Sunderland 'Til I Die | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sunderland 'Til I Die

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":1mvtod88 said:
The financial gap is only going to get bigger and bigger. Some clubs will financially collapse in the process. Other traditional clubs will be shifted out of the football league in place of the bank rolled Salford et al.

Some people don't think the B team boycott is worthwhile, and that the money is valuable. But relying on Prem handouts for the sale of dignity is a dangerous game to play in the long term. Clubs just voted in favour of retaining the current format of that comp by the way, despite fans making it clear that it's unliked. Fans aren't important or valued as much by clubs anymore it seems. Will Argyle announce how they voted?

Argyle voted against last year and openly admitted so. Having entered a democratic process they were obliged to accept the result. I can't see why they might have changed their views on the competition twelve months on.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
SwimWithTheTide":3cw91l06 said:
The financial gap is only going to get bigger and bigger. Some clubs will financially collapse in the process. Other traditional clubs will be shifted out of the football league in place of the bank rolled Salford et al.

Some people don't think the B team boycott is worthwhile, and that the money is valuable. But relying on Prem handouts for the sale of dignity is a dangerous game to play in the long term. Clubs just voted in favour of retaining the current format of that comp by the way, despite fans making it clear that it's unliked. Fans aren't important or valued as much by clubs anymore it seems. Will Argyle announce how they voted?

I’d certainly like to know that too.. 1,000 posts Wow that went quick... the discussion on P@soti is great!!

Sep 6, 2006
SwimWithTheTide":lykvsvn5 said:

So are you suggesting fans were once valued by their clubs?

Aug 8, 2013
Worcester
Lundan Cabbie":2tgi59a4 said:
SwimWithTheTide":2tgi59a4 said:

Argyle voted against last year and openly admitted so. Having entered a democratic process they were obliged to accept the result. I can't see why they might have changed their views on the competition twelve months on.

I'm not suggesting they wouldn't have LC. Just seems strange that another vote has supposedly taken place, but this time on the hush. Hushed by the 48, not pointing fingers. Apparently Carlisle have openly said they voted in favour, despite fans making it clear it was unwanted.

Sep 2, 2006
Paignton
I thought it was a bit dull tbh. As a previous poster said, they labored over 2/3 key points over the whole series.
There was little to no actual dressing room reaction/coverage to the many defeats over the season, which is the warts n all bit I really wanted to see.
No actual dressing room team talks before, during or after any games.
No interview at all with Jack Rodwell who was clearly a huge factor in terms of his wages that season.
ON the positive side, it’s always nice to see real fans talking openly about THEIR club.
Also, Fair play to Johnny Williams who was very open about his struggles with injury and self belief. Tbh, I think the guy was simply lonely. He showed the plight of a single footballer traveling away from home and missing the best and most simple things in life that actually make us happy. Not just money.
Also made me feel lucky to live where we do in the SW. it looks grim oop north!

Sep 6, 2006
Smaller clubs CAN compete at that level. Burton survived for a while. Brentford make a big profit every year due to excellent scouting and dealings in the transfer market. If we had an effective international scouting network rather than relying on cast offs from the likes of Falkirk we would do a lot better. That was a big part of our success under Sturrock.Udinese in Serie a with a small population and crowds have thrived for years on a similar model.

Gloucester Green

Cream First
♣️ Shire Greens
Sep 18, 2010
Gloucester
Loveargyles I fully agree with you on the Williams thing I actually felt sorry for him as he was earning all that money but was a loner struggling with his own demons compounded by his injury lay off. The fact he was going home to play Fifa said it all for me

Nov 29, 2011
Plymouth
SwimWithTheTide":3v7lv4gy said:
Lundan Cabbie":3v7lv4gy said:
SwimWithTheTide":3v7lv4gy said:

I'm not suggesting they wouldn't have LC. Just seems strange that another vote has supposedly taken place, but this time on the hush. Hushed by the 48, not pointing fingers. Apparently Carlisle have openly said they voted in favour, despite fans making it clear it was unwanted.

Notts County SLO on Twitter suggesting that 40 out of 48 have voted in favour of it.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
This might not be a popular viewpoint, but given the arrogance and attitude of some of Sunderland's supporters in the lead up to, and following our game at Home Park earlier this season they are a club that I no longer have any sympathy for, some of their fan base seems to have a similar level of self importance as Pompey fans.

JannerinCardiff

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿
♣️ SWAG Member
Jul 16, 2018
Cardiff
Argyle-sy":1v2k1gfi said:
This might not be a popular viewpoint, but given the arrogance and attitude of some of Sunderland's supporters in the lead up to, and following our game at Home Park earlier this season they are a club that I no longer have any sympathy for, some of their fan base seems to have a similar level of self importance as Pompey fans.

Totally agree. They think so much of themselves, I’d love it if they failed to get promoted this season.

Jan 20, 2004
Balham_Green":1kjx65hq said:
Smaller clubs CAN compete at that level. Burton survived for a while. Brentford make a big profit every year due to excellent scouting and dealings in the transfer market. If we had an effective international scouting network rather than relying on cast offs from the likes of Falkirk we would do a lot better. That was a big part of our success under Sturrock.Udinese in Serie a with a small population and crowds have thrived for years on a similar model.

Brentfords situation is unique. Matthew Benham, their owner, is a gambling analyst, his whole way of doing business is based on calculations. He closed Brentford Accadamy three and half years ago to save an estimated £2m per year and relies on picking up other clubs rejects once they have been released from their youth systems.

I'm not sure this model would work at Argyle though, as Brentfords location disadvantage / advantage is the opposite to Plymouth. We are at an advantage that we have the opportunity to pick up talent at a young age in an isolated but large catchment area with very little competition, and then nurture them through our youth system without them being poached by bigger local clubs.

We are at a disadvantage in attracting the youth cast offs from other accadamys due to our location and as Loveargyles has pointed out the loneliness of a young player a long way from friends and family.

Biggs

Administrator
Staff member
✅ Evergreen
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Feb 14, 2010
Plymouth/London
Balham_Green":jtof5frj said:

Agree with that. Sunderland and other's USP has been throwing money at it. Swansea, Brentford and other's USP has been smarts and thinking outside the box. Our USP at the moment is slow, steady progression and stability while building infrastructure foundations.

Also, with a completed modern stadium in our ownership and as an upwardly mobile, lean and mean League 1 or Championship club, I think we will be very attractive to investors anyway.