Steve Castle | Page 2 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Steve Castle

davie nine

R.I.P
Jan 23, 2015
Plympton
Dreamgreen":33cm536h said:
I reckon he was THE best box to box midfielder that ever played for Argyle.
I agree. Johnny Williams was fantastic in the 1960’s and David Friio in 2000/5 Sturrock teams but Stevie Castle was THE BEST.

Jul 11, 2006
tiverton
One if the best midfielders, and players I have ever seen play for Argyle. Undoubtedly played in the most attractive to watch Argyle teams in living memory. I still go back to that diving headervat the Hawthornes, where even the West Brom fans applauded, such was the quality of the goal. Such a shame we never got to see Steve, or that Argyle team play at a higher level, but not have they given us some memories that will live with us forever.

May 11, 2019
Certainly one of the best in the third tier, lacked a decent left back which sadly cost us automatic promotion.

Oct 31, 2015
Superb blog. Good to see the old fox.

Between him and Steve McCall what a fantastic midfield.
Some good open comments. You can see why the team went into melt down with Shiltons training regime. "a quick and sharp couple of hours" :wtf: :wtf:

Also interesting to hear how being away from.your home and coping with relationships was all poured into mix

A really open and honest review. That man will always be welcome in the city :nworthy:

Emu

Oct 3, 2003
Sarf London
rsp4":1fpwuauc said:
Superb blog. Good to see the old fox.

Between him and Steve McCall what a fantastic midfield.
Some good open comments. You can see why the team went into melt down with Shiltons training regime. "a quick and sharp couple of hours" :wtf: :wtf:

Also interesting to hear how being away from.your home and coping with relationships was all poured into mix

A really open and honest review. That man will always be welcome in the city :nworthy:

Indeed. I don't think we have had a better balanced central midfield pairing than that - not in my era of watching Argyle anyway. Add onto that Paul Dalton on the wing...

If my memory serves me right, we conceded a lot of goals that season.
As pointed out earlier, Naylor was probably our weak point in defence during the season, and then Hill and Comyn had their annus horribilis moment v Burnley. Saying that, we should have really gone up automatically.

Nov 2, 2004
davie nine":6j29rq31 said:
Dreamgreen":6j29rq31 said:
I reckon he was THE best box to box midfielder that ever played for Argyle.
I agree. Johnny Williams was fantastic in the 1960’s and David Friio in 2000/5 Sturrock teams but Stevie Castle was THE BEST.

Not having that, Frio was at least as good and Johnny Williams was a completely different class. Ernie Macxhin was also at least as good and probably better.

Dreamgreen

✅ Evergreen
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
May 28, 2004
Salisbury, Wiltshire
You might have a case for Friio and possibly for Williams. But Machin was not what I would call a box to box midfielder. Creative yes but not the defender nor the scorer.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
What a player he was. That team was full of them.

The best Argyle side I've ever seen (I'm 50).

Jun 27, 2019
Fascinating stuff. What a legend that man is.

Mind you, I like the way he conveniently neglects to mention that he handed in a transfer request the summer after we lost to Burnley. He also fails to mention Peter Swan, which is just bizarre considering the destructive impact he had on that team.

On a broader level, it's further evidence if any is needed of just how much our location holds us back. Castle mentions Warren Joyce not being able to settle, as well as Paul Dalton nipping home to Middlesbrough at every opportunity. He even says that players are happy to sign for us but will only ever do a couple of years before looking for a move.