Sporting Lisbon and Morgan | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Sporting Lisbon and Morgan

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
The family is worth approx 10 billion, the brother who owns Stoke is worth approximately 3.5 billion - money not a problem !!!

But restricted by FFP

Sep 3, 2011
The club should bite their hand off for £20 million, even half of that. At least it would compensate any relegation

Feb 14, 2022
Whittaker has played over 400 minutes more than our next player and over 1000 more than Hardie who everyone says is really knackered.

Maybe we need some appreciation for a guy who is well and truly burnt out and is double marked out of every single game because nobody else in the team carries a goal threat.

We might go down if we play badly in these last 2 games and there will be a number of reasons why. None of those will be Whittaker’s performances, which without, we’d be long gone already.

View attachment 15046

These are great stats - Morgs has never played a full season before at any level let alone in the Championship. (correct me if I'm wrong 1/2 a season on loan at Lincoln, predominately a sub at Derby and Swansea). He has played almost every minute simply because we have no back up of quality. Add in there, the source of most of his goals (Azaz) left at Christmas. The poor lad needs a rest, probably physically and mentally.

Hardie is much the same. Yes he has played less minutes but he was injured pre-Christmas. Since then he has played every game because the back up quality is not there. Even last season with 4 strikers involved he dropped off in the last few games because he played every game up to Easter while Ennis was injured.

At the moment we need a bit of quality from somewhere - Bundu did it vs Leicester, Morgs was a foot away from scoring with the free kick yesterday. If we had gone ahead, it would have been a different game. For me, leaving him or Hardie out would be a massive risk because they are more likely to have that moment of quality than Waine or Issaka. We are data-driven and you dont have to be Einstein to work out MW and RH have more chance of keeping us up than Waine and Issaka.

Apr 11, 2023
I appreciate what Morgan has done for the club this season. Talk of selling him is difficult but if mutually beneficial then it will happen. One thing has become apparent from this season unless we invest in the team next season and/or get a another quality manager we are in for a very harsh season.

Feb 14, 2022
The club should bite their hand off for £20 million, even half of that. At least it would compensate any relegation

And as much of a loss as he would be - yes we would. The squad needs better quality - 20million could get us 3 or 4 players at 2.5 or 3mil even after Swansea's cut. That makes us a very very good L1 side or gives us a better chance of staying up next season.

Argyleloyal

Pasoti Announcer.
🏆 Callum Wright 23/24
Cream First
🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Jade Berrow 23/24
🎫 S.T. Donor 🎫
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 25, 2016
Thing with getting loads for him, other clubs would know how much we got and if we go in for a player their club will hold out for more money

May 4, 2012
Sunderland
And as much of a loss as he would be - yes we would. The squad needs better quality - 20million could get us 3 or 4 players at 2.5 or 3mil even after Swansea's cut. That makes us a very very good L1 side or gives us a better chance of staying up next season.
That's assuming it all goes into the playing budget, and all goes into a playing budget for one season. It wouldn't work like that. If sold for £20m, we don't know what Swansea's cut is, I've seen people mentioning 25%-30%, if we go for the lower amount that would give Swansea £5m, so we're looking at £15m. Now I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen or heard that 50% of transfers at the moment goes towards the playing budget and 50% towards off-field stuff. That would still mean £7.5m, which is nice, but transfer fees aren't generally paid all in one go. You can probably expect that to be spread over about three years. When looking at a playing budget you'd probably want to spread out the budget over three years anyway because you'd need to cover wages over the full length of a contract. So that would mean over three seasons we might be able to increase our overall playing budget by £2.5m a year. That wouldn't mean spending £2.5m on an individual player, because then you've got nothing in the pot for wages for that player.

Reactions: Greenscombe
Nov 3, 2006
This may not be a popular view but I don't think Whittaker is good enough (yet) for a top club. We know he has a wand of a left foot but his overall game is too one-dimensional to make him successful against top defenders.

His record against the best teams in our league this season has been poor - 1 goal and 1 assist in 10 games against Leeds, Leicester, Ipswich and Southampton.

Someone will take a punt on him purely because of his goal tally, but in my view there isn't enough there to worry top-flight defenders.
You're right. Goes missing far too much.

Reactions: oldage
Feb 14, 2022
That's assuming it all goes into the playing budget, and all goes into a playing budget for one season. It wouldn't work like that. If sold for £20m, we don't know what Swansea's cut is, I've seen people mentioning 25%-30%, if we go for the lower amount that would give Swansea £5m, so we're looking at £15m. Now I could be wrong, but I'm sure I've seen or heard that 50% of transfers at the moment goes towards the playing budget and 50% towards off-field stuff. That would still mean £7.5m, which is nice, but transfer fees aren't generally paid all in one go. You can probably expect that to be spread over about three years. When looking at a playing budget you'd probably want to spread out the budget over three years anyway because you'd need to cover wages over the full length of a contract. So that would mean over three seasons we might be able to increase our overall playing budget by £2.5m a year. That wouldn't mean spending £2.5m on an individual player, because then you've got nothing in the pot for wages for that player.

I was think 20% for Swansea leaving 16mil but either way we aren't far different. I said 3 or 4 players think 7.5m to 12m max, leaving some in the pot for wages or off field stuff.

I think the 50% came from a quote about unbudgeted income in past seasons - I think we may find that has changed at the moment. In SH last interview (it may have been around the question on investment), his comments were that if we didn't invest in the team we would be in a relegation fight again next season. I see that as saying there will be investment in the team even if just from the additional TV money. I was also of the thought that the 'player investment fund' created last summer that purchased MW and Bali, would all be reinvested back into 'player investment' although I may have dreamt that up.