Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984 | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984

R

Rupert

Woods was where the Pistols played their 'secret' gig, right? Didn't go to that, but I saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions and The Police (as a support band) there. It's under the new shopping centre now, if I can recall its location properly.

T

Tyhee_Slim

Rupert":129wqi61 said:
Mark_Smith":129wqi61 said:
Tommy scored the penalty. It was rumoured that Newport were trying to re-sign him at that time, and a cup run would have helped them to finance the deal. Instead he stuck it away with aplomb, right in front of the County fans who had all run down to ape about behind the fence. Mind you, the whole of the Lyndhurst had run down to the BP end as well.

I want to believe that Clive Thomas was the referee that day, but I am probably thinking of his controversial display against Newport in the LC a few years previously.

Mr D Reeves was the ref. Not one I recall.

Kevin Hodges won the penalty with a tumble Tommy would have been proud of.

And the Newport player who conceded the penalty was a Torpoint buuy. Any guesses?

The semi-final? A nice day out, but we lost.

Best semi-final related chant (can't take the credit for this, it was little Tone) -"It's nice to gnaw your ear"

Can't be bothered to say anymore about this, other than I was at every game in the cup run except the Newport replay. For a full report see John Lloyd's 1st 'Argyle Memories' book :wink:

Sep 25, 2003
Carbis Bay
loyal1970":jerm5atg said:
it alway's annoyed me that we got through to the semi final of the f.a. cup and played bloody watford,even if we had played one of the other's southampton or everton it would not have been much better.probably me being greedy but would rather have lost to man utd or liverpool.

Why? Everton were one of the top clubs in England at the time...Southampton also came 2nd in Division 1 that season and were a regular top 6 side in the early 80s.

Just because they aren't so 'glamourous' these days you have to take into context who were considered a big draw at the time.

These days beating Albion doesn't sound a big deal but they were an established Division 1 side back then.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Rupert":3vzuiz5u said:
Woods was where the Pistols played their 'secret' gig, right? Didn't go to that, but I saw Elvis Costello and the Attractions and The Police (as a support band) there. It's under the new shopping centre now, if I can recall its location properly.

Yes it would be under the Drake Circus Mall I reckon.

Was near Burtons shop in the street that led to the old Charles Cross car park - was that part of Old Town Street back then?

J

Jim_Brock

The guy who gave away the penalty was Roy Carter. If my dim and distant memories are correct, at least one of his kids was at my primary school (Antony).
J

T

Tyhee_Slim

cheshiregreen":1iao719v said:
Rupert":1iao719v said:

Yes it would be under the Drake Circus Mall I reckon.

Was near Burtons shop in the street that led to the old Charles Cross car park - was that part of Old Town Street back then?

I think it was called Eastlake Walk.

Didn't go to the 'secret' gig, but I did go to both nights of the Anarchy tour at Woods in December '76 - The Pistols, The Clash and Johnny Thunders' Heartbreakers all for (I think) a quid.

The 'secret' one was in early summer in '77. It was all over by then really in a 'Hippy wigs in Woolworths' kind of way. Some pleb who'd got all 'punked up' especially for the occasion in a fancy dress stylee collared me on his way to the gig assuming that, as I was know for being pretty into punk, I was on my way to the gig as well. I told him I wasn't, and when he asked why I said "because you are". Felt like a pretty good smartarse answer at the time.

Mark Smith

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Eastlake Street wasn't it? I reckon if you stand at the back of that video games shop and then teleport up one level into the car park you would start to feel the vibes. Maybe.

Aug 10, 2006
Dalton Is God":1ddndgz7 said:
loyal1970":1ddndgz7 said:
it alway's annoyed me that we got through to the semi final of the f.a. cup and played bloody watford,even if we had played one of the other's southampton or everton it would not have been much better.probably me being greedy but would rather have lost to man utd or liverpool.

Why? Everton were one of the top clubs in England at the time...Southampton also came 2nd in Division 1 that season and were a regular top 6 side in the early 80s.

Just because they aren't so 'glamourous' these days you have to take into context who were considered a big draw at the time.

These days beating Albion doesn't sound a big deal but they were an established Division 1 side back then.
yes i know all about everton thank you, the point i was making was i would rather have lost in an f.a. cup semi final to a bigger club than puffy little watford.

T

Tyhee_Slim

Jim_Brock":yv24s5qo said:
The guy who gave away the penalty was Roy Carter. If my dim and distant memories are correct, at least one of his kids was at my primary school (Antony).
J

That's the fella. I think he's the pro, or assistant pro, at Whitsands Bay Golf Club now - if he hasn't retired. Nice to think he did his bit for Argo, even if the club did reject him when he was younger. I think he had trials, or maybe even an apprenticeship, when Tony Waiters was manager, and I think he played in the Dockyard Apprentices team that played at Wembley.

Blimey, this is turning into a right old nostalgiafest innit. Could do with a separate messageboard where we post our old Plymouth recollections. It could be called 'Jannerama' or something.

Dec 1, 2008
North London
Tyhee_Slim":4jrypxfa said:
Jim_Brock":4jrypxfa said:
J

That's the fella. I think he's the pro, or assistant pro, at Whitsands Bay Golf Club now - if he hasn't retired. Nice to think he did his bit for Argo, even if the club did reject him when he was younger. I think he had trials, or maybe even an apprenticeship, when Tony Waiters was manager, and I think he played in the Dockyard Apprentices team that played at Wembley.

Blimey, this is turning into a right old nostalgiafest innit. Could do with a separate messageboard where we post our old Plymouth recollections. It could be called 'Jannerama' or something.

I recall actually playing against Roy Carter in my Torpoint Athletic days, Roy played for Bodmin at the time (1989 i think) - both centre mid and he taught me a lesson or two - he had minimal pace but had ability to make so much time and space... and he had a firm of JCB diggers

G

Greenskin

Enfield Green":3t1zpw2s said:
Tyhee_Slim":3t1zpw2s said:
Jim_Brock":3t1zpw2s said:
J

I recall actually playing against Roy Carter in my Torpoint Athletic days, Roy played for Bodmin at the time (1989 i think) - both centre mid and he taught me a lesson or two - he had minimal pace but had ability to make so much time and space... and he had a firm of JCB diggers

He played a lot of games for Swindon,saw him score against Argyle up there once,a horrendous 3-0 beating in a boxing day game,as i recall.Some of the lads who were on the buses on the way back decided to turn over the shop at Gordano,we had to have a whip round to pay for the damage,police detained us for about 3 hours.Not a great day,really.

Mar 3, 2004
Cornwall
100_3055.jpg

Took this out of the Evening Mail and have kept it ever since. Now in my sporting archive to remind that we did actually reach an FA Cup Semi and I was there.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
Mark_Smith":2nzqjxfj said:
Eastlake Street wasn't it? I reckon if you stand at the back of that video games shop and then teleport up one level into the car park you would start to feel the vibes. Maybe.

good pub there - the unity - very trendy in the day ... man!! :)

before it was the Rooftop i believe it was the Park Ballroom (yes Ballroom!! that tells you how long ago it was!!) :shock:

Aug 16, 2005
Somerset
pogleswoody":2bsp2jq8 said:
Mark_Smith":2bsp2jq8 said:

before it was the Rooftop i believe it was the Park Ballroom (yes Ballroom!! that tells you how long ago it was!!) :shock:

All correct Pogleswoody. The Unity was where I had my first underage pint (of mild). Popular with Sutton boys but don't recall it being trendy in 75/76.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
BALDY-OG":3teppo4w said:
pogleswoody":3teppo4w said:
Mark_Smith":3teppo4w said:

All correct Pogleswoody. The Unity was where I had my first underage pint (of mild). Popular with Sutton boys but don't recall it being trendy in 75/76.

no i'm late 60s, my lady was at Plymouth Poly and i was doing A-levels, used to meet her in there with her Uni mates either there or Cuba which still goes on i believe?

Sutton? 1975? i was DHS 1969 so we aren't natural soulmates!! :wink: