The Ashes | Page 79 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Ashes

Jul 6, 2005
The Old Trafford test might have got a result if England had declared earlier.

Rain was forecast after all.
It's hard to win a Test Match against the Aussies when you lose almost 2 days.

At Edgebaston, Stokes's reckless declaration (when Root was taking Lyon apart) proved to be a big factor in us losing because we never set a big enough total, but I think he got it right at Old Trafford.

With rain forecasted, the plan was to bat once only or to just have a very small total to chase in the 4th innings and if it wasn't for the weather, it would have worked.

In the 2nd innings, all of the Aussies top 5 Batters were out and they were still 60-odd short of our 1st innings; then the rain came.

memory man

✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Nov 28, 2011
Romsey
As I see it there is just one slight danger in Bazball. England score at a prolific rate. Going at 5 an over they can get 400 plus 80 or so overs. Australia, with their much slower rate, would take at least 140 overs to get a similar score. This means that England's bowlers in Australia's second innings could have a potential tiredness or wear and tear issue, especially if the same pattern is repeated over 5 Tests in a condensed period.

Reactions: Belfast Green
Sep 6, 2006
As I see it there is just one slight danger in Bazball. England score at a prolific rate. Going at 5 an over they can get 400 plus 80 or so overs. Australia, with their much slower rate, would take at least 140 overs to get a similar score. This means that England's bowlers in Australia's second innings could have a potential tiredness or wear and tear issue, especially if the same pattern is repeated over 5 Tests in a condensed period.
Yes good point. I hope Tests won't be so condensed in future. I was concerned in the last innings with both Wood and Ali not fully fit. Perhaps the rain delays helped us by giving them breaks.

Reactions: Belfast Green