Slightly Arrogant? | Page 3 | PASOTI
  • This site is sponsored by Lang & Potter.

Slightly Arrogant?

M

Muffin Man

tigertony":gek3ajud said:
ICRBD":gek3ajud said:
PREDICTIONS LEAGUE: Swindon Town v Plymouth Argyle
The author seems to think STFC are sort of 'high and mighty' but when we won the Div 2 wasn't it 103 points and gates at the end of 16K+ not 11K
As someone posted before we can remember Wolves and Wigan. Greens in - 3 points - greens out - thankyou and goodbye.

Your points total in 01-02 was 102 the same as ours was in 85-86 and your average attendance over the season was 8,787 and our average attendance this season is 8,102 not much difference really is it?

thankyou and goodbye.

P

PlymRobin

Swindon fan here, the website you got that off is always full of idiots so wouldnt read that IMO.

Im at uni in Plymouth and have been to a few of your games this season so know that it wont be easy as do the majority of Town fans. Glad you have moved away from the relegation zone as some of the games i went to (Vale, Swindon, Rotherham and Accrington) it looked pretty bleak.

Anyway looking forward to actually having a good number of away fans at our place for once! Think we will just about sneak it 1 or 2 nil but all the best

Jun 21, 2005
N Hampshire
Gary_Wills":17oxntvx said:
"not the team they were"?? Have to admire their memory capacity.

Team Sat Oct 22 v Swindon Town
Jake Cole, Durell Berry, Curtis Nelson, Ben Gibson, Robbie Williams, Will Atkinson (Onismor Bhasera), Simon Walton, Conor Hourihane, Ladjie Soukouna (Jamie Griffiths), Warren Feeney (Isaac Vassell), Matt Lecointe
We're much better now :scarf:

F

Forever The Optimist

I know betting against your own side is sacrilege, but based on Sam182's stat, Swindon win to nil at 13/10 looks a rather good bet. Here's hoping it stands no chance!

Dec 20, 2011
2-2 , Loads of yellow cards & one sent off from each side for a mid second half fracas.

They will be really up for it but wouldnt it be great to to take the jam from PDCs donought.

I take it the Gills issue hasnt been resolved?? Kent Police expecting trouble??

P

PlymRobin

John Eldridge":ldjsppb0 said:
I take it the Gills issue hasnt been resolved?? Kent Police expecting trouble??
Nope still hasnt been resolved, tickets are going on sale tomoz although could still be behind closed doors.

Their is a one way rivalry with the Pikeys, they hate us and we dont care about them. All goes back to the 70s so there is always heightened police around this game as we are their main rivals strangely. Gillingham chairman being stingy, not like the extra 3000 fans is going to give him any extra revenue to pay for the police now is it...

Out of interest, any injury worries or anyone definately out for you guys tomoz?

Sep 16, 2009
Bournemouth
Ive never understood this Gillingham v Swindon thing. Doesnt it go back to the 1987 play off final reply at Selhurst Park? Swindon won 2-1 as I recall and Gills never got over it? There's no other reason why a Kent side should hate a side from wiltshire.

Mind you Argyle fans dont like Luton and that all started with Joe Big mouth Kinnear....

M

Muffin Man

Bezza":3j0676lk said:
Ive never understood this Gillingham v Swindon thing. Doesnt it go back to the 1987 play off final reply at Selhurst Park? Swindon won 2-1 as I recall and Gills never got over it? There's no other reason why a Kent side should hate a side from wiltshire.

Mind you Argyle fans dont like Luton and that all started with Joe Big mouth Kinnear....

No the rivalry goes back even further than that back to 78-79 season......

The rivalry between Gillingham and Swindon is one of the most unlikely in League football - but since the teams renewed acquaintance in 2006 after nearly nineteen years absence, it soon became apparent that the rivalry was just as intense, perhaps more so, than with some of the Town's local derbies - a fact surprising for any Town fan under forty years of age!.

The rivalry started in March 1979, when, with both teams in the running for promotion, Swindon visited Priestfield one position and three points behind the Gills, but with two games in hand. Gillingham themselves were equal on points with third-placed Swansea, and just three points behind leaders Watford. In a fiery match, the Gills went 2-0 ahead in the first 25 minutes, but ten minutes later the Town had pulled it back to 2-2. That was how the scoring stayed, but other events were to make the game far more memorable. After Gillingham had goalscorer Westwood sent off for foul and abusive language, Priestfield went into uproar, incensed by what they considered to be poor refereeing and gamesmanship by Town player Ray McHale - and in the second half, a Gills fan got onto the pitch and punched the referee - knocking him out.

It got worse for Gillingham when they visited Swindon for the return leg in May. Now a point ahead of the Town and in a promotion spot, Gillingham had another player sent off for a tackle on McHale, and after the Town went 3-0 up, their players began to single out McHale for some retribution, the game turning nasty again. The game eventually finished 3-1, and as the players returned to the dressing room, there was a fracas in the tunnel - Swindon coach Wilf Tranter having to go to hospital with facial injuries after being punched. Two Gills players ended up in court over the incident, both were acquitted - and the season ended with both teams missing out on promotion - the Gills by a single point, which they considered to be stolen from them during the two games with Swindon, and a rivalry was born.

Lundan Cabbie

⚪️ Pasoti Visitor ⚪️
Sep 3, 2008
Plymouth
pilgrim_pete":3upol9i7 said:
Are they in position to overhaul our record points tally?

Another reason to do 'em!

Just as arrogant!!!!! :roll:

History lesson needed I think.

In 1985/86 Swindon Town scored a record 102 points to win the level 4 League title. This has never been beaten!

Nov 8, 2010
Lundan Cabbie":1q38hibp said:
pilgrim_pete":1q38hibp said:

In 1985/86 Swindon Town scored a record 102 points to win the level 4 League title. This has never been beaten!

When he said "our" he meant "us and Swindon". :greensmile:

A

argyle dude

ICRBD":2eugb4ot said:
Time of the last goal - I'll go 87mins

Well, they may not have won 4 nil, and they may not have secured promotion yet but at least he was close with one of his predictions.

Apr 9, 2009
Mutley
Lundan Cabbie":29kuxng6 said:
pilgrim_pete":29kuxng6 said:

Ah yes but wasn't this one of the dodgy ones possibly secured with envelopes of cash? Or did that come later?