Underrated bands | Page 7 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Underrated bands

Forest of Dean Green

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 5, 2009
Gloucestershire
The mighty Chameleons have already got their dues on here. The ones below have critical acclaim but from far, far too few people. So they are some of the best that not enough people know about. There are loads more for sure.

Blue Nile (Hats is in my top 5)

Shack (Michael Head superb in all his guises)

The Chills (on tour in the U.K. soon. New Zealands’ finest)

Go Betweens (why weren’t they huge?)

Lilac Time (just listen to Astronauts)

Red House Painters (miserable git but really lovely)

American Music Club (ditto - try Jonny Mathis’ feet for starters)

Silver Jews ( If Suffering Jukebox doesn’t crack a smile, you are dead inside)

Matthew Sweet/The Thorns (many solo albums to choose from and his one off group had a boost from Ricky Gervais playing Among the Living in After Life)

The Cleaners from Venus (lo fi genius Martin Newell)

Husker Du (Warehouse Songs and Stories is the hardcore Beatles)

Kevin Tihista (try anything but if pushed, Modern Standard)

Last edited:
Reactions: DarkGreen

olive green

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 3, 2004
Liverpool
The mighty Chameleons have already got their dues on here. The ones below have critical acclaim but from far, far too few people. So they are some of the best that not enough people know about. There are loads more for sure.

Matthew Sweet/The Thorns (many solo albums to choose from and his one off group had a boost from Ricky Gervais playing Among the Living in After Life)

Agree on the Go Betweens. One of the few bands that split, and were better when they reformed.

Reactions: DarkGreen

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015

Some fantastic stuff there Forest especially The Go Betweens and Husker Du.
Ive been a 10000 Maniacs fan since In My Tribe. Saw them in '89 at Wolverhampton Civic Hall supported by The Indigo Girls. Great night.

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
OOIOO and Boredoms are a good starting point.

Vision Creation Newsun and SuperAr are good starting points for Boredoms.
Yoshimi from the Boredoms has a side project called OOIOO who are pretty awesome as well.

The BBC doc on Krautrock is here:

Good to see so many greens appreciating Rother :)
Just got round to watching the Krautrock documentary, thanks Butternubs!
Very interesting and a big part of my musical influence back in the day.
Loved Can and Neu particularly, never really got into Kraftwerk.
A lot of credit must go to Richard Branson, as mentioned in the doc, but also to John Peel, who championed a lot of this music on his 10 to midnight shows. I can remember listening to Hallogallo, for example, on my transistor radio under the bed covers!! Awesome.

Jan 2, 2010
I've a soft spot for a band called Disneyland after Dark.
Eurometal with a sense of humour.

Think my Eurometal fascination stayed with me. Nightwish, Helloween, Stradivarius...

Quirky tastes.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I've a soft spot for a band called Disneyland after Dark.
Eurometal with a sense of humour.

Think my Eurometal fascination stayed with me. Nightwish, Helloween, Stradivarius...

Quirky tastes.

Eurometal is a whole genre, check out Nanowar of Steel for metal with a sense of humour.

Others who are good - Kissin Dynamite, Reckless Love, HEAT and Crazy Lixx.
Within Temptation are similar to Nightwish.

Reactions: Shadowknight

Lousy Pint

Jam First
Sep 23, 2005
Milano
I don't know if you would class them as Eurometal, but check out the Italian band Elegy of Madness. The bassist is a personal friend, so I'd be interested to hear any of your unbiased opinions.

Aug 22, 2006
These are bands in the sort of Alternative Rock sphere:

Kerbdog (better than Nirvana)

Therapy? (Wow, still going and better than the likes of Biffy Clyro and Muse! Thier latest album Hard Cold Fire is very good.)

Senseless Things (Sensational band, with links to Muse, The Streets, The Libertines, Lily Allen, Gorillaz. - Way ahead of their time but sadly magazines like NME didn't like them, IDIOTS! Lead guitarist/Vocalist Mark Keds who co-wrote a few of The Libertines hits - a band that are well overrated - sadly passed away a few years back. Do I blame Pete Doherty? No. You need to take responsibility for your own actions. However he has a lot to answer for.

Filter (better than Nine Inch Nails)

The Wildhearts (just a fantastic band, catchy, riffy, rocky, punky, but every 5 years they split up, Shame.)

Stone Temple Pilots (I put them in because many people/journalists are lazy and label them into the grunge category. They only did one Grunge album, their debut Core, the rest of their catalogue is mixed, from psychedelic 70s rock, to garage rock, to folk and pop, to glam rock and metal. Superb band. The best of the 90's grunge era and I include the brilliant Soundgarden in that. (RIP Scott Weiland.)

Urge Overkill (superb band from Chicago, I met and helped them with their gear at the borderline, Tottenham court road 7-8 years ago. Great guys, sadly the venue has now been bulldozed down. Shame.)

Jellyfish (probably the best pop-rock band ever...)

Living Colour (one of the greatest bands of all time that cover various genres from Hard Rock to punk to Hip Hop to Alternative to Grunge to Industrial Metal to Blues to Funk Rock... I could go on.... basically miles better than the RHCP.)

Fishbone (a bit like Living colour, what a band but Red Hot Chili Peppers stole their glory, RHCP are a fairly decent band but well overrated.)

The Elegant Chasers (up and coming Alternative Rock band featuring an Argyle fan.... certainly more rocky than Woody and his band Bastille....)

Cave-In (Wow, a superb act. Quite a heavy band usually but they released the radio friendly album Antenna back in 2003. Miles better than any Foo Fighters album - ironically Grohl invited the band to open for them during this period. Sadly the bassist passed away in 2018 due to a freak car accident. Very sad.)

For some context here are overrated bands:
Foo Fighters - I have all of their albums, and followed them from day one, I'll be listening to the new one in the next few weeks, although if my band released that latest album cover we'd be ridiculed, When you've made it you can get away with anything, (see the red hot chilli peppers canteen album cover, absolutely dreadful.) The point i'm making is I do like the Foo's and i've seen them 4 or 5 times but they are a tad overrated.
Biffy Clyro - kerbdog lovers, they're ok but not brilliant imho.
Royal Blood - ok band but lacking depth and variation.
Muse - fairly good band don't get me wrong but well overrated. Funnily enough they feature an ex senseless things member Morgan Nicholls who is Muse's 4th member, He does a bit of everything live and funnily enough the bands best musician by a mile.

Adam

Pasoti Designer
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 5, 2010
The Horizons

Local band, will hit it big very soon I reckon.

If you like Artic Monkeys, Foo Fighters, Kasabian etc then you’ll like The Horizons.

Playing at Boardmasters in August too.