Starting XI | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Starting XI

Jun 24, 2008
Cult Of Personality":24irnlss said:
Dont think Taylor will suit Lowe's style due to lack of mobilty. He wants his striker to move the defence around not pin them down like Taylor will do

I agree. Although I also doubt he will be moved on, probably a bench option if the game needs changing into another dimension?

That said, that was his role last season and I don't remember him making an effect once. Taylor really went down in my estimations last year because of this. I'm hoping Alex Fletcher can offer more from the bench this season.

Nov 2, 2004
At this level Taylor is a top class centre forward. After a seasons rest his ankles should be much better I think we will see plenty of him.

Tugboat

Cream First
šŸ‡°šŸ‡Ŗ Welicar Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
šŸŒŸSparksy MuralšŸŒŸ
Feb 24, 2007
ealinggreen":1k3vxmpu said:
At this level Taylor is a top class centre forward. After a seasons rest his ankles should be much better I think we will see plenty of him.

Not in lowes ā€˜ball to feetā€™ style of play he isnā€™t.

For me heā€™s an option for certain games that have poor pitches or bad environmental conditions but not a starter.

Apr 15, 2004
East Devon
macleanie":39ckmctl said:
Cult Of Personality":39ckmctl said:
Dont think Taylor will suit Lowe's style due to lack of mobilty. He wants his striker to move the defence around not pin them down like Taylor will do

I agree. Although I also doubt he will be moved on, probably a bench option if the game needs changing into another dimension?

That said, that was his role last season and I don't remember him making an effect once. Taylor really went down in my estimations last year because of this. I'm hoping Alex Fletcher can offer more from the bench this season.
Itā€™s going to be interesting ā€“ I can see both arguments. On the one hand RLā€™s preference at Bury seems to have been for quick and mobile forwards which would suggest Taylor doesnā€™t fit ā€¦ā€¦. then again maybe he was just making the most of what he had available ā€“ there are plenty of examples of teams using a strong target man with quick players around him. Taylor is no donkey either ā€“ he is an intelligent player with a decent touch ā€¦ā€¦. and he can ā€˜mix itā€™ a bit which will be needed on occasions in L2 ā€“ imagine a Tuesday night game at Orient for example. The biggest question is over his fitness.

Iā€™m really hoping Fletcher catches fire this season ā€“ I think the lad has bags of potential but he canā€™t have ā€˜potentialā€™ all his career ā€“ he needs to deliver and if he doesnā€™t do it under this manager then maybe he never will.

Mar 16, 2009
London
Tugboat":3vg8obkr said:
ealinggreen":3vg8obkr said:

Not in lowes ā€˜ball to feetā€™ style of play he isnā€™t.

For me heā€™s an option for certain games that have poor pitches or bad environmental conditions but not a starter.

To be honest we need more than one playing style. Especially as Loweā€™s alleged style will be known across the league next season. Heā€™s not a new boy any more.

If Taylorā€™s over his injuries however, heā€™d still be a good catch for lots of sides and therefore quite easy to move on (wages permitting).

At the moment though we have very few, if any, alternative options upfront.

Iā€™m guessing 2 or 3 attackers will join by the start of the season, in which case Taylor can then move on by the end of August.

Jan 24, 2019
RKB":2i7hrmpo said:
It's going to be exciting watching this continuing to take shape over the next couple of weeks.

Currently, in Lowe's preferred 3-1-4-2 formation;

GK Cooper*
CB Aimson
CB Canavan*
CB Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Smith-Brown
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB J.Grant*
CF Taylor*
CF Jephcott*

Beyond the GK position, where obviously we need a second option, I can see another CB coming in to challenge Canavan or Sawyer for their starting position, possibly a left wing back, although Smith-Brown could switch sides and Riley could come in and be a good option on the right, or could Conor Grant be the answer there? Midfield looking ok, although beyond the starting 3 in the middle there is only really C.Grant as a senior option, so one more as back-up (or to challenge Sarcevic for a start) should be the target. Upfront is where I think we need 2 new options. Taylor has been a shadow of his former self since his injury troubles, Dyson has shown no evidence of being ready to step up, and Fletcher, Jephcott and Lolos are all immensely promising, but still largely unproven. What money on Dom Telford and Caolan Lavery arriving?

GK Cooper*
CB Aimson
CB Canavan*
CB Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Smith-Brown
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB Moore
CF Taylor
CF Fletcher*

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
Green1995":1m8n5ar9 said:
RKB":1m8n5ar9 said:
It's going to be exciting watching this continuing to take shape over the next couple of weeks.

Currently, in Lowe's preferred 3-1-4-2 formation;

GK Cooper*
CB Aimson
CB Canavan*
CB Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Smith-Brown
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB J.Grant*
CF Taylor*
CF Jephcott*

Beyond the GK position, where obviously we need a second option, I can see another CB coming in to challenge Canavan or Sawyer for their starting position, possibly a left wing back, although Smith-Brown could switch sides and Riley could come in and be a good option on the right, or could Conor Grant be the answer there? Midfield looking ok, although beyond the starting 3 in the middle there is only really C.Grant as a senior option, so one more as back-up (or to challenge Sarcevic for a start) should be the target. Upfront is where I think we need 2 new options. Taylor has been a shadow of his former self since his injury troubles, Dyson has shown no evidence of being ready to step up, and Fletcher, Jephcott and Lolos are all immensely promising, but still largely unproven. What money on Dom Telford and Caolan Lavery arriving?

GK Cooper*
CB Aimson
CB Canavan*
CB Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Smith-Brown
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB Moore
CF Taylor
CF Fletcher*

I think you may have Smith-Brown and Moore mixed up- ASB is the one with experience of playing on the left...?

RKB

ā™£ļø PASTA Member
Jul 22, 2013
2 more in since last week so I'm going again;

GK Cooper
CB Aimson
CB Canavan
CB Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Smith-Brown
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB McFadzean
CF Taylor
CF Telford

New GK, Riley, Wootton, C. Grant, J. Grant, Jephcott, Fletcher on the bench currently.

For me, beyond the GK, I would argue for that beast of a CB, an attacking CM and an experienced striker. Possibly 3 of the 4 will be loans..

Aug 22, 2006
We're sort of assuming that our new system will work with the players we have. I don't think Lowe has always played 3 at the back. If the season kicked off tomorrow (without the injuries we currently have:)

GK Cooper
CB Aimson
CB Canavan
CB Sawyer

DM Edwards
RWB Riley
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB Smith Brown
CF Taylor
CF Lolos

Subs
Wootton, McFadzean, C. Grant, J. Grant, Randell, Telford, Fletcher

Chaps in bold i'd quite like replacements for, although in Lolos' case he'll hopefully be a wee nugget. He'll play for Greece in the next 2 years. You've heard it here first. Maybe play one of Sawyer/Canavan. Also i'm not convinced about the pace/energy of that midfield 5. The Sarcevic role is crucial.

It may be something like:

GK NEW PLAYER
CB Aimson
CB Canavan
CB NEW PLAYER
DM Edwards
RWB Riley (need back up for him, I know Smith Brown can also play on the right but still..)
CM Sarcevic (I think this position is absolutely key - I wonder if he puts Edwards here and McFadzean in DM)
CM Mayor
LWB Smith Brown
CF Taylor
CF NEW STRIKER

Subs
Cooper, Sawyer, McFadzean, C. Grant, J. Grant, Lolos, Telford

Wootton, Moore (i'd like him to get into the team), Randell, Sangster, Fletcher, Jephcott all close to squad of 18. Also who will be challenging for the wing back roles? The Grants? Moore? Key if we pick up an injury. We probably need one more natural wing back as well.

Sep 20, 2005
Stockholm
I think we're covered at wing back. The options we have (in some kind of order of preference):

Left - ASB, McFadzean, C Grant, J Grant, Law
Right - Riley, ASB, Moore, Edwards. J Grant

My selection would be very similar to yours though, Mazza:

GK Palmer/Cooper
CB Aimson
CB New player
CB Canavan/Sawyer
DM Edwards
RWB Riley
CM Sarcevic
CM Mayor
LWB Smith Brown
CF Taylor
CF New player

Subs
Cooper/Palmer, Canavan/Sawyer, McFadzean, Randell, C. Grant, J. Grant, Telford

As nobody else posted after me, I can update to include Palmer ;)

D

Darren Stoneman

Not sure why the obsession with Fletcher he is poor and from what I have seen has not improved as fast as others, Lolos is a much better all round player and a natural forward, in the first 2 games Fletcher has been enthusiastic but limited

For me Taylor and Telford

With Lolos on the bench

Jun 19, 2006
weston super mare
Not an obsession with Fletcher, I think just an overwhelming desire for him to succeed, and disappointment that he hasn't so far.
As for starting XI at Gresty Road, with curent personnel, and admitting i have not seen any of the gams so far.
Cooper/Palmer
Aimson Canavan Sawyer
Riley
McFadzean
Edwards
Mayor
C Grant
Taylor/Telford/Lolos
We haven't seen anything close to this line up so a, but I think there is cause to be optimistic.
Ideally would like to see a CB and striker who is good enough to be a guaranteed starter.
Not sure how much of a future Dyson and Fletcher have to be honest, but we will have to wait and see RL will have far more of an idea of thier potential than any of us.

Mar 15, 2007
Plymouth
Steve Evans":2jgo12mr said:
i would start with these men;
GK - mike cooper,for me he is premier league bound
RCB - Aimson
CB - Wootton
LCB - Sawyer
RWB - Riley
LWB - C. Grant
CM - Edwards
CM - ashley smith brown
CAM - Mayor
CF - J Grant
CF - alex fletcher

Steve, with no disrespect, Iā€™m absolutely delighted you are not the manager. That 11 loses by at least 3 goals at Crewe.

For me;

Cooper,
Aimson
Canavan
New CB/Sawyer
McFadzean
Riley
Edwards
C. Grant
Mayor
Telford
Taylor

Subs; Palmer, Sawyer, Smith-Brown, Randell, Sarcevic, J. Grant, Lolos.

monkeywrench

Administrator
Staff member
šŸ† Callum Wright 23/24
Brickfields Donor
āœ… Evergreen
āœØPasoti DonorāœØ
Jan 12, 2006
Cornwall
Palmer/Cooper
Aimson NEW CB NEW CB
Riley C Grant Edwards Mayor McFadzean
Telford NEW STRIKER

Still think we are 3 or 4 short.

Jul 2, 2014
Cooper/Palmer/Another incoming GK?

Riley - Aimson ā€“ Sawyer
(T. Moore) (Canavan) - (Smith-Brown)

Joel Grant - Mayor - Edwards ā€“ Sarcevic - McFadzean
(Smith-Brown) ( ? ) (Randell) (C. Grant) - (C. Grant)

Telford - Taylor
(Lolos) (TBD B. Moore?)