We Are Staying UP | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

We Are Staying UP

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
David Friio's mate":22ug45l5 said:
Adams needs to be more positive with his game plans,and to stop signing all these players who he then doesn't want, players who are injured all the time, or players that are painfully average and only serve to inhibit the progress of our own young players.

Agree with your general post, but I imagine these players are ones he didn't actually want in the first place himself. We know we're regularly having to look at 5th/6th/7th/8th choice.

We're able to get them because they're injury prone or not proven League 1 players.

This all begs the question, why aren't we thinking outside the box more with our recruitment and not putting ourselves in the position where we're competing with other League 1 sides for the same players? Hopefully this will be addressed with the new Head of Recruitment, though.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
On Boxing Day we were bottom of the league and 3 points from safety, today with 4 games left we are 3 points above relegation. So in effect we've gained 6 points over other teams in 18 games.

If it wasn't for that amazing run in January and February we'll be close (closer?) to being relegated by now.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
Cobi Budge":1utqr0gq said:
I find it embarrassing that staying up is going to be seen as being some sort of big achievement.

Why? That's life. There will be good seasons and there will be not so good seasons. The important thing is supporting Argyle and I'll never be embarrassed about that.

We've had 3 decent seasons in a row and this one has been a bit rocky, but overall our club is steadily progressing.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
jespafc":1a8x60d5 said:
We've had 3 decent seasons in a row and this one has been a bit rocky, but overall our club is steadily progressing.

Far too sensible!

Yes, whatever happens this season, it will have been one of the most progressive years in our history with the holy grail of the new grandstand being 100x more important than any temporary league position.

Let's get through this with our League 1 status, and truly look forward to the future from next season.

Mar 7, 2006
On secondment in Kent
I think by fan expectation, "just staying up" isn't an achievement. In reality, based on the squad we have, I think it would be a fair outcome for the season. We have some very good players, and some very average players for this level.

IF we stay up, I think I'm right in saying this will be the first year since Adam's took over that we have regressed in terms of finishing position. Like him or loathe him, that isn't a bad statistic. Therefore I think we draw a line under this season, see what we can recruit in the summer and judge him on next year where he will have something to prove.

Dec 3, 2005
JannerinCardiff":27ylshci said:
We have to go into each game positively now, cut out individual errors and I think we can stay up. Then we can forget this season and learn from our mistakes and improve for next season.

Learn from our mistakes? Just like we learnt from the previous season?

ONE major lesson we need to learn is that the season STARTS in August - NOT January.

Been away for a week - geting used to the new format of PASOTI - looks better :)

Sep 6, 2006
GreenArmy1984":3hpwfaws said:
Evening Everyone

4 Games To Go

2 Away & 2 Home

Every chance of stay up

Let’s try and look on the positive side

A win could see us safe

Happy Easter to you all

COYGs :thumbup:

No eating of humble pie then...? As per your post at end of last season.

oddball

Pasoti Quiz Winner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Dec 30, 2004
Once again the Adams apologists are posting on here in spadefuls.....GA 1984. What exactly do you base your hopes on....if we carry on with our current form we are going down...what part of that can't you not understand....

Aug 5, 2016
Our last four games aren't against top 6 sides away. Three very winnable games. Our home form is decent. Lump on for a top half finish.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
Zoo Corner":vcd61j1h said:
For a large part of this season I couldn't fathom 4 teams actually finishing below us we were that poor. For example, thinking back to the Luton away game and seeing how poor our defence was left me with little hope.

I'm not quite sure how Derek has managed to put us in a positon where relegation is in our own hands. The majority of managers would not have been able to produce what he has with this squad.

Once the dust has settled this year, we need to start looking towards the board, they are the ones who assemble this team, will they give Derek a better chance next year? If he actually had a budget to work with he would walk this league.

Zoo
Part of the problem is that not only you are "not quite sure how Derek managed to put us in a position where relegation is in our own hands", I don't think he is. However, I think a big part of the recovery appears to have been Letheren's inclusion and he seems to be reluctant to admit that. .

Mar 27, 2013
BIDEFORD NORTH DEVON
oddball":3ku0y17q said:
Once again the Adams apologists are posting on here in spadefuls.....GA 1984. What exactly do you base your hopes on....if we carry on with our current form we are going down...what part of that can't you not understand....

Dear My Friend Alan .... we have 4 cup finals now try and remind positive young man

COYGs

demportdave

🍌 Bomber Harris.
Jul 6, 2005
Biggs":1z83i5kk said:
David Friio's mate":1z83i5kk said:
Adams needs to be more positive with his game plans,and to stop signing all these players who he then doesn't want, players who are injured all the time, or players that are painfully average and only serve to inhibit the progress of our own young players.

Agree with your general post, but I imagine these players are ones he didn't actually want in the first place himself. We know we're regularly having to look at 5th/6th/7th/8th choice.

We're able to get them because they're injury prone or not proven League 1 players.

This all begs the question, why aren't we thinking outside the box more with our recruitment and not putting ourselves in the position where we're competing with other League 1 sides for the same players? Hopefully this will be addressed with the new Head of Recruitment, though.
Another PASOTI myth invented to cover for the inadequacies of the Manager by the experts who also know the transfer budget of all 24 teams in League 1.

Are you actually saying that Adams is knowingly signing injury-prone players that he doesn’t actually want?

How do you know we are signing 5th/6th/7th/8th choice players? No Manager would ever make such a statement and expect to have the confidence of the players.

What we do know from the comments made by the Manager last summer is that he announced quite early in the pre-season that he was happy with the players he had signed, particularly as he had got them in early and they could participate in the full pre-season.

We also know that in the case of the 2 ex-Everton players, he had been scouting them for some time and had tried to sign them previously; hardly the 8th choice. As we now know, Dyson and Conor Grant have proved to be really astute signings who have made a big impact at HP.

We already have a Head of Recruitment, the man who is responsible for all football-related activity at the club. Everyone else reports to him. You can delegate by giving people jobs to do but when you are the main man, you cannot delegate responsibility.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
I’m not saying he doesn’t want them, but several of his signings will have been way down the list. We know we’re missing out on players all the time because of our budget exacerbated by the location, exacerbated even more by the poor facilities. That’s not excuses, that’s reality.

I’d agree that ‘something’ has to change though, because the last two starts have been unacceptable. I just don’t leap from that conclusion, to wanting to sack the manager.

May 1, 2011
jespafc":1bp4804o said:
Cobi Budge":1bp4804o said:
I find it embarrassing that staying up is going to be seen as being some sort of big achievement.

Why? That's life. There will be good seasons and there will be not so good seasons. The important thing is supporting Argyle and I'll never be embarrassed about that.

That statement that we are steadily progressing is up for debate. Should we be relegated then that point is no longer up for debate.
It's far from sensible to be blindly following Adams without question as some on here are doing.

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
"Lucky to have Adams", "Can't believe we're able to win anything with this team" :funny:

Have people gone stark raving mad? We're not fielding a bunch of numpties; 11 players who's best years are behind them or punching well above their weight in this division. They may be made to look like a bunch of numpties who can't defend or consistently create chances but that is only 1 man's doing, the man who calls every shot at this club, Derek Adams, the man we're so "lucky" to have...

You break this team down player by player and it is by no means relegation fodder, in fact the vast majority of it was knocking on the playoff door a year ago. Our best XI:

Keeper
Letheren - Not a star but certainly a solid choice in L1. If he got the game time he deserved we'd be safe by now without a shadow of a doubt in my mind. He organises his defence, makes some good saves and his distribution is quick albeit not always accurate, as I say a solid choice but not a world beating one. You don't need to be a world beater to survive in L1 though.

Defence
ASB/Oscar, Edwards, Canavan, Sawyer

Not sure which of these players is completely useless, could someone point one out as I'm struggling to find one. Full backs you have experience on one side and potential on the other. Sawyer has played at Championship level, ASB/Oscar are probably both destined to end up there. Centre backs aren't Vyner and Sonny but they're both decent L1 defenders in their own right. Given the right tactics and coaching they've all proven themselves capable at this level of higher.

Midfield
Fox, Sarce, Ness, Songo'o

Paceless maybe but not useless. We need counter attack-ability IMO but in the meantime you play to their strengths. There's nothing stopping this midfield being successful, in fact it was successful less than 12 months ago, the first three are all very good passers of the ball and position themselves well, they may not break on you quickly but they can move the ball to crack your defence open in other ways, namely through the two superstars in front of them. It needs pace and a prodigy for Fox but that doesn't make it relegation fodder.

Attacking mid
Carey, Ruben

Do I really need to argue that these two aren't relegation players? If Adams used them properly with a genuine attack plan I don't think it's beyond reason to think they'd scare a defence or two.

Forwards
Ladapo, Taylor

A goal scorer and a target man. A player who likes to run onto balls and a player who likes balls played in to them. A man who harries defenders and a man who scares the living hell out of when he runs at them. Two forwards who fit very different systems and fit different situations. A flexible manager, one who reacts to those situations rather than fitting square pegs in round holes could/would take advantage of that. Maybe even rotate them to confuse opponents...Not Derek.

Once again though what do I know, Adams is an "expert", who am I to question him? :think: