So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref) | Page 6 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

So, is VAR coming to Argyle? (Video ref)

Apr 4, 2010
Cornwall
Old Gunner":1nzqqcfa said:
dunlop":1nzqqcfa said:
In the Chelsea v Arsenal game last night the game was held up at one point for over two minutes discussing if there should have been a penalty, the ref said no penalty VAR eventually agreed no penalty.
Stoppages like this will only slow the game down.
Referees mistakes are part and parcel of the game, the PC brigade are winning again.

So let's take a theoretical situation. Argyle are in the FA Cup Final against Manchester City, it's the final minute of regulation time and the score is 0-0. Taylor legs it through the opposition defence into the penalty area when he is upended by a City defender (Dirty Northern Bas***ds etc.), the referee says 'no penalty' he adjudges Taylor dived and he is given a yellow card. The score remains at 0-0 and in extra time City go on to win 5-0. After the game TV replays clearly show that Taylor was indeed failed and a penalty should have been awarded to Argyle. If VAR had been used a penalty may have been awarded and Argyle may have gone on to win the match. So in this theoretical situation would we as Argyle fans have shrugged our shoulders at the biggest injustice in our footballing history and said "never mind referee mistakes are all part of the game" or would we be burning down FA headquarters at the sheer stupidity of not utilising the available technology?

On the other hand the tables could be turned and we get an undeserved victory.

That's football.

Aug 3, 2017
I see the first big VAR test came out in Leicester v Fleetwood. I haven’t seen the decision to award the goal / rule the lino got it wrong to call offside.

I’m sure it’ll be scrutinised thoroughly.

Jul 14, 2008
Isondil":4x8tb4fl said:
I see the first big VAR test came out in Leicester v Fleetwood. I haven’t seen the decision to award the goal / rule the lino got it wrong to call offside.

It worked very well. The linesman quite understandably gave it offside but the referee checked and 20 seconds later it was correctly given as a goal. Excellent innovation in my opinion.

Ottawa Green

Site Admin
Staff member
🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦🇨🇦
Cream First
✅ Evergreen
✨Pasoti Donor✨
Sep 18, 2003
Ottawa, Canada
In the CFL to make a challenge to a call or a play the coach has to throw a little yellow flag, then the ref comes over and asks the coach what he is challenging and then the ref goes over to the VAR to check it and then announces whether the coach was right or wrong.

Jan 17, 2017
Bovey Tracey
Ottawa Green":3uisgsk1 said:
In the CFL to make a challenge to a call or a play the coach has to throw a little yellow flag, then the ref comes over and asks the coach what he is challenging and then the ref goes over to the VAR to check it and then announces whether the coach was right or wrong.

I think we'd still be playing the Doncaster game if that happened here

Feb 26, 2012
Ivybridge
Ottawa Green":26hbu2xi said:

Knowing the humour of British fans I could see 10,000 little yellow flags ending up on the pitch :)

Nov 4, 2012
The whole thing is nonsense. Officiating errors are part of the game and whilst I'd say refereeing standards could be improved, all decisions even themselves out. You get some dodgy decisions go your way and you get some go against you. That's football.

Sep 24, 2003
Plymouth
Isondil":2mfj9w8p said:

I've just watched this on the link below. Correct decision in the end, but can't help being a bit uncomfortable about given offsides being reversed. I'm not saying they did in this case, but if the flag goes up what if the goalie/defenders have reacted to this and might have otherwise prevented the goal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42712751

Jan 22, 2016
Kevin_Gollop":2lgq55gk said:
Isondil":2lgq55gk said:

I've just watched this on the link below. Correct decision in the end, but can't help being a bit uncomfortable about given offsides being reversed. I'm not saying they did in this case, but if the flag goes up what if the goalie/defenders have reacted to this and might have otherwise prevented the goal?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/42712751

Agree with the above. One of the many reasons for me why it can't be applied to our game.

I appreciate we have to be open minded when it comes to the introduction of technology, but the more we see of it, the less convinced I'm becoming.

A

ArgyleAndy

The majority of people complaining about the introduction of VAR are probably the same people that complain about the standard of refereeing.

Jan 22, 2016
ArgyleAndy":2qrhwkog said:
The majority of people complaining about the introduction of VAR are probably the same people that complain about the standard of refereeing.

VAR does not improve the standard of refereeing. Two different arguments.

A

ArgyleAndy

Jenko14 said:
ArgyleAndy said:

Sorry, should have said are the same people that give the ref abuse every week for incorrect decisions.

It's 2018 - people should stop living in the past and embrace technology and change.

Jan 22, 2016
ArgyleAndy":3q4z4ieo said:
Jenko14":3q4z4ieo said:
ArgyleAndy":3q4z4ieo said:

Sorry, should have said are the same people that give the ref abuse every week for incorrect decisions.

It's 2018 - people should stop living in the past and embrace technology and change.

I have no problem with technology. BUT, as a football fan, do you really want to wait 60 seconds before you can celebrate a goal? Football is a far emotive game for fans than any other sport I've watched live. Do we want that dumbed down?

A

ArgyleAndy

Jenko14 said:
ArgyleAndy said:
Jenko14 said:
ArgyleAndy said:

I have no problem with technology. BUT, as a football fan, do you really want to wait 60 seconds before you can celebrate a goal? Football is a far emotive game for fans than any other sport I've watched live. Do we want that dumbed down?

If it provided the correct outcome then, yeah sure.