the Manager!......GET OFF HIS BACK | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

the Manager!......GET OFF HIS BACK

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Womble, Green eyed Monster, agree with both of you.

OP, what are you on? fletcher has had a couple of results go his way. Hopefully he will be less clueless now and learn from them. We are still 18th in this rubbish league, nothing to get excited about.

If you would care to refund my £400 for my season ticket, I will promise not to complain about the 'entertainment' I have paid for. I also promise not to attend HP again this season. Until you do refund my money, I will voice my opinion the same as anyone else who has paid to watch this dross.

On the other hand, are you the bloke with the Sports Direct super, unfeasably, see then from space, white trainers that tries to conduct the Lasagne Verde? Spend your money to watch football and then spend the entire match waving at the Devonport? You do know you could be a steward and do that without having to pay an entrance fee don't you?

Nov 28, 2005
PLYMOUTH
I think Fletcher has been a disaster as Captain and Manager so far, but I want him to be successful, as be default that means the team will be.

I must admit I cringe when the kids sing "One Carl Fletcher" and "Chadwick for England"????

I was quick to praise Fletcher following the recent successes, but until he can manage a successful run of a handful of games, and make our home performances more convincing, I will continue to doubt his coaching ability.

Apr 4, 2004
I agree with the OP. I think everyone needs to just be patient and get off the managers case a little. We are are work in progress and a little bit of support from the fans wouldn't hurt. Some of the stuff people write about the manager is out of order.

I want Fletcher to succeed more than any manager I can remember because he is looking to play a style of football that we have never been good at. Or at least not for a very long time. Fletcher could have started out this season by setting us up like he did at the end of last but with some more effective big bruisers in the team if he wanted to. Had he done that no doubt we would be further up the table and it would be seen as progress. But he has decided to go back to the drawing board and build a team that can really play. It has landed a whole heap of pressure on him as it was never going to all just slot into place over night. That's a brave move and I really hope the board hold their nerve instead of listening to the folks that are shouting the loudest. I say let Fletch do his job.

Aug 22, 2006
I think the opening post lends itself to the fletcher haters coming out and defending their stance and their opinion that basically we should be doing a lot better. So these guys come out the better because of the tone of the Opening post.

In actual fact people like Cerbera and Womble can't wait to tell us all "I told you so" when we fail to win a game or when we eventually finish the season 12th (which won't be a failure btw -a season after admin.) Womble for example doesn't like internet trolls yet you will happily slag off Argyle without any constructive argument to your point. If you can't see that with our injured players coming back, and with some of the new signings settled, that we've improved from Aldershot opening day (since then we've had 2 bad performances) then we may as well give up.
Can you see what Fletch is trying to do with the squad? How we are trying to play? How we are trying to improve? If you can state 5 things that Fletch should be doing or has done completely wrong then great i'd love to hear them.

I sometimes wonder if there's a pattern emerging between home and away records/and performances. We've been very good away from home, bar the dagenham game and first half Oxford. We've had setbacks like being behind at Morecombe, being under the cosh as Dagenham and leaking against Barnet yet we've stayed strong, focused and got the results. At home we seem to have a breakdown... I wonder if that's down to the fans...
The argument about booing players because you've paid your money to see the game is probably the biggest heap of bu*lshit ever. There hasn't ever been an example of players being booed (especially the youngsters) and then having a positive effect. IF anything the only thing the crowd can do in a game to influence it is support the team. So if we're doing badly a bit of geeing up is required because 99% of the time if you boo your own players they will lose morale and if you're one of our youngsters then they're going to be prone to errors. So actually by booing your own players the away team have that slight advantage.
When posters were contructive after the Wimbledon loss that was fine, and Fletch will make mistakes of course, but I don't understand why you can't give the bloke time? What's the rush? And if you want him out then what's your suggestion for a new manager?

G

Gullscorer

Yep, support your club and it's manager. In my opinion you should be aiming for at least the play-offs (to aim lower would be self-defeating). You will certainly finish mid-table or above, and in achieving that, given all the circumstances and recent club history, you will have had a successful season. But I would love for all three Devon clubs to be promoted; then we can both thrash Excretia City again next season...!! :thumbup:

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
I don't want to say 'I told you so'. I want what was promised by our Chairman.

I want a manager that is capable of adapting his game as the game develops. Fletcher didn't do that against Bristol Rovers (failing number one, if you like). We should have won that game. Failing number two would be the first half against Oxford, if we had played the second half first, the likelihood is we would have won that game. Failings three and four would be the games against Wycombe (albeit, a good game of football, but we should have and could have won it) and AFC Wimbledon where we were absolutely dire. I acknowledge we won against Morecambe, but that was mostly due to their defensive clumsiness giving away two penalties rather than our outstanding ball play. Failing number five, for want of a better one, was signing that block of stone Chadwick.

I understand that we are a club just out of administration, but we have arguably one of the biggest playing budgets in the basement league and all we can attract is non-league players and short term loans. Admittedly, so far, they are doing a job, but the manager is not capable of managing at this level. The first thing we should be concentrating on, is winning. even if that is winning ugly. The foremost goal (sorry for the pun) for this season has to be promotion. We do not have the manager capable of getting us promoted. He should be plying his managerial trade in the Blue Square South, not L2. This is an ugly league and the fact that Exeter are where they are demonstrates that, anyone can beat anyone and we should be.

To address your point that he could have started this season as he finished the last, then I think we would be in a better points position than we are now. Our points haul so far is at least six short in my eyes. Give the bloke time by all means, but in doing that you have to see an improvement. I see nothing so far - since he took control - to indicate that he has learnt anything about how to manage a team on the pitch. I am also concerned that the injuries are taking too long to recover. Fitness levels need improving (says the fat bloke behind his keyboard) and set pieces need working on, especially from a defensive point of view.

Sorry if you find the booing offensive, but most of it is aimed at the arrogant bloke in the dugout, not the players. Remember, if you as a player were earning £1000 a week (for example) you would have to expect a bit of abuse if the people who ultimately pay your wages didn't feel they were getting value for money. However, saying that, if there were 3000 fans standing behind the home dugout, Fletcher would be in no doubt who they were booing.

G

Green Monk

Cerbera":3fhutqwg said:

I want a manager that is capable of adapting his game as the game develops. Fletcher didn't do that against Bristol Rovers (failing number one, if you like). We should have won that game. Failing number two would be the first half against Oxford, if we had played the second half first, the likelihood is we would have won that game. Failings three and four would be the games against Wycombe (albeit, a good game of football, but we should have and could have won it) and AFC Wimbledon where we were absolutely dire. I acknowledge we won against Morecambe, but that was mostly due to their defensive clumsiness giving away two penalties rather than our outstanding ball play. Failing number five, for want of a better one, was signing that block of stone Chadwick.

I understand that we are a club just out of administration, but we have arguably one of the biggest playing budgets in the basement league and all we can attract is non-league players and short term loans. Admittedly, so far, they are doing a job, but the manager is not capable of managing at this level. The first thing we should be concentrating on, is winning. even if that is winning ugly. The foremost goal (sorry for the pun) for this season has to be promotion. We do not have the manager capable of getting us promoted. He should be plying his managerial trade in the Blue Square South, not L2. This is an ugly league and the fact that Exeter are where they are demonstrates that, anyone can beat anyone and we should be.

To address your point that he could have started this season as he finished the last, then I think we would be in a better points position than we are now. Our points haul so far is at least six short in my eyes. Give the bloke time by all means, but in doing that you have to see an improvement. I see nothing so far - since he took control - to indicate that he has learnt anything about how to manage a team on the pitch. I am also concerned that the injuries are taking too long to recover. Fitness levels need improving (says the fat bloke behind his keyboard) and set pieces need working on, especially from a defensive point of view.

Sorry if you find the booing offensive, but most of it is aimed at the arrogant bloke in the dugout, not the players. Remember, if you as a player were earning £1000 a week (for example) you would have to expect a bit of abuse if the people who ultimately pay your wages didn't feel they were getting value for money. However, saying that, if there were 3000 fans standing behind the home dugout, Fletcher would be in no doubt who they were booing.

What a strange post, you sound like a spoilt and petulant child. We just won 4-1 away!
It's all about the money. :yawn:

Mar 2, 2008
Cerbera":1m2g7ryy said:

Are you for real?

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Maybe I didn't articulate myself very well. I am trying to do my job at the same time!

I'll put it another way:

I don't rate Carl Fletcher as a manager. I have seen nothing yet that will convince me that we won't be in yet another relegation dogfight this season. However, like any fan of Argyle, I will be absolutely delighted to be proved wrong.

Aug 19, 2009
The indications are now better than a few weeks back.

Our next 3 games will provide a better indication though of how things are progressing as we will be playing teams in the top half of the table and not teams towards the bottom as in recent weeks.

If we can obtain 6 or 7 points from those 3 games against Rochdale, Cheltenham and Rotherham then the signs are good that Mr. Fletcher is the man for the job and things are moving in the right direction with the way that we play and who is playing.

Jun 23, 2011
Plymouth
MAZZA26":2o5klaz5 said:
I think the opening post lends itself to the fletcher haters coming out and defending their stance and their opinion that basically we should be doing a lot better. So these guys come out the better because of the tone of the Opening post.

In actual fact people like Cerbera and Womble can't wait to tell us all "I told you so" when we fail to win a game or when we eventually finish the season 12th (which won't be a failure btw -a season after admin.) Womble for example doesn't like internet trolls yet you will happily slag off Argyle without any constructive argument to your point. If you can't see that with our injured players coming back, and with some of the new signings settled, that we've improved from Aldershot opening day (since then we've had 2 bad performances) then we may as well give up.
Can you see what Fletch is trying to do with the squad? How we are trying to play? How we are trying to improve? If you can state 5 things that Fletch should be doing or has done completely wrong then great i'd love to hear them.

I sometimes wonder if there's a pattern emerging between home and away records/and performances. We've been very good away from home, bar the dagenham game and first half Oxford. We've had setbacks like being behind at Morecombe, being under the cosh as Dagenham and leaking against Barnet yet we've stayed strong, focused and got the results. At home we seem to have a breakdown... I wonder if that's down to the fans...
The argument about booing players because you've paid your money to see the game is probably the biggest heap of bu*lshit ever. There hasn't ever been an example of players being booed (especially the youngsters) and then having a positive effect. IF anything the only thing the crowd can do in a game to influence it is support the team. So if we're doing badly a bit of geeing up is required because 99% of the time if you boo your own players they will lose morale and if you're one of our youngsters then they're going to be prone to errors. So actually by booing your own players the away team have that slight advantage.
When posters were contructive after the Wimbledon loss that was fine, and Fletch will make mistakes of course, but I don't understand why you can't give the bloke time? What's the rush? And if you want him out then what's your suggestion for a new manager?

Mazz, I dont want to tell anyone "I told you so". In fact I have advocated giving Fletcher until the end of the season before judging in haste, so quite what I would say "I told you so" about I have no idea.

You have singled me out for a bit of ill founded critisism. To confirm my position:
I have never booed a manager at HP, and go not join witch hunts for blood online
I have never ever singled out an individual player for abuse, either at HP or on the web. I hate that
I dont boo the team. Tho I understand thiose who do.
I was delighted when we won. I wish we would do so more often.
I am not happy with 18th place, if we finish in 18th it will be an abject faliure. However we are showing potential to improve, and I am hopeful that we will come good over the winter.

Basically the jury is still out on Fletch. He shows some promise, but needs to start converting the promise into dominating results and performances. We dont dominate teams at home, and we need to start doing so. I like the phillosophy he is trying to implement, but we dont get points for effort. It is about time for a run of results to go our way, and hopefully this run began on Sat.

It is a shame that some people will vilify any poster who doesnt believe Fletch is the second coming. I have in general trodden a middle ground, a wait and see approach, but still find myself vilifield as a frothing at the mouth Fletch hater. I quite like him and want him to be given a chance.

Feb 13, 2004
Not where I should be.
Mr. Brightside":zazji2sl said:
Our next 3 games will provide a better indication though of how things are progressing as we will be playing teams in the top half of the table and not teams towards the bottom as in recent weeks.

If we can obtain 6 or 7 points from those 3 games against Rochdale, Cheltenham and Rotherham

I would agree with the first bit, the second I will be absolutely astounded!