Thoughts on Sonny Bradley? | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Sonny Bradley?

John Cooper

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
Brickfields Donor
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Feb 20, 2011
Peverell
Did a good job for us, always remember him for his goal against dog pooh city. Can’t comment on why he left Argyle, but at the end of the day no one is bigger than the club.

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
I was sorry that he left but we move on.

Just hope that Freddie can do him for pace on Saturday and hope that he doesn’t do what Mackie and Nelson did to us a few weeks ago.

Pogleswoody

R.I.P
Jul 3, 2006
Location Location
davegreenarmy":kxhlati1 said:
The guy played exceptionally well for us and had direct influence over leaving the club in a better place than when he found it.

I've got absolutely zero issue with him, even if he did go for the money. A vast majority of people likely would've done what he did.

This!! :iagree:

I'd have kept him, very important player, very influential. I'd like Canavan and Sonny competing to be in our table topping XI tbh!! :scarf:

Apr 29, 2016
davie nine":2x6y04mf said:
I was sorry that he left but we move on.

Just hope that Freddie can do him for pace on Saturday and hope that he doesn’t do what Mackie and Nelson did to us a few weeks ago.

If you lump it in the air he’ll win everything. If Carey, Lameiras Freddie and Joel run at him he will be really exposed. Balls into the channels behind the full backs and get him turning will show why DA didn’t want to pay silly wages for someone who was a bit of a one trick pony.

Jan 8, 2018
Saltash
IJN":32l7wxkc said:
I honestly believe that Canavan will prove to be a better player.

Perhaps that was the thinking behind letting Sonny go.

Quite agree, Canavan has much more composure about him and dare I say, has not yet been turned inside out the way Lyle Taylor and Jack Marriott did to Bradley.

Tugboat

Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 24, 2007
Surely this topic has been discussed thoroughly enough already?

No need to regurgitate it all in another thread just because we play them soon.

Jan 4, 2005
NEWQUAY
Mike E":3ldg4um4 said:
He's a journeyman footballer eking out a living in lower league football, who can blame him for trying to get the best deal he can in the short period of time he has to do so.

I wish somebody would off me a chance to 'eke out a living' on something like £150,000 per annum for only 2 or 3 years!

Apr 30, 2011
If Bradley had got a serious injury and we signed a better replacement, most of us wouldn't have given a turd that he had left. In fact, when he went through a bad spell, I remember some of the characters on here totally writing him off.

Can't blame the bloke for leaving if he wasn't offered what he feels was a fair deal and it is hypocritical of some greens to criticise him for doing so. Glad we had him, did a decent job, he left for probably better money and we signed some other players that we can afford. Not much more to it than that in my eyes.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
Astonished if anyone has any animosity towards him – I’d expect him to get a similar reception to Jakey Jervis. I recall reading an interview in which he said he was offered a contract by us which he considered, then he rejected it at which point he and DA simply shook hands and wished each other the very best for the future. There were no bad feelings or arguments, no haggling, no trying to play one club off against the other (not that I’d particularly blame him for that either). If that is true, and we have no reason to think otherwise, then it sounds like everything was done very professionally – DA had worked out the budget and offered him the best deal he could and Bradley decided he could do better elsewhere.

Now if he’d messed us around by verbally promising, then haggling some more, then promising again, then making excuses for not signing whilst he was quietly buggering off to talk to other clubs then suddenly we hear out-of-the-blue he’s been signed by another club then we’d have every right to be miffed. We‘ve had that sort of behaviour before.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Jade Berrow 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Bradley was a leader and a big influence on the Argyle team.

Last season Bradley missed six league games, we lost four, drew one and won one thanks to an 85th minute penalty. The defence never kept a clean sheet in those six games and conceded 10 goals.

The six games he missed were in two batches of three, after his first return to the team we went unbeaten in the next five games, keeping two clean sheets and conceding just three goals.

Following his second return to the team after illness we won two of the next three games and drew the other one, keeping two clean sheets and conceding just one goal in those three games.

When Bradley was in the team we did well and were far more likely to keep a clean sheet, without him we struggled to keep a clean sheet and found it difficult to win games.

He's a big miss but as ever in football favourite players move on and new potential favourites arrive.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Quintrell_Green":3i2l2k1t said:
Mike E":3i2l2k1t said:
He's a journeyman footballer eking out a living in lower league football, who can blame him for trying to get the best deal he can in the short period of time he has to do so.

I wish somebody would off me a chance to 'eke out a living' on something like £150,000 per annum for only 2 or 3 years!

It isn’t that much when you consider a player only has a handful of years to make their money. If you’re 25 and trained in a career that pays you 20-30k and can reasonably expect to earn at least that for the rest of your working life, it’s completely different to earning 100k+ for 5-6 years. And that income can end very suddenly if you get injured or fall out of favour.

The chances of them getting a job that pays remotely the same sort of cash after the age of 34 is almost zero.

Oct 20, 2015
I was sad to see him go, I remember his performance at Anfield (and the replay at Home Park) with fondness.

From a 'bigger picture' point of view I was really worried once we lost both him and Threlkeld in the summer. Yes, centre backs and RB/LB are easier to get than a Carey or a Ladapo, but to lose two consistently solid performers in our back line was distressing in the extreme. That defensive togetherness/team understanding/communication is something you can't buy.

I don't hold it against either player - as has already been mentioned, they are trying to maximise their income in the short window available to pro footballers.

I think if you asked Derek he'd probably admit with hindsight that he wishes he'd spent more to keep Bradley OR Threlkeld at the club.

Sep 6, 2006
Kevb77":xg7aropi said:
IJN":xg7aropi said:
I honestly believe that Canavan will prove to be a better player.

Perhaps that was the thinking behind letting Sonny go.

Quite agree, Canavan has much more composure about him and dare I say, has not yet been turned inside out the way Lyle Taylor and Jack Marriott did to Bradley.

Canavan is not dominant in the air though and neither is the rest of our defence. I don't think Moore has ever won a headerd for example. So it's a serious achilles heel.

Larry David

✅ Evergreen
Apr 9, 2004
LA NY or Cuckfield
I think he is a big miss offensively at set pieces. But I lost count of the number of times he lost his man in the penalty area defensively, I think Canavan is a better defensive centre half.