The mighty Grecians at Wembley. | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The mighty Grecians at Wembley.

Nov 30, 2010
Plympton
Green_Matt":2gjl3ril said:
It would hardly make it less interesting. I really don't mind - if they go up we get a derby, if they don't I might allow myself a smile.
Agree. Nice to have a derby game but not fussed either way. Would have a big smile if they lost at Wembley though

derbygreen

✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 23, 2003
Paignton....was Derby
Knibbsworth":29c847s3 said:
derbygreen":29c847s3 said:
Would prefer them in our league better to promote Devon.
Do you work for the tourism board or something? I've heard this argument a few times before and have no idea why Exeter doing well is of any benefit to Plymouth Argyle whatsoever. We get one bumper crowd, one short trip and two banana skins to avoid treading on. It's hardly promoting Plymouth to the world is it?

I believe it is better for Devon to have their respected clubs playing at their highest level possible. I can't see any negative whatsoever. Devon clubs can attract better quality players into the area also.

Feb 15, 2005
It would help our finances to have a bumper crowd at HP for the Derby but I won’t be cheering them on.

D

Diddyman 1983

derbygreen":3c73wzql said:
Knibbsworth":3c73wzql said:
derbygreen":3c73wzql said:
Would prefer them in our league better to promote Devon.
Do you work for the tourism board or something? I've heard this argument a few times before and have no idea why Exeter doing well is of any benefit to Plymouth Argyle whatsoever. We get one bumper crowd, one short trip and two banana skins to avoid treading on. It's hardly promoting Plymouth to the world is it?

I believe it is better for Devon to have their respected clubs playing at their highest level possible. I can't see any negative whatsoever. Devon clubs can attract better quality players into the area also.

Am with you on this one derbygreen. I'm all for rivalry and love the hype and atmosphere at a local derby and the nervousness it makes me feel (although it hurts that much more if we lose) but I can't dislike a team because their bit of land is next to our bit of land. Doesn't seem to be a popular view on here though! I for one hope Exeter get promoted but that we are able to take 6 points off them next season.

Mark Pedlar

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jul 28, 2010
I didn't realise Exeter had a football team.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":lr1qfw7t said:
If you're hoping Exeter get promoted to have a derby, can it really be considered as a derby?

I'm hoping they don't go up but I would consider it a derby:

.....a sporting fixture between two teams from the same town, city or region, particularly in association football.

Surely the same county can be classed as the same region. :)

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
No – definitely not. Would find it hilarious for them to fail again in the play-offs. Quite comfortable looking down on them & mocking them – quite uncomfortable to have to play them in the League. I don’t get this “easy six points for us” stuff – any game can be lost and it is utterly nauseating to have to face them if we do ....... and we have......and unlike some of you I live among ‘em and believe me they all crawl out of the woodwork when that happens. No - let'em fester - I can live without the stress of a derby.

Jan 6, 2004
I don't want Exeter to be promoted - I don't particularly enjoy the experience of going to SJP, prefer a more laid back experience to police helicopters dogs and horses everywhere. I also associate playing Exeter (although we have generally done well against them) with the bad times. I think it may be an age thing, people over a certain age see Exeter more as a little country cousin than a serious derby rival.

Mork

🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺🇦🇺
Oct 18, 2013
Forster NSW
Hope they fail in the playoffs, get relegated to the conference the following season. They can’t even fill the away end when we play them, the games against the Bristol’s & Pompey are much bigger & crucial to win.

Jan 27, 2012
I'd be happy for Exeter to get promoted as its much better for Argyle- a guaranteed big home gate.

Its also adds some more spice to the League One season.

Exeter are obviously capable of finishing above Argyle in any given season, but historically they have spent far more time below Argyle than above (usually playing one or two tiers below). They are a much smaller club in most respects- certainly a smaller fan base. So I don't really see them as a proper rival.

Good luck to them- as long as Exeter always finish below Argyle in the football pyramid, I don't really mind if they get promotion to the Championship next year !

C

Cult Of Personality

Nah screw them. Only few years ago they sang we will meet again. I hope we never meet them again as we in higher leagues playing better football

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Head says, yes let's have the derby's and less travelling etc. My heart says no, fudge em.

Cobi Budge

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Apr 8, 2011
Plymouth
Either they'll lose again in the play offs and it'll be funny, or they'll come up and we'll get an additional local game, win win.