VAR woes | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR woes

Nov 30, 2010
Brechin
VAR has ruined the premier league. Fans can’t celebrate a goal anymore and then they still get it wrong so many times. The rules are way too complicated and no one knows them.
VAR is a natural consequence *of* the Premier League, which is now, mostly, a league of franchise clubs whose main focus is their brand and overseas broadcast rights/merchandising. Which is, of course, exactly what is was planned to be in 88-89 when it was first conceived. It does not exist to give 'clarity' or 'better decisions': anyone with half a brain cell knew that that could not happen. Hence the endless interpretations and reinterpretations of handball - does anyone even know the law anymore? I certainly don't. VAR exists to give the media companies, mostly owned by one organisation, ever more control and leverage over the game, and to heighten controversy and keep the discussion of the technology - and thus the media coverage - high in the public discourse, driving advertising revenues and adding value. Which is why they will never, ever, ever scrap it.

Jan 6, 2004
The success of football I think is largely due to the number of goals that are scored which is common enough to happen a few times each game but rare enough to be a cause of huge celebration and joy (in most sports scoring is far too common for that). Diluting that moment of joy by everybody having to look up and wait for a VAR check is a huge mistake I think and far worse than the odd mistake being made (which ultimately even out). And that is even before you get to issues such as VAR making mistakes as well...

Jul 6, 2005
The technology is not going away.

Even if the Premier League were to abandon it, the TV companies would continue to use it and there would still be the endless debate and analysis of mistakes by the officials.

Football could learn from Rugby, where there is direct audio contact between the VAR official and the on-field Referee. If that was the case it would have prevented the farce that occured on Saturday.

Aug 3, 2008
Plymouth
What gets me is people saying the likes of "if that goal had been given we would have won or drawn". Sliding doors, no-one knows what would have happened because the game would have started again with any potential outcome.

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
100% agree with this article;

Some call VAR ‘technology’ to aggrandise it. Some say it is semi-automated, also to make it sound special, though how anything can be semi-automated is not explained adequately. But the truth is VAR is some blokes in a darkened room looking at televisions and increasingly sh***ing themselves.

Looked at dispassionately, it’s a system that has been introduced to iron out mistakes, which is making important game-changing mistakes. Well done everyone. Contrary to some opinions, the mistakes themselves don’t ruin football, but the promise that VAR is here to make football better or more fair does. It overpromises and massively underdelivers. As we knew it would. Well I knew it would anyway and I’m hardly the best slotted spoon in football’s rack of kitchen implements.

Reactions: SurreyJanner
Jan 6, 2004
The technology is not going away.

Even if the Premier League were to abandon it, the TV companies would continue to use it and there would still be the endless debate and analysis of mistakes by the officials.
so what? Debates about refereeing are part of football. Lets just say we want a free flowing sport and we live with the inevitable mistakes that arise as a result. VAR can have a place but only where a decision can be made after play has resumed - eg if a sending offence is missed.

Jul 29, 2010
Oh do one Jurgen (n)

You used to be a likeable, pragmatic and easy going guy. What happened to your personality that's slowly over time morphed you into a sour whinging old git?

If replaying games because decisions were wrong was a thing then virtually every game pre VAR would need replaying.

It was a **** up. If your strikers hadn't ****ed up multiple times you would've won, if Joel Matip hadn't ****ed up in the 95th minute you'd have had a point, if Jota and the other lad hadn't ****ed up their tackles you'd have had 11 players on the pitch all game and the result might've been different also.

Everyone ****s up, VAR just does it far less frequently than all players and managers do. Suck it up cupcake and get your own house in order first.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
The disallowed Scotland goal tonight is one of the worst decisions that I have ever seen in football. Rapidly starting to move from the “VAR needs to be used correctly” camp to the “get rid of it altogether” camp.

Reactions: SurreyJanner

smudja

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 29, 2005
Glenrothes
The disallowed Scotland goal tonight is one of the worst decisions that I have ever seen in football. Rapidly starting to move from the “VAR needs to be used correctly” camp to the “get rid of it altogether” camp.
Funniest decision ever... from an Englishman living in Scotland point of view

May 16, 2016
The dissallowed Scottish goal seemed to morph from an infringement none of the Spanish Players claimed to an Offside and interference with play during the game. No wonder the Scots are a bit peeved off with it.

I watched it on Spanish TV and heard the word "Silly" in amongst the generally indecipherable commentary.

VAR seems to muddy decision making and create more controversy than it was designed to eliminate. The Spanish player La Porte commited 2 Yellow card offences but only received a card in the latter stages of the game. VAR weren't watching at that point it seems.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I can't stand VAR and the sooner it is scrapped the better.
However, last night I think it was correct. The keeper was clearly impeded and it looked offside as well, so I don't understand all the fuss.
Scottish FA now writing to UEFA... what have you started Klopp?

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I can't stand VAR and the sooner it is scrapped the better.
However, last night I think it was correct. The keeper was clearly impeded and it looked offside as well, so I don't understand all the fuss.
Scottish FA now writing to UEFA... what have you started Klopp?

If it were disallowed for offside then you could just about justify the decision, but it wasn’t given for offside, it was given for a foul on the keeper, there was no foul, not a single Spanish player protested.