Stop dying! Just effing stop it!!! | Page 43 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Stop dying! Just effing stop it!!!

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
On the topic of funeral music...

I have a whole developing playlist of classical music for my life (almost entirely late 19th century/early 20th century Germanic and Russian). It ends with one of Richard Strauss's 'Four Last Songs' (I want to die to this music although if things go badly it'll probably be some cataclysmic Mahler instead) before heading into Wagner's 'Siegfried's Funeral March' from the opera Gotterdammerung (which you might know from the fabulously bonkers film Excalibur) and then returns to Richard Strauss for 'Tod and Verklarung' (Death and Transfiguration).

Also on my list (but not associated with death) are Nielsen's Helios Overture, Smetana's Ma Vlast, the slow movement of Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto (as used in the film Bridge of Spies), the theme from 'The Onedin Line' from Khachaturian's 'Spartacus', some Sibelius (probably the opening of the icy cold 4th Symphony), some Brahms (there's a particular orgasmically swelling crescendo in one of the symphonies that I have in mind), some Mahler (reaches deep inside and tears out your soul) and obviously some Tchaikovsky (something from at least one of the 4th, 5th or 6th symphonies and perhaps March Slav which was apparently my favourite music when I was little).

I doubt much of this music is anyone else's cup of tea here but I guess you never know (my mother never used to like my taste in what she described as 'troubled music').

The Doctor

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 15, 2003
Plymouth
andapoet.blog
Back on topic...

RIP David McKee - author/creator of Elmer the elephant and my particular favourite, the ever adventurous, kind and profound legend that is Mr Benn - formerly of Tavistock and a student at Plymouth College of Art has passed away today. The fancy dress shop that is the source of Mr Benn's adventures was inspired by a shop that McKee used to walk past near the art college in the Drake Circus are of the city.

• Sad
Reactions: Emu
Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
Punk icon Jordan (Pamela Rooke) died aged 66 last Sunday.

I was living in Granada Land during the early days of punk, and avidly watched Tony Wilson's So It Goes featuring many of the leading lights very early on in their careers. There she was in 1976 gyrating away with the Pistols, wearing an outfit that looks suspiciously like a Nazi uniform but actually isn't.

May 22, 2006
Punk icon Jordan (Pamela Rooke) died aged 66 last Sunday.

I was living in Granada Land during the early days of punk, and avidly watched Tony Wilson's So It Goes featuring many of the leading lights very early on in their careers. There she was in 1976 gyrating away with the Pistols, wearing an outfit that looks suspiciously like a Nazi uniform but actually isn't.
You were lucky to be living up north. TSW/Westward was about the only region not to broadcast So It Goes. As a frustrated teenager, I wrote to them highlighting the disappointment of a generation but only received an inane reply. They probably gave us something like Farmer’s Weekly instead.

Still have Stiff 1 somewhere. We still need discussions with the Russians.

Mar 1, 2014
Ilfracombe, Devon

I have a whole developing playlist of classical music for my life (almost entirely late 19th century/early 20th century Germanic and Russian). It ends with one of Richard Strauss's 'Four Last Songs' (I want to die to this music although if things go badly it'll probably be some cataclysmic Mahler instead) before heading into Wagner's 'Siegfried's Funeral March' from the opera Gotterdammerung (which you might know from the fabulously bonkers film Excalibur) and then returns to Richard Strauss for 'Tod and Verklarung' (Death and Transfiguration).

Also on my list (but not associated with death) are Nielsen's Helios Overture, Smetana's Ma Vlast, the slow movement of Shostakovich's 2nd piano concerto (as used in the film Bridge of Spies), the theme from 'The Onedin Line' from Khachaturian's 'Spartacus', some Sibelius (probably the opening of the icy cold 4th Symphony), some Brahms (there's a particular orgasmically swelling crescendo in one of the symphonies that I have in mind), some Mahler (reaches deep inside and tears out your soul) and obviously some Tchaikovsky (something from at least one of the 4th, 5th or 6th symphonies and perhaps March Slav which was apparently my favourite music when I was little).

I doubt much of this music is anyone else's cup of tea here but I guess you never know (my mother never used to like my taste in what she described as 'troubled music').
You speak with eloquence, you have a passion for classical music, and your username is The Doctor... You are famous physicist Dr. Gabor Matè and I claim my reward!

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
A sad one for me - one of my favorite bands ever, and seen second from left in my avatar. Saw them in the 70s - fantastically exciting live band. I bet Micky D remembers them ?!!!
I do indeed. I bought your namesake single when it was released here - what a great song - and I've got the album, although sadly I never got to see them live.

RIP, Chris.

greeneagle

✅ Evergreen
Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia

Some lovely pieces there. I’d include Dvoraks New World, Beethoven and Bach, and of course Mozarts Requiem.

Bernie Bernbaum

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Pasoti Quiz Champions
Jade Berrow 23/24
May 29, 2015
I'm sad to hear that Cynthia Albritton AKA Cynthia Plaster Caster passed away last week at the age of 74. 'Supergroupie' and artist extrordinaire. RIP Cynthia.

Keepitgreen

🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
♣️ PACSA Member
♣️ Senior Greens
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
🚑 Steve Hooper
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 12, 2008
Plymouth
Never saw him in New Tricks but he was good viewing in MInder and The Sweeney. RIP Dennis.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
We get New Tricks over here, enjoy the show, but you realise how old the series was when Denis has died and he was in his 70's

Last edited:
Reactions: Argyle sy