth of the matter.

May 22, 2006
Pilgrim61":2pldf601 said:
I also have files on every player in L1, L2 and the Blue Square and already have an idea of 4 players who will be available on free transfers who would strengthen and improve the squad.
CS: That's great....but can you tell me what the difference is between revenue and expenditure?

Nov 11, 2006
:lol: :clap:

That about sums it up Pilgrim61

Wanted: Director of Fudge
Primarily menial admin work. Would suit ex football manager who's lost all ambition. Important sounding title for excessive pay.