The Ashes | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

The Ashes

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Think we need a dedicated thread as the England v Ireland thread has become more about the Ashes anyway.

Going to watch the BBC "How to win the Ashes" to hopefully see some good moments, but, probably few lows for England too.

Tough series ahead, real test of Stokes' captaincy and approach. Can England work out a way to bowl out an impressive looking Aussie batting line-up? Especially without Jofra Archer and returning from the wilderness spinner Moeen.

Jul 29, 2006
Bridgend
I'd be interesting to get peoples score predictions for the series, I genuinely can't call it but I think Leach being out sways it slightly in Australia's favour? Can't see there being many draws, 3-2 either way??

Argylegames

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Jun 12, 2006
Hampshire, UK
www.argylegames.org.uk
Yesterday's Aussie performance gives me little hope. Plus, are we not playing with the Australian ball this summer? We usually struggle playing with that.

cheshiregreen

✅ Evergreen
Feb 17, 2004
cheshire
Potentially. But Moeen hasn't played any red ball cricket for couple of years now.

To answer The Pilgrim's question - suspect one Test will end up impacted by the weather. Perhaps a drawn series. England need to start series well , I think, or the Aussies will show no mercy and dominate.

Edit to add - this response was to whether England batting improved with Moeen's inclusion

Last edited:

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Not sure it does. Ali coming in strengthens the batting

I tend to agree although Leach has become increasingly effective, and Moeen hasn't played first-class cricket for two years. Has he still got the stamina to hold up an end for a whole session?

I feel a bit nervous watching Lyon against all of our left-handers too, it's disappointing he hasn't remained the pie-chucker he used to be.

I think it'll be a brilliant series. My guess is a blow-out win for each team and two other close finishes. If I were a betting man, which I'm not, I'd go for England (I imagine we're narrow favourites for the series?) but it really could go either way. I don't see us getting dominated like always happens Down Under though.

Reactions: Justin

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
I can't wait!
A lot depends on the fitness of Stokes, he should be able to bat but the team needs him to bowl as well, he's the all-rounder in the middle order.
I'm a bit worried about our seam attack - all a bit samey but hopefully Wood can play in at least two Tests.
4-1 to England.

Mat

🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
Sep 22, 2003
Sidney, British Columbia,, Canada
I’m intrigued if Bazball will work against their bowling attack, and if it doesn’t early on will England revert to old fashioned test cricket.

Quinny

Cream First
Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I’m intrigued if Bazball will work against their bowling attack, and if it doesn’t early on will England revert to old fashioned test cricket.

That's a good question. England's record under McCullum / Stokes has been ... astonishing (10 wins, 1 loss), and they said from the outset that they'd embrace this aggressive style of play knowing they will lose matches. However, they won't want to face a whitewash, so if they [hypothetically] lost the first couple of Tests and were comprehensively outplayed, then I think they may well take their foot off the throttle somewhat. Maybe not defensive, but perhaps not swashbuckling and trying to score 5+ runs an over.

FWIW, I think it'll finish 3-2 ... but I couldn't tell you who'd win. It's essential that Broad is kept fit for the series (even if he won't play in every game) because he has a track record in getting under the Aussie batsmen skins. But I think this has the making of being one of the best Ashes series in a very long time.

Reactions: Brussels Bureaucrat

Bernie Bernbaum

Pasoti Quiz Champions
May 29, 2015
Going to be interesting. Will Bazball continue if we lose the first test or two? The Aussie bowlers are definitely a step up from the bowlers of Pakistan, Bangladesh and New Zealand.

Brussels Bureaucrat

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Jun 16, 2017
Ixelles/The City of Plymouth
Going to be interesting. Will Bazball continue if we lose the first test or two? The Aussie bowlers are definitely a step up from the bowlers of Pakistan, Bangladesh and New Zealand.

I'd be amazed if McCullum and Stokes are blown off course by a couple of defeats. They've both been very clear about sticking to their principles. The nature of the way we play means we will occasionally get beaten heavily by good teams, but you can't argue with the results so far.

BDW

Apr 15, 2023
Looking at Friday’s T20 result (Bears v Northamptonshire) the majority of wickets were taken by the spinners.
Ali took 3 wickets, the weather here in Birmingham has been sunny and dry for weeks. I suspect Ali v Lyon could be where the first test I’d decided.