• Welcome to PASOTI (Sponsored by GA Solictors and Lang & Potter)

Stop dying! Just effing stop it!!!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
An awful month. WTF January! Another legend from my youth gone and at a relatively young age.
RIP Glenn Frey. Thanks for standing on the corner in Winslow, Arizona.

Dec 30, 2004
Brighton
LG":3gvutq6h said:
I think it's just a fact that we're getting older.
Indeedy. They were all in their late sixties (save for Lemmy who was a couple of days over 70 and probably helped himself on his way out following his diagnosis, I suspect) and three of them had cancer. Frey died of "complications arising from rheumatoid arthritis, colitis and pneumonia" (Jeez!) and Buffin had Alzheimer's

That's probably just a fairly average sample of those who die in their late sixties, sad to say. They just happen to have been famous to varying degrees and to have died in a little cluster, at least from our narrow point of view. (I doubt that many under 50 who are mourning the loss of Bowie, Lemmy or Frey will have much of a clue who Buffin was, or Rickman aside from his Snape role.)

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
I'm sure a fair few of us under the age of 50 had seen films like Die Hard or Dogma, Micky. I take your point on Buffin - I only knew who he was because of love of music!

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
January claims another one. RIP Sir Terry Wogan.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
Clarke_B":29p1pich said:
pilgrimage":29p1pich said:
Joe Cocker to be added to the list.

I thought it was physically impossible to die twice. Cocker died in 2014 !

Reminds me of a comment by the fiddlist Dave Swarbrick (who, btw, is very ill again and is in ITU in a hospital in Wales) when the local rag in Coventry accidentally ran an obituary about him many years ago, to which the Swarb replied "it wasn't the first time I died in Coventry".

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
Staff member
Lowey Sponsor
Oct 31, 2010
RIP George Kennedy. He seemed to be in every good movie during the 60s, 70s and 80s.

Jan 26, 2004
Brisbane, Australia
Quinny":1dcrzx6j said:
Clarke_B":1dcrzx6j said:
pilgrimage":1dcrzx6j said:
Joe Cocker to be added to the list.

I thought it was physically impossible to die twice. Cocker died in 2014 !

Reminds me of a comment by the fiddlist Dave Swarbrick (who, btw, is very ill again and is in ITU in a hospital in Wales) when the local rag in Coventry accidentally ran an obituary about him many years ago, to which the Swarb replied "it wasn't the first time I died in Coventry".

Sorry to hear that, Fairport were one of my favourite electric folk bands. Sandy Denny, RIP, had such a wonderful folk singers voice.

Jul 15, 2006
Kenton, Devon
The Swarb is slowly getting better - he's been moved to a hospital in Brum and his partner regularly updates his progress on Facebook. Don't know if he'll be well enough to perform again, though: I'm glad I got to see him and Martin Carthy play last year.

Absolutely agree with you re: Sandy Denny. I've always said she's probably the grearest female vocalist this country has ever produced. Only musician to be credited on a Led Zep track other than Page/Plant/Bonham/Jones too!