So, your thoughts on the Championship? | Page 5 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, your thoughts on the Championship?

Mar 30, 2024
The step up in quality in each league is massive. To think Pompey Derby and probably Bolton will add to the Championship next season is scary. We need to get back to data driven signings. Best of luck to Hallett in securing further investment 👍 we need this to be able to stay in this cut throat league. A very busy summer with lots of things need sorting. Proud of what we achieved this season after all the issues from December. Can't wait for August already. COYG
I think League Two to League One is manageable, League One to The Championship is really, really difficult; but Championship to Premier League is almost insurmountable, without insane investment by those with more money than commonsense.

May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
I think League Two to League One is manageable, League One to The Championship is really, really difficult; but Championship to Premier League is almost insurmountable, without insane investment by those with more money than commonsense.
It makes Lutons attempt this season look all the more remarkable, and with some hope left that they can escape relegation!

Apr 15, 2024
My thoughts are we were somewhat fortunate but fortunate we were and this is a massive wake up call for the club

Where the injection of cash for huge squad overhaul comes from am not sure bar selling Whittaker.
Entire new midfield required Randell Houghton Forshaw required to start, The fact that Galloway didnt start gives the impression he's leaving.
If Whittaker goes and on yesterdays performance bye bye that leaves just Hardie who I think is certainly happy to stay

I come back to what I said pre game yesterday here. We went into the season with just Hardie and the midfielders whereas we'd left L1 with Hardie Cosgrove and Ennis and midfielders....why we didnt bring in new strikers is clearly down to budget and Hallett has to rectify that

Hallett and whoever is swiftly inbound to the hotseat must rectify well all areas of the squad but especially in the strikers positions

Ignoring contracts per se I'd keep Hardie Galloway Gibson Edwards Mumba and Cooper and thats it (assuming Whittaker is off)

Massive squad rebuild required make no mistake otherwise we'll end up next season as the 24th finishing club did this as in way way adrift of the clubs above

Reactions: Said old Green
Aug 13, 2009
Very tough league for Argyle to compete in.
The standard of a lot of the teams has been very high and quite impressive to watch at times.
With the newly relegated and promoted teams joining this league I can see next season being tougher!

TRA1984

✨Pasoti Donor✨
Mar 4, 2008
Plymouth
It’s the most competitive league in the world and I love it and hate it in equal measure.

Every game has so much jeopardy and any team can beat anyone (FAO Ian Foster).

Huge achievement to stay up after everything we have gone through.

Fans were magnificent all season.

COYG

Monster Green

Cream First
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
Jan 12, 2007
Plymouth
One of the most exciting seasons I have been involved in, and some of the best football I have seen. Delighted we're in it again - I pray that someone can see the potential here and throw a few million our way.

mutley marvel

Cream First
✅ Evergreen
Feb 13, 2021
Looking forward to watching the Championship play offs
Leeds who have had a wobble at the worst time of the season
Saints,Norwich & West Brom who have been streaky over the last couple of games
Which 3 teams will have the pleasure of our company next season

Feb 22, 2021
Looked at League 1 teams yesterday, it's honking. Such a climbdown from the Championship. Hopefully rumours of investment are true, only way we can survive. It's such a league to be in.

Jul 12, 2016
Thoroughly enjoyed the quality of the footy on display, what a standard this division is at!

It’s however dominated by the clubs with the biggest wallets. Whether that be down to mega rich owners, ludicrous parachute payments which create a cartel, the end result is a very un level playing field.

In the end, the team spirit, unity and pride returned and got the team over the line but we can’t rely on that again next season alone. The team, board and supporters all felt betrayed by our charismatic coach doing what he did, when he did and that seriously disrupted our momentum.

If however we are all brutally honest we were often outclassed and indeed battered by some opponents even with SS here but the never say die spirit coupled with a mercurial attacking threat, elevated us higher than our play deserved on occasions.

For me next season all hinges on inward investment to improve the squad, whether that comes from new investors or selling the family silver eg MW or a mix of the 2. So the new manager needs to be able to develop a blend of youth, energy, experience and nous with a more physical approach and height as well as pace in the team. Big close season coming up, am cautiously optimistic for next season.

Big thanks and well done to all for the wins against Leicester and Hull against all the odds and a special round of applause for our chairman who must be drained.
And a special mention to Dewsnip and Nance who got us over the line.

Jan 6, 2004
My thoughts are that this a great league, probably the best as a fan experience. But we tried to compete in the Championship with a league one team. Team spirit dragged us over the line this season, but we need to start building a championship team. Hopefully the extra tv money will act as a slight levelling influence and even more hopefully there will be more investors coming on board.

As an aside, we seem to be everyone’s favourite second team and we are unique quirky underdogs , ripe for a streaming documentary I would have thought .

ping g5

🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Dec 20, 2005
What fills me with confidence is the certainty I’ve noticed over the years that most teams which look over the cliff and just avoid relegation tend to do better the next season. It’s as though the wake-up call has jolted the entire club, and standards are consequently raised. Can’t wait for next season.
Like Rotherham and Huddersfield?

Jan 16, 2024
I flew back in from Faro to Birmingham airport yesterday afternoon leaving both games at 80 odd minutes 1 nil up. Good banter on the plane with my Brum mates and Leicester mates. Landed and got the fab news. The Brum lads though were pretty reflective and said they toyed with relegation for a few seasons and hadn't invested to be competitive.
Big summer ahead for us, which will hopefully include investment, so that and the TV money can shape an improved squad.

Reactions: chester
May 11, 2017
Great Yarmouth
A few posters have mentioned new Investors. Where has this information come from because I think Hallett has been very guarded on this front. I guess it could have been the potential of impending relegation!

I do hope it is true though as we seriously need investment. The increased TV money is sorely welcome for the profits of the club but is nowhere near enough for us to make a real dent in the league.

Voice of Reason

Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Sep 30, 2004
Is it the most unfair and mismanaged league in the world?
All teams will line up in August, then 3 clubs will be handed £45 million, a reward for their failure this year. I've long been of the opinion that this is ridiculously unfair on the other 21 teams, if they accept this "parachute" parent it should come with a point penalty to make it fair to all. I hated playing Leeds, Leicester and Southampton as it just sticks in my throat so much.
Finally how the hell can teams be allowed to overspend and lose millions year on year, its beyond farcical Swansea are just the tip of the iceberg, the sanctions and penalties are non existent. Our rewards for being well run is we cant compete for players that the wreckless can, what kind of authority and management structure would allow that to happen?