Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984 | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Watford FA Cup Semi Final 1984

L

LeamingtonGreen

West Brom was excellent but it's still the Derby game for me that was something a bit extra special. It was a tense, floodlit game, with a bit of atmosphere around and I remember Derby fans taking it out on their seats at the end.

Mostly though, I just remember our whole end jumping as one, as Andy Rodgers corner sailed in. We went absolutely mad...like we had won the FA cup there and then. Brilliant night. Getting back to the train was a bit tense but what a great memory.

I felt really ill on the train all the way home, nothing to do with beer etc, I picked up some virus or something and it seemed to take ages to get home and I was shivering, felt sick etc. We all got off at North Road at some unearthly hour knowing we'd shared something very special...and we were right.

A

Arch Stanton

A fantastic day out and something that will always be ingrained as one of my favourite childhood memories.. I was only 11 years old and travelled up to Birmingham with my Dad and Uncle in an old Tally Ho coach. I remember thinking at the time how rough the place was, a fine example of a depressed urban industrial wasteland. Thatchers Britain at its best!

We were in the Whitton Lane End and the two halves of that magnificent Holte End were awash in the April sun with Green/White to the left Amber/Red to the right. I Spotted John Motson in the crows nest commentary position wearing his trademark Sheepskin accesorised with a pair of Shades!

The PA system was really loud at VP and these two songs that were played on the day always take me back to that sunny April day in 84.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pNamd-vE7po

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_8pOjUhE ... re=related
This was playing as we left VP in Tribute to the Watford chairman I was in tears.

I was there opposite the Holt end with my 11 year old son. We persuaded a policeman to allow him in with a wooden stool to stand on so he could see. The Holt end was a mass of yellow Watford fans and green Argyle fans. Simon Barnes in The Times described it as a sea of angelica and custard.

Sadly, the FA Cup no longer holds the magic or the kudos that it did in those days.

Mark Smith

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 15, 2003
Luxembourg and Horsham
Rupert":2dy06uw2 said:
French Green":2dy06uw2 said:
I prefer to remember the night of the Derby QF replay (probably because we won).

I saw all matches in that cup run apart from the two with Newport County (in the 3rd round).

The Derby night was tense, rather than totally enjoyable, as others have said. Although Argyle were in a lower division, we knew Argyle were better than an awful Derby team, and it would have been an injustice if Argyle had lost that tie. West Brom was more fun because, as someone else has said, it was more unexpected. There was no pressure.

I saw every game in that run except for the first-round replay at home to Southend. Believe it or not, Argyle were lucky to beat Barking in the second round - and to avoid defeat at home to Newport County in the third round. Argyle got a dodgy penalty in stoppage time, and then won the replay at Somerton Park. I enjoyed that night, having seen a few defeats there.

Tommy scored the penalty. It was rumoured that Newport were trying to re-sign him at that time, and a cup run would have helped them to finance the deal. Instead he stuck it away with aplomb, right in front of the County fans who had all run down to ape about behind the fence. Mind you, the whole of the Lyndhurst had run down to the BP end as well.

I want to believe that Clive Thomas was the referee that day, but I am probably thinking of his controversial display against Newport in the LC a few years previously.

L G

♣️ PACSA Member
✅ Evergreen
Feb 25, 2005
Lostwithiel, Capital of Cornwall.
Mark_Smith":uc1twjwh said:
Rupert":uc1twjwh said:
French Green":uc1twjwh said:
I prefer to remember the night of the Derby QF replay (probably because we won).

I saw all matches in that cup run apart from the two with Newport County (in the 3rd round).

The Derby night was tense, rather than totally enjoyable, as others have said. Although Argyle were in a lower division, we knew Argyle were better than an awful Derby team, and it would have been an injustice if Argyle had lost that tie. West Brom was more fun because, as someone else has said, it was more unexpected. There was no pressure.

I saw every game in that run except for the first-round replay at home to Southend. Believe it or not, Argyle were lucky to beat Barking in the second round - and to avoid defeat at home to Newport County in the third round. Argyle got a dodgy penalty in stoppage time, and then won the replay at Somerton Park. I enjoyed that night, having seen a few defeats there.

Tommy scored the penalty. It was rumoured that Newport were trying to re-sign him at that time, and a cup run would have helped them to finance the deal. Instead he stuck it away with aplomb, right in front of the County fans who had all run down to ape about behind the fence. Mind you, the whole of the Lyndhurst had run down to the BP end as well.

I want to believe that Clive Thomas was the referee that day, but I am probably thinking of his controversial display against Newport in the LC a few years previously.
We used to have to leave at 4.45 to make our train back to Lostwithiel, with the next one being another 3 hours later or something stupid.
We were hanging on and hanging on at that match as we were pressurising the Newport goal.
I decided as it was the FA cup i'd take the parents wrath at being home much much later and stayed to see the pen so cooly taken by Sir Tommy.
I seem to remember the time afterwards just flew by :)

R

Rupert

Mark_Smith":41knixlb said:

Mr D Reeves was the ref. Not one I recall.

Kevin Hodges won the penalty with a tumble Tommy would have been proud of.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
HomeTruths":fvsjc5mx said:
Babararacucudada":fvsjc5mx said:
Both WBA and Derby were better. Both were mad as beans. Villa Park was mad too but we lost and didn't score.

To this day I can't decide whether I enjoyed Derby or WBA the most.

Those are the days that make the years of misery worthwhile.

Villa Park was a mega-day though. No doubt about it. Perhaps a big part of our problematic mindset is that a defeat, no matter how undeserved, glorious and noble, is so fondly remembered?

WBA was the best - because it was so unexpected, because we played so brilliantly on the day and because it had been so long since we had had such a moment...over 10 years since we'd last won on a first division ground...

Derby was special too...especially for the celebrations at the end..Chris 'Spiderman' Harrison on the fence at the away end!..

Watford was a 'lovely day out' and Babs I think you are right, it's part of the Plymouth psyche that we expect only to get so far and we view a defeat in the FA Cup semi-final as disappointing but a wonderful day...I didn't cry buckets, I didn't rail against the injustice of it all (how could the linesman not have given a corner for Kevin Hodges shot), I was proud of the boys and enjoyed a nice coach ride home in time to get up to Monroe's for a beer and a boogie...

The day that we no longer have that psyche, will be the day we are finally a success....but I wonder if I'll miss it?

This thread is Pasoti at its best.

Hey Home Truths you will have to explain to some of the younger posters where/what Monroes was :lol:

Villa Park in '84 - travelled by coach, somehow I don't think we really really believed we could make it to the Final.

As others have said it was a fantastic day out - I was in the Holte end so good view for their goal as Barnes sprinted away from Gordon Nisbet and big George netting the winner.

As Rupert pointed out we only just pulled ourselves clear of relegation late on in that season, how bizarre it would have been to have a third tier team in the Cup semis and relegated to the fourth tier in the same season.

P

PlymptonPilgrim

Good God, what a day that was. 6 of us in a Cortina that gave up the ghost at South Brent on the way back, but we didn't mind the walk into Plymouth in the early hours.

Even though it was the wrong result, it was just a great day because we were in the semi finals of the Cup.

That was when I lost a bit of respect for Bobby Charlton, who said that if we got to the final it would have devalued the competition.

(I think it was him and I think it was then)

Aug 10, 2006
PlymptonPilgrim":2psgu7fz said:
Good God, what a day that was. 6 of us in a Cortina that gave up the ghost at South Brent on the way back, but we didn't mind the walk into Plymouth in the early hours.

Even though it was the wrong result, it was just a great day because we were in the semi finals of the Cup.

That was when I lost a bit of respect for Bobby Charlton, who said that if we got to the final it would have devalued the competition.

yes it was him (i won the 66 world cup all on my own bobby charlton)to..er

Aug 10, 2006
it alway's annoyed me that we got through to the semi final of the f.a. cup and played bloody watford,even if we had played one of the other's southampton or everton it would not have been much better.probably me being greedy but would rather have lost to man utd or liverpool.

Jun 5, 2010
loyal1970":3ct0pnem said:
PlymptonPilgrim":3ct0pnem said:

yes it was him (i won the 66 world cup all on my own bobby charlton)to..er

Yes he said that,and every time i see him on tv i think of it :)
Still makes me angry to this day.Watford may of been in div1 (premier)
but at villa park i felt like we were the bigger club.We certainly had more support there than them.

V

Viridus_Agmen_100

Best day ever...even though we lost...tears streaming from my eyes at the end.....not sad. Just very, very proud to be an Argyle fan.

Dec 1, 2008
North London
cheshiregreen":3uodls92 said:
HomeTruths":3uodls92 said:
Babararacucudada":3uodls92 said:
Both WBA and Derby were better. Both were mad as beans. Villa Park was mad too but we lost and didn't score.

Villa Park was a mega-day though. No doubt about it. Perhaps a big part of our problematic mindset is that a defeat, no matter how undeserved, glorious and noble, is so fondly remembered?

WBA was the best - because it was so unexpected, because we played so brilliantly on the day and because it had been so long since we had had such a moment...over 10 years since we'd last won on a first division ground...

Derby was special too...especially for the celebrations at the end..Chris 'Spiderman' Harrison on the fence at the away end!..

Watford was a 'lovely day out' and Babs I think you are right, it's part of the Plymouth psyche that we expect only to get so far and we view a defeat in the FA Cup semi-final as disappointing but a wonderful day...I didn't cry buckets, I didn't rail against the injustice of it all (how could the linesman not have given a corner for Kevin Hodges shot), I was proud of the boys and enjoyed a nice coach ride home in time to get up to Monroe's for a beer and a boogie...

The day that we no longer have that psyche, will be the day we are finally a success....but I wonder if I'll miss it?

Hey Home Truths you will have to explain to some of the younger posters where/what Monroes was :lol:

Villa Park in '84 - travelled by coach, somehow I don't think we really really believed we could make it to the Final.

As others have said it was a fantastic day out - I was in the Holte end so good view for their goal as Barnes sprinted away from Gordon Nisbet and big George netting the winner.

As Rupert pointed out we only just pulled ourselves clear of relegation late on in that season, how bizarre it would have been to have a third tier team in the Cup semis and relegated to the fourth tier in the same season.

ahh Monroes - had a few good nights in there!!!

H

HomeTruths

Enfield Green":1g8tvj8i said:
cheshiregreen":1g8tvj8i said:
HomeTruths":1g8tvj8i said:
Babararacucudada":1g8tvj8i said:

Sadly, I am even old enough to remember when Monroe's was called Woods! And I am too old to know what it's called now, or if it even exists... :(

B

bandwagon

HomeTruths":3ct01qv8 said:
Enfield Green":3ct01qv8 said:
cheshiregreen":3ct01qv8 said:
HomeTruths":3ct01qv8 said:
Babararacucudada":3ct01qv8 said:

Sadly, I am even old enough to remember when Monroe's was called Woods! And I am too old to know what it's called now, or if it even exists... :(

You're joking, Woods? - was Rooftop before and something else in the 60's, that I obviosly can't remember!! :) :) :) :) :) :) :)