Thoughts on Ian Foster | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Thoughts on Ian Foster

BSH

Jul 7, 2013
As stupid as this sounds I think Foster needs to work on his touchline manner to a degree. I appreciate that the messages being relayed from coach to players are what are important. However, the optics of hands in the pockets the whole game, don't promote the best image of somebody being proactive when we are playing as badly as we were yesterday.

I know you don't need the manager to be barking instructions every minute, or gesticulating wildly but I think on some level it gives confidence that they know what they're doing. Rather than being stood placid, hands in pockets like you're watching the ducks eating bread at the local pond.

It's unfair to judge somebody on how they look on the touchline but the reality is that is does impact fan's view to some level, and probably increases the scrutiny to a degree. This stuff really does matter, mention Steve McClaren's name now and your first though is probably him motionless under that umbrella in the Wembley rain back in '07.

Reactions: Bovey Green lady

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
I wasn’t sure about the Foster appointment and I’m still not but anybody digging him out for yesterday’s performance needs to get a grip. He’s had a week, that’s maybe 3 sessions on the grass and one in the classroom. It takes time to implement and embed new ideas, as well as to embed new players. I think we’ll have a far better idea of how Foster wants us to play after the window and going into the first couple of weeks of February.

Sep 3, 2011
Almost Impossible to judge anything from yesterday. Poor game of Football, neither side deserved to win. Both played out from back, which in my opinion Argyle need to ration drastically. Point gained nonetheless. I'm sure some on here would be more happy if Argyle played free flowing football, dominated the game but still lost.

ELG

Sep 14, 2021
As stupid as this sounds I think Foster needs to work on his touchline manner to a degree. I appreciate that the messages being relayed from coach to players are what are important. However, the optics of hands in the pockets the whole game, don't promote the best image of somebody being proactive when we are playing as badly as we were yesterday.

I know you don't need the manager to be barking instructions every minute, or gesticulating wildly but I think on some level it gives confidence that they know what they're doing. Rather than being stood placid, hands in pockets like you're watching the ducks eating bread at the local pond.

It's unfair to judge somebody on how they look on the touchline but the reality is that is does impact fan's view to some level, and probably increases the scrutiny to a degree. This stuff really does matter, mention Steve McClaren's name now and your first though is probably him motionless under that umbrella in the Wembley rain back in '07.
'As stupid as this sounds' yes.
'It's unfair to judge somebody on how they look on the touchinline' you just have.

I actually thought he was running up and down the touchline and kicking every ball with the team when I looked across.

Reactions: Keepitgreen

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
Chopper Boy started his Championship away era with a gritty draw at Watford and Foster has done the same at Huddersfield except Schumacher had all summer to implement a style of play and integrate new players while Foster has had a week.

We may not see the best of a Foster team until next season, especially when he has not only his players at the club but also his coaching staff.

It's so difficult to come into a new club in a January transfer window with a transition of players in and out of a club and impose a style of play at the same time.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Chopper Boy started his Championship away era with a gritty draw at Watford and Foster has done the same at Huddersfield except Schumacher had all summer to implement a style of play and integrate new players while Foster has had a week.

We may not see the best of a Foster team until next season, especially when he has not only his players at the club but also his coaching staff.

It's so difficult to come into a new club in a January transfer window with a transition of players in and out of a club and impose a style of play at the same time.
Completely agree Posty.

Oct 31, 2015
IF gets my support and respect. He can see whats wrong and will want to put his own stamp on the way we play. Lets not forget Shuey took us to the next step that he and RL started. IF will be on a different staircase.

One plea though and the last 2 x games have me worried. I dont want us playing the same style as the National team. You might hear me saying I would rather have DA back 🤣(I can't honestly see me saying that tbh)

Reactions: Jannerz

Bovey Green lady

✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 29, 2019

Yep! Who can forget the "Wally with a brolly" tag!

Reactions: Lancastergreen
Jul 24, 2009
It's a bit of a curse of modern life that everyone expects instant results, in years gone by managers got full seasons to transition to their plans, now its not even full weeks it seems! I am on the fence re Foster's appointment I hear he's a top tier coach when it comes to player development which is great but we are employing him as a Manager/Head Coach (yes there are slight differences in scope of remit but largely the same i.e. the boss, gaffer, motivator etc) and that is not quite the same thing. But I welcome him now he's here and he will need time to implement his ideas and improvements, and only then can we fairly judge. I would certainly put yesterday down to losing Azaz and Cundle and as has been mentioned we've been bad before e.g. Coventry and lost.

Feb 8, 2005
To repeat what I said on another post. Not sure how Foster could say he was delighted with our performance yesterday.
Fozzie is putting into the team the way that he wants them to play, with and without the ball. The press, when to and when not to, he is trying to make them more aggressive when they don 't have the ball, but press as a team not as individuals.

This is what he is praising, not the overall performance of the team.

Reactions: Green guile
Feb 8, 2005

Some people have a go at anything.

It's a football match, the players are more important than the manager.