So, your thoughts on the Championship? | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, your thoughts on the Championship?

Dec 23, 2010
Plymouth
I’ve really enjoyed it. Sold out away end virtually every week, big clubs with big stadiums, and entertaining football.

Anyone can beat anyone, as we showed beating Leicester a few weeks ago.

The challenge for us in the near future is simply staying here. We’ve overcome that first hurdle, just. Bring on next season.

PL2 3DQ

Site Owner
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Oct 31, 2010
This season has worn me out. It's been exciting, nervy, exhausting and relief.

Baby steps and mission one accomplished.
I'm not so sure the pure sustainable model can work in the Championship, maybe it can work by just avoiding relegation each season but for success I think sensible money to be spent by an experienced Championship manager is the way forward.
Maybe it's a mix of all three - sustainability, spending sensible money and having an experienced Championship manager. Something that we had two out of three for this season.

Reactions: 999mattyg
Jun 18, 2005
born St. Columb, Cornwall
Is it the most unfair and mismanaged league in the world?
All teams will line up in August, then 3 clubs will be handed £45 million, a reward for their failure this year. I've long been of the opinion that this is ridiculously unfair on the other 21 teams, if they accept this "parachute" parent it should come with a point penalty to make it fair to all. I hated playing Leeds, Leicester and Southampton as it just sticks in my throat so much.
Finally how the hell can teams be allowed to overspend and lose millions year on year, its beyond farcical Swansea are just the tip of the iceberg, the sanctions and penalties are non existent. Our rewards for being well run is we cant compete for players that the wreckless can, what kind of authority and management structure would allow that to happen?
Agree. I can sort of understand the logic but it basically perpetuates financial unsustainability and unfair competition. These clubs have usually had ridiculous amounts of cash injected already, and failed, so let’s give them even more?

Nov 3, 2006
We were doing better than I anticipated until IF was appointed. If we had kept going the same as prior to IF we'd have ended up mid-table. Just shows that we can compete with the right manager/tactics but we need to strengthen as losing Azaz cost us too.
Goes without saying (appreciate I'm saying it🤣) but we never recovered from losing FA.

Steamer

✅ Evergreen
Oct 17, 2008
Essex
Simon and the management have played a blinder this season. They got the most bang for their buck than any other team. We were never going to go up or reach the playoffs but most importantly, we didn't get relegated and we didn't spend any more money than needed. We also did it without a manager for a big chunk of the season ... We got away with it, as one might say.
Yesterday was a great day, just what football is all about ... it was full of hope and full of jeopardy, the emotions were flying and it was win or lose but the fans were brilliant, all supporting the team and the team responded. When I saw Mrs S standing on the centre spot after the game, I realised that footy can give you the absolute best of times and days to remember and that the 280 mile journey home went in a flash... As for next season ...Bring it on..

jerryatricjanner

✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Apr 22, 2006
Any team can beat any team on a given day, it’s a crazy league, but the thing is you’ve got to believe that you can, Ian Foster didn’t and that rubbed off on the players, the next manager needs to be someone in the SS mould who can inspire confidence.
A lot to be said for that. The bottom 7 teams in the Championship achieved more points than the top 7 over the final 6 games of the season.Can you imagine that happening in the Premier League?

Leo's Grandad

🇰🇪 Welicar Donor
Brickfields Donor
✅ Evergreen
Auction Winner 👨‍⚖️
✨Pasoti Donor✨
🌟Sparksy Mural🌟
Mar 18, 2011
Sunny Plymouth
For a team with limited striking options, losing their manager along with most of his backroom staff and were a couple of games too slow to get rid of his replacement we've done well. Our goal was to stay up and we've achieved that. I was really surprised how much harder the Championship was with the power, size and pace of some players.
Looking forward to next season. It's going to be a tough one but who cares. It's better than being in League 1.

Mar 11, 2018
Tough.
No 'easy' games.
Bigger jump from league one since we were last in the championship.
Lots of good football. Can't switch off for a moment, else you get punished.
That's what struck me. It is a very different beast from when we were last in this league, courtesy of EPL financial spillover and international investment.

I keep saying this and have to keep doing so, because too many people on Pasoti have no realistic appreciation of what we're up against.

We have modest resources and are playing in one of the top ten leagues in the world - e.g., this ranking puts the Championship at 9th in the world:

Most measures have the EFL Championship in and round 9-11th in the world on relevant criteria.

So, well done to us for getting here and clinging on this season - and shame on those who refuse to recognise the scale of the achievement of a club that was in League 2 as recently as 2020, and who so confidently gave up on us this season when we were in dire straits.

Still recovering from the Hull City game!

Jun 24, 2008
Yorkshire
Agree. I can sort of understand the logic but it basically perpetuates financial unsustainability and unfair competition. These clubs have usually had ridiculous amounts of cash injected already, and failed, so let’s give them even more?
Wonder when they will lose a few relegated clubs In league 1 where I understand the payments go from £12 million to £950k what happens to us next year if we sign players on bigger contracts and then get relegated ? We have to consider this where as the Burnley's of this word do not that is not fair

Nov 13, 2006
Plympton St M
The jump from league one to the championship is a really big leap, it feels much bigger than last time. The speed of movement and the ball is faster, there are fewer silly errors and there are CBs as fast as hotdog. You cannot afford to waste your chances, they are few and far between compared to league one. Last year there were some easy games, there is literally no easy games at all.

Aug 13, 2011
So now we've avoided relegation and can look forward to another season in 'Premier League 2' what are your thoughts on our season in the Championship?

For me, it was tougher than what I thought, every game was a battle and every point gained was so important.

Also, I expected the standard of referees and linesmen to be higher than League One so it was a surprise that big mistakes were made. In general play referees did ok but when it came to big decisions they often went against us.
It is a tough uncompromising league where it seems anyone can beat anyone. Leicester's stutter over the line, losing to Millwall, then us and on the last day Blackburn illustrates that vividly ...and they are Champions 🏆.. Argyle were good value for a mid table finish until SS deserted us but ok a good managerial appointment and who knows ....we are not a small club.

Aug 13, 2011
We do need to change things away. This containing game didn't bring much reward .....against Stoke and Millwall we looked anything but threatening in attack..SS had us firing at home , but nothing much away , then we did register a few away wins after he left ...but its our issue from the season. Forget the 5 home defeats without scoring , that was entrusting a manager of kids to guide a C'Ship side to safety ...bad appointment...but ok , Simon is overall an excellent chairman and I'm sure he'll get it right this time....

Reactions: saxman