VAR woes | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

VAR woes

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I can’t stand Liverpool but it was an appalling error and Klopp has every right to be furious.

Daz

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
Pasoti Quiz Champions
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 30, 2003
VAR has ruined the premier league. Fans can’t celebrate a goal anymore and then they still get it wrong so many times. The rules are way too complicated and no one knows them.

jespafc

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2005
www.johnstanlake.com
VAR has ruined the premier league. Fans can’t celebrate a goal anymore and then they still get it wrong so many times. The rules are way too complicated and no one knows them.
Totally agree. Was the game really that controversial before VAR?! If anything, it kept pundits in a job because they had things to discuss! Now they simply flip open the big book of cliches and tell us what we could already see.

If it were up to me, VAR would be binned tomorrow apart from goal line technology which is very quick.

Jul 6, 2005
Whatever you think of Klopp and Liverpool, they were badly served yesterday.

With the Jones Red Card, the first thing the Referee saw when he went to the screen was a still shot at the end of the play, surely that is not right. For context, you had to see the whole play in motion, thus seeing that Jones clearly played the ball but then because he was stretching and unbalanced, his foot rolled across the ball on to the opponents ankle.

At this level, the Linesman really should be making the correct decision himself. Diaz was easily onside, just looking at the the cut lines on the pitch told you that.

But in the end, once again it came to the sheer incompetence of not one but two VAR officials, as is so often the case. Completely unacceptable after 3 years of VAR.

Reactions: Tavy Tony
It’s interesting that VAR works so well, and quickly, in American football, which is an arguably far more complicated game. Could it simply be the quality of the team running the VAR process that needs to be improved? Yesterday’s howler, if I were in charge, would cause me to sling them out and bring greater competence in.

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
My understanding here is that the VAR official didn't realise that it had been given offside, so when he saw it was offside, said check complete... I would imagine a directive will be going out saying A) pay attention and B) clearer communication, such as he's onside or goal/no goal....

Reactions: Lundan Cabbie

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
VAR wanted by managers, players and armchair supporters as human error at the highest level is limited to being acceptable by all except officials - VAR comes in and game is ruined by human errors .... scrap it and accept that decisions, correct or incorrect, should only be made by on-field officials

Jul 6, 2005
My understanding here is that the VAR official didn't realise that it had been given offside, so when he saw it was offside, said check complete... I would imagine a directive will be going out saying A) pay attention and B) clearer communication, such as he's onside or goal/no goal....
I think you are right in your understanding of what happened.

But when they saw that a defensive free-kick was being taken instead of a kick-off, why didn't one of the two VAR officials intervene?

Every other sport uses video replays to great effect, why is football making such hard work of it after all this time!

GreenThing

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 13, 2003
Plymouth
VAR is not the problem, it’s the imbeciles using it. It should be so simple, if it’s a tight decision, get the ref to watch a quick replay and decide if he’s missed something obvious. Job done.

Last edited:

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Agree 100%. I have lost a lot of interest in the Premier league in recent years and VAR has made me lose even more interest in it. All the spontaneity has been taken out of goal celebrations for fans and players and it is even worse for fans at the game because they don't even know what is being checked half the time.
There are still contentious decisions that the pundits can't agree on with VAR. There are still mistakes made by the VAR operatives. The sooner it is binned apart from goal line technology the better

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
Surely then when there wasn’t a goal given and a kick-off in the middle he may be been inclined, to say stop! 2 bad errors in this case. All too much secrecy, Rugby and Cricket are more transparent at least, not saying that they always get it right in those sports, but at least you hear a collaborative discussion between all the officials.

There‘s nothing wrong with VAR, it’s just very badly run in the PL. If you watched any of the women’s World Cup, way more open/transparent.